ADVERTISEMENT

1 Top 10 Player or 2-3 Top 20 Players is all RU needs to get the ball rolling

MikeRU1766

Junior
Mar 7, 2015
I truly believe A LOT of the 2016 and even 2017 are very high on Rutgers and know in there hearts it is one of the few places you can go and play big time college football and be at a place that doesn't chew you up and spits you out, but instead truly cares about you and your FUTURE. And this is not just something I am saying.... look up any potential recruits interview and 90% of them mention how Rutgers TRULY has the family feel and how the coaching staff and the tutors and the whole staff really care about the players success ON AND OFF the field and make sure they are poised to succeed on graduation day whether it be in Pro Football or a career in the working world.

Anyway, I think a lot of players WANT to attend a place like this, BUT they also are still high school kids and fitting into the pack is still the way most kids minds work in high school. Not many kids have come to realize that a real joy in life is standing up for something you know is right and being a LEADER. All it would take is 1 Top 10 guy or 2-3 Top 20 guys (like Hawkins and Johnson from Camden) to make a commitment to Rutgers for the 2016 year and I think a lot of other guys will feel comfortable getting on board as well now that they don't have to be the first to make the plunge.

And honestly I am really hoping Ahmir Mitchell is that guy. He will obviously get a shot immediately to be our #1 receiver and he will have either a 4 star in Laviano or a 4 star in Rettig throwing him the rock. That must be very attractive to him... plus the track record recently Rutgers has had with WR's in the NFL has to stand out to him as a really incredible opportunity to achieve his dream of playing in the NFL while at the same time being close enough so that his parents and family and friends can come see him become a legit star.

Oh and don't forget he or WHOEVER becomes the first big commit will go down as being the one who got the ball rolling on the LEGENDARY 2016 class of Rutgers Football that forever pushed Rutgers into the elite of college football!

It would be nice if RU was able to get some of these more highly touted players in the state this year. However, i don't really buy into the idea that it takes a specific recruit to create a "snowball effect". In the end, i don't think it works that way. RU should be a lot more desirable for heavily recruited players now. Now stable in a top conference, the school offers a lot. I believe it's going to be a process over time regarding getting top prospects to sign at RU. The key is "sign"...verbal commitments aren't binding as we know. The team needs to be solid on the field this fall...that will help.

Reactions: ron313
There have been plenty of recruits with that tag in the past. The Pied Piper, so to speak, of the Rutgers program.The only thing that keeps high profile recruits coming is winning! Believe it or not, how many of the 2016 recruits have any REAL memory of Brian Leonard? Most won't be impressed with anything but recent BIG wins and exciting Bowl games. Recent being 2 or 3 years.

IDK if I agree that there isn't a "Pied Piper" effect in college football recruiting. In 2014 it sure seemed like after Kiy Hester and Blacknall de-committed, many other recruits followed. Sure seems like we witnessed a Pied Piper effect there, albeit a negative one for us Rutgers fans.

So anyway it also seems like the 2016 class is closer than most classes and that they all talk to each other more and travel together more, etc. so that's why I think if we can 1 or 2 real good recruits to commit that many others will take the plunge as well.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Most of us would be happy in Rutgers landed this generation's Doug Flutie, who was recruited by one Div-1program.

ADVERTISEMENT