ADVERTISEMENT

2015 UWW Junior World Team Trials

obrats

Senior
Mar 28, 2013
Tournament will be kicking off at 10:00 am est, Rutgers has two wrestlers competing today.

60kg - Anthony Giraldo has a bye first round and will wrestle Colton McCrystal in the quarter finals. McCrystal started for Nebraska as a true freshman 2013-14 season, and red shirted this past season. Had a very good red shirt year going 24-5. Will be a tough match for Giraldo.

66kg - Anthony Ashnault has Vincenzo Joseph in the first round, he is a HS Senior who if you don't follow HS is VERY good. He finished the season ranked #2 at 152 pounds and the 7th ranked senior in the country (all weights). He is committed and will be wrestling for Penn State next year. I like AA in this match although it should be a good match.

You can track the matches on Trackwrestling.com and if you have a Flo subscription you can watch the matches over there.

Nice 8-2 win for Ash over Gabriel Grahek from University of Wisconsin.

Ash will wrestle another HS Senior in Matt Kolodzik from Blair who is headed to Princeton in September. Going to be another tough match.

Giraldo won 6-5. And Ash crushed Kolodzik was winning 7-0 and got the pin.

Ash brutalized Kolodzik. looks like that loss to Joseph fired him up.

interesting challenge tournament so far. Michigan blue chip Massa just beat PSU RS sensation Nolf. Massa will get OkSt RS Martseller in the 74kg final. 66kg final will be Joseph vs Retherford, both PSU. 84 final will be Rogers, OkSt and Bernstein, Navy (via NJ).

Did anyone watch Ashnault/Joseph? Looking for some analysis about what happened.

Did anyone watch Ashnault/Joseph? Looking for some analysis about what happened.
Ash was down 2-0 when i started watching but he looked aggressive the whole match. Joseph has some really good defense and scored his second 2 on a counter. Ash had a very nice far leg pic to get on the board and had a couple nice chances but again, great defense by Joseph. Had a standing chest lock with about 15 seconds left but couldn't make anything out of it. thought Anthony was going for a lateral drop but then backed off.

it was a very evenly wrestled match. Ashnault would still would have to go through Retherford just to get to Pico if he won. he just beat Wisconsin's starting 149 pounder Crone in the conso semis and will have blue chip Minnesota recruit (out of Iowa) Freddy Stroker for third.

How many in each weight class advance to the Jr Worlds? Just the champ or more?

Ash with a nice win over Stocker who is headed to University of Minnesotta 7-6.

My opinion that is a nice tournament for Ash. Comes away with 4-1 record 3 months after an injury that kept him off the mats for weeks.

Don't care that he goes to PSU, kudos to NJ native Anthony Cassar. 1st in state 2014 over our guy Ralph Normandia. Won a spot on Jr World team.

How many in each weight class advance to the Jr Worlds? Just the champ or more?
i think its the same as seniors. top 3 make the team but only the champs travel and get to wrestle in the junior worlds.

Ash essentially finishes 4, behind Pico, Retherford and Joseph.

that's a pretty tough weight. throw in Jack & Martinez (5th and R12 last year respectively) and a handful of other D1 starters and blue chip recruits. too.

Not a bad tournament at all. I like Ashnault's chances in a rematch with Joseph as well.

and good experience for Giraldo, tho i'm sure he'd have like to have done better. 60 was pretty tough too and he got in some solid matches.

and good experience for Giraldo, tho i'm sure he'd have like to have done better. 60 was pretty tough too and he got in some solid matches.
Scott siad Ash was very rusty and did not wrestle well. He said he will have a big summer though.

Graff finishes 3rd in the senior challenge tournament, so 4th on the ladder. very close to making the team. if he can stay at 57 he can do some damage.

The Senior World Trials will be televised at 6pm tonight on NBCSH (channel 146 on Cablevision) . Some big match ups, I won't reveal the Dake - David Taylor result lol.

