ADVERTISEMENT

2nd wbb college player this year to enter the WNBA draft early

A couple of weeks ago, she said she definitely was staying.

Based on what some people at RebKell have found on Twitter, I'd say her teammates were surprised, too.

I don't think they are chasing the WNBA dream, but rather the money that can be made in Europe.
Others will follow this new trend taking hold in women's basketball.

Originally posted by redshoes:
I don't think they are chasing the WNBA dream, but rather the money that can be made in Europe.
I agree, Europe is where the money is made in WBB .

Originally posted by redshoes:
I'm sure the money is part of it, the risk of injury is real, too.

I haven't studied the matter, but have the impression that this is a much less deep draft than next year, so in that regard is not a bad decision either (this may apply more to Zahui-B than Lloyd, tho). I think even in the women draft position may affect salary, tho I'm not sure.

It may become a more common trend, but the rules will still limit it - few other than rising seniors are likely to be 22 as required or foreign. And given the limited jobs in the W, only some of these are likely to feel strong enough about being drafted.

The money overseas (not only Europe) isn't enough to miss out on an education for unless you are a superstar. Also, as Piph illustrated, you can leave any time to go play for pay overseas, it is only playing in the WNBA that requires you be 22 or foreign.

Posted by Doug

Like the NBA, this avenue really only is available to a limited number of players just based on skill (leaving aside the age limits), but apparently the money in Russia is insane, so if you're eligible and good enough, right now it makes sense to go as early as you can.

There's some thinking on RebKell that overseas leagues are unlikely to pay unless you have the WNBA stamp of approval (interesting, to say the least), which would make it not particularly profitable to leave early unless you can qualify for the draft or you're in the Stewart/Loyd category where everyone knows how good you are.

I hope this doesn't become a trend over the coming years. Players leaving early is one of the things that's ruining the men's game. I know it won't happen to the extent it happens with the men, but there was a time it never happened with the women.

I have mixed emotions regarding this trend. I guess if its not a player on your team, its OK.

But considering the salary and the ever present possibility of a career ending injury, why not go get the money. As for receiving a degree, the degree will always be there should they decide to get it.

A player does not need a WNBA stamp of approval, as Women's College Basketball is scouted by International Clubs. They are well aware of the players who might make it in their leagues. Most of the scouting is done by agent and players on this side of the pond. I am sure Lloyd is all set, knowing where she is going and the salary she will receive.

Can you imagine what salary B. Stewart would command?

Just to be clear, Loyd is old enough to be eligible for the draft, so she'll be in the WNBA draft.

Hmmmm interesting This just might be a ploy to up her status and salary in the WNBA

Either way its a win win situation for Lloys

Originally posted by BeKnighted:
Just to be clear, Loyd is old enough to be eligible for the draft, so she'll be in the WNBA draft.
As is Zahui B Was very surprised to learn she is 22 but it does explain why she seemed head and shoulders above others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT