ADVERTISEMENT

4-10 Minute Quarters and some other interesting rule changes

RUClassof67

All American
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2004
The NCAA just release some very interesting rule changes being considered for 2015-16:

1. 4 10-minute quarters rather than 2-20 minute halves

2. The committee also recommended teams be allowed to advance the ball to the front court following a timeout called after made baskets in the last 59.9 seconds of the fourth quarter and any overtime periods.

3. For the upcoming season, the committee is proposing a team not receive a new 10-second backcourt count when a throw-in results from the following:

• The ball is deflected out of bounds by the defense.
• There is a held ball and the possession arrow favors the offensive team.
• A technical foul is called on the offensive team while the ball is in its backcourt.

4. The committee recommended defenders be allowed to place a forearm or an open hand with a bend in the elbow on an offensive post player with the ball whose back is to the basket.

Here's the linked article http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...e-recommends-moving-womens-games-four-quarter

Interesting!

edited to add the link to the original article

The NCAA just release some very interesting rule changes being considered for 2015-16:

2. The committee also recommended teams be allowed to advance the ball to the front court following a timeout called after made baskets in the last 59.9 seconds of the fourth quarter and any overtime periods.

3. For the upcoming season, the committee is proposing a team not receive a new 10-second backcourt count when a throw-in results from the following:

• A technical foul is called on the offensive team while the ball is in its backcourt.

4. The committee recommended defenders be allowed to place a forearm or an open hand with a bend in the elbow on an offensive post player with the ball whose back is to the basket.

Here's the linked article http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...e-recommends-moving-womens-games-four-quarter

Interesting!

They have talked about 10 minute quarters a few times in the past and it always got rejected. It'll be interesting to see if it passes this time. The move to the frontcourt in the last minute is nice when you are behind but sucks when you are ahead.

I kind of like halves, but standardization with the international game makes sense. And definitely the 10-second rule should be fixed.

Reactions: dmd78
I completely agree with the rule change that will not allow the 10-second backcourt clock to be reset after the defense knocks it out of bounds. Good defense should be rewarded and this does exactly that! I had been talking to fellow fans about this last season and all agreed it was a stupid rule to reset it to 10 seconds. Way to go committee on this one!:):):)

Interesting!

OK with #1, so long as the effect is not to have an additional time out during each half. Right now, the media times out are at 16, 12, 8 and 4 minutes. When will they be with quarters instead of halves? It's about time #3 is fixed. I also agree with #4. However, I'm absolutely against #2. If a team wants to advance the ball to half court during the last minute or in overtime, do it by making a physical play, not because a ridiculous rule gives you half the court for doing nothing.

Right now, the media times out are at 16, 12, 8 and 4 minutes. When will they be with quarters instead of halves?

My understanding is that media times out will be at the first dead ball whistle under 5 minutes in each quarter as well as between the 1st and 2nd quarters and 3rd and 4th quarters. That eliminates 2 media times out. Instead of 4 each half for a total of 8 per game, it is down to 6 per game.

I also believe that if a team calls a time out within 30 seconds of a scheduled media time out, that timeout will replace the scheduled media to.

Reactions: ChasRC69
its a pretty radical change to go to quarters...there is no way they do this in the mens game. Might be a way to make money with even more commercials

its a pretty radical change to go to quarters...there is no way they do this in the mens game. Might be a way to make money with even more commercials
Actually the proposed change means two less media timeouts. There would be 1 media timeout each quarter and 1 after 1st and 3rd quarters.

Why should a timeout EVER change the location of an inbound play? For the life of me I don't understand this one (and it's in other leagues too).

1. Don't care.
2. No. Why should the rules change because it is the last minute?
3. Long overdue. Good D should be rewarded.
4. Yes. Evans would have been on the floor more. O player uses their butt
to push the Defender back but the D player gets called if their arm touches the back of the O player = dumb.

because it makes games more exciting.

So does inbounding from half court on every play.

I just think it creates some sort of unfair advantage for a team to work hard and then have a "get out of jail free" card to move the ball up like that. I mean, we purposefully set up our defensive system to press full court if we want to. Just doesn't make sense to me to change it for the last minute of the game/quarter/half/whatever it was.

It also requires you to have a time out to use at the end of the game... and gives you one less time out that you can use in an end-game situation. You're essentially trading a timeout for a better inbounding position.

I'm not personally a fan of quarters - I think there's more flow to halves - but trying to be consistent with other levels of the sport makes sense to me.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
I agree with BeK. I guess I should "like" his comment but don't know how to do that, as Knight Time Fa does.

I'm not personally a fan of quarters - I think there's more flow to halves - but trying to be consistent with other levels of the sport makes sense to me.
Before the season began, I wasn't sure about the change to 4 quarters, but I've decided that I don't like it. I'm just not sure why. What do others think?

I am liking it, but admit that in the beginning I was thinking it was a mistake. As a fan, I find the games easier to watch but I cannot explain why. I like the quarter ends, where clock management comes into play, and the fans and teams get a chance to have a break, to regroup. Most of all, teams in foul trouble have a fresh start each quarter, which seems to be an advantage to a team like Rutgers.

The games seem to end faster. That might have more to do with less time outs and now you only have the one media time out each quarter plus the between quarters time out as opposed to four media time outs per half. One thing that took some getting used to: Looking up at the clock shortly after the game has started and seeing just 8 or 9 minutes left.

The big negative to me is the complete elimination of 1 and 1s. That was always such a strategic component of games down the stretch and it's gone! Feels like a step backwards for women's basketball.

Reactions: RUClassof67
I love the 4 quarters and the elimination of the 1-and-1.
The quarter system drastically decreases the negative value of any given foul (since the bonus resets every 10 minutes instead of every 20 minutes). To me this is great because is reduces the impact of the referee variability on the game. It also breaks the game up into more discrete chunks and makes that makes it easy, in my mind, for coaches to manage player minutes.
I never liked the 1-and-1, so I love that it is gone. The whole getting one thing at 7 fouls and then something different at 10 felt very odd to me. And it made end game situations much more variable. It always felt like it would penalize the team that was ahead at the end of the game because they would not necessarily get the same number of FTs for a given foul game to game. The rule change removes the variability and I like that.

Reactions: RUinHP and LtCol144
I love the 4 quarters and the elimination of the 1-and-1.
The quarter system drastically decreases the negative value of any given foul (since the bonus resets every 10 minutes instead of every 20 minutes). To me this is great because is reduces the impact of the referee variability on the game. It also breaks the game up into more discrete chunks and makes that makes it easy, in my mind, for coaches to manage player minutes.
I never liked the 1-and-1, so I love that it is gone. The whole getting one thing at 7 fouls and then something different at 10 felt very odd to me. And it made end game situations much more variable. It always felt like it would penalize the team that was ahead at the end of the game because they would not necessarily get the same number of FTs for a given foul game to game. The rule change removes the variability and I like that.

Again, it's happened: Jesse voices my thoughts about something in basketball quite precisely.

ADVERTISEMENT