Also, I see Montgomery HS, NJ 195 champ Anthony Cassar won the title at 96 Kg. I see he's going to Penn St, and read elsewhere he is actually walking on there. Anyone know if RU made a hard push for him. We certainly could use talent at the upper weights soon.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/penn_state_wrestler_anthony_ca.html

Last edited:
The Senior World Trials will be televised at 6pm tonight on NBCSH (channel 146 on Cablevision) . Some big match ups, I won't reveal the Dake - David Taylor result lol.

Also, I see Montgomery HS, NJ 195 champ Anthony Cassar won the title at 96 Kg. I see he's going to Penn St, and read elsewhere he is actually walking on there. Anyone know if RU made a hard push for him. We certainly could use talent at the upper weights soon.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/penn_state_wrestler_anthony_ca.html
How we could not have recruited Cassar successfully escapes and alarms me? Were there no overtures made? Could it be academics (and yet there he is at Penn State)? I contrast the apparent growth in Cassar (on the World Junior Team) and Normandia in a little over a year, and I wonder why any student really focused on wrestling development in addition to academics would choose Rutgers over an elite program, (even as a walk-on)?

How we could not have recruited Cassar successfully escapes and alarms me? Were there no overtures made? Could it be academics (and yet there he is at Penn State)? I contrast the apparent growth in Cassar (on the World Junior Team) and Normandia in a little over a year, and I wonder why any student really focused on wrestling development in addition to academics would choose Rutgers over an elite program, (even as a walk-on)?
not exactly a killer bracket,kids a good wrestler but lets not get carried away.He is at least another year away from starting maybe more if Stout goes '97. That being said he would be a starter @RU...

Anyone else notice that Coach Pritzlaff was in the corner of Kendric Maple today? That would be a great addition to SKWC if he was to come. Was a National Champion and 3 time All American at Oklahoma.

I think once PSU came into the picture, Cassar was pretty much set on going there. Not sure if Rutgers was really an option in his eyes. You can recruit a kid all day, but if he doesn't want to come here there's nothing you can really do about it.

Quick Tech fall in 2nd period, wow ! Metcalf also dominated Jordan Oliver.

Hey there's a girl wrestling now ,,Provisnor, from Rancocas Valley !
Jordan Burroughs dominated Kyle Dake....very impressive

not exactly a killer bracket,kids a good wrestler but lets not get carried away.He is at least another year away from starting maybe more if Stout goes '97. That being said he would be a starter @RU...
World Junior Team member is an accomplishment, no matter the field. But most importantly, just look at the growth in Cassar. It is conceivable that he would even be near his current condition and skill development if he were at Rutgers? Maybe I'm wrong, and we all just underestimated him in high school. No one would have predicted what Burroughs has become on the basis of his NJ scholastic title. If Normandia emerges in the next year or two, then I'll be content. I just remember that the two had great battles in their senior years, so I'd like to hope that Normandia develops as well.
Why do we have such a hard time recruiting in our upper weights is beyond me? That's REALLY the issue that frustrates me? B10, New Jersey, NY and PA as neighbors, and we just STRUGGLE.

World Junior Team member is an accomplishment, no matter the field. But most importantly, just look at the growth in Cassar. It is conceivable that he would even be near his current condition and skill development if he were at Rutgers? Maybe I'm wrong, and we all just underestimated him in high school. No one would have predicted what Burroughs has become on the basis of his NJ scholastic title. If Normandia emerges in the next year or two, then I'll be content. I just remember that the two had great battles in their senior years, so I'd like to hope that Normandia develops as well.
Why do we have such a hard time recruiting in our upper weights is beyond me? That's REALLY the issue that frustrates me? B10, New Jersey, NY and PA as neighbors, and we just STRUGGLE.
probably not a good idea to compare PSU and RU's recruiting abilities. With Cael and the 4 titles, PSU is at the Iowa and Oklahoma State level. Maryland is probably the closest peer and even they've got more history and better facilities.

Anyone else notice that Coach Pritzlaff was in the corner of Kendric Maple today? That would be a great addition to SKWC if he was to come. Was a National Champion and 3 time All American at Oklahoma.
Donny was in Howe's corner too. Either one of those guys would be a fantastic addition to any wrestling room.

probably not a good idea to compare PSU and RU's recruiting abilities. With Cael and the 4 titles, PSU is at the Iowa and Oklahoma State level. Maryland is probably the closest peer and even they've got more history and better facilities.
Of course, I'm not comparing Rutgers to PSU. I am comparing Rutgers to Va Tech, Virginia, ODU, ... and it's only a matter of time before Princeton, now that they have decided to open their coffers and invest in wrestling, routinely produces a better squad. They are getting top-ranked wrestlers in their high-school weight classes, and we struggle to recruit ranked wrestlers (using Internmat rankings, for example). Of course, it all doesn't matter if we can replicate the Edinboro model and really coach up and develop the recruits we do get. What Edinboro has done in the past few years gives me hope, but it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth to see NJ's best public and parochial student-wrestlers (set aside Blair and the preps) go to ACC schools that only started investing in wrestling in the last decade. The same can be said about us, but we're in the B1G now, and I expected a bigger boost in recruiting just by virtue of our new conference affiliation.

What is it to be considered a "junior" for Junior world team? Is it age?

Thanks

Of course, I'm not comparing Rutgers to PSU. I am comparing Rutgers to Va Tech, Virginia, ODU, ... and it's only a matter of time before Princeton, now that they have decided to open their coffers and invest in wrestling, routinely produces a better squad. They are getting top-ranked wrestlers in their high-school weight classes, and we struggle to recruit ranked wrestlers (using Internmat rankings, for example). Of course, it all doesn't matter if we can replicate the Edinboro model and really coach up and develop the recruits we do get. What Edinboro has done in the past few years gives me hope, but it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth to see NJ's best public and parochial student-wrestlers (set aside Blair and the preps) go to ACC schools that only started investing in wrestling in the last decade. The same can be said about us, but we're in the B1G now, and I expected a bigger boost in recruiting just by virtue of our new conference affiliation.
It's been said a bunch on here: $ & lack of state pride are the main problems. Regarding wrestling, $ is a big issue, as we still don't fully fund OOS schollies (someone please correct me if that changed), don't have enough elite SKWC wrestlers/coaches to wrestle with regularly, & the South Plainfield PAL has a bigger wrestling room. Hopefully, we get fully funded OOS schollies, more $ for SKWC wrestlers/coaches & wrestling gets a new larger room on Livingston in the basketball facilty on the parking deck. We're heading in the right direction but it's been slower than people want, especially the coaches.

Edinboro also has a fairly well known wrestler as their AD helping their situation.

VaTech and UVA have been further ahead of RU's program for a while now. It's tough catching up in collegiate athletics. not only do you have to increase the resources your school is committing to the sport, you have to outpace all the programs you are trying to catch and pass, a lot of whom are also increasing their spending and resource allocation.

What is it to be considered a "junior" for Junior world team? Is it age?

Thanks
for international UWW events, Junior means under 21 (18-20) and Cadet means under 18 (15-17). so for 2015, you have to turn 20 during the calendar year to be a Junior.

Edinboro also has a fairly well known wrestler as their AD helping their situation.

VaTech and UVA have been further ahead of RU's program for a while now. It's tough catching up in collegiate athletics. not only do you have to increase the resources your school is committing to the sport, you have to outpace all the programs you are trying to catch and pass, a lot of whom are also increasing their spending and resource allocation.
Wow, I didn't know Bruce Baumgartner (from NJ's Manchester HS, '78) was AD. One of the all-time great American freestyle wrestlers. So, Edinboro must be well-resourced for being a smallish university, but they still manage to produce great NCAA wrestlers who usually aren't the elite, top-ranked scholastic athletes. Tim Flynn really coaches them up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT