ADVERTISEMENT

4 Games for Brady upheld

JPhoboken

Heisman Winner
Mar 15, 2005
4 Games it is for Brady. Penalty Upheld on appeal.

Without rehashing the long thread we had here once the news broke, just a few notes.

Tom, its always the coverup my friend, had you fessed up and asked for leniency, you probably could have worked something out with Goodell. Deny, Deny, Deny to the end didn't do to much for you this time.

Conveniently, when the investigators asked for the phone, Tom wouldn't, and couldn't produce it because he had it destroyed with all 10k text messages on it, something he failed to mention to investigators until June.

The day the S _ _ t hit the fan, and the next 2 days, Brady communicated with his equipment assistant Mr. Jastremski in 8 phone calls totalling 55 minutes and over 14 text messages, and had a meeting with him in the QB room, a room Jastremski had never been in. He told the investigators he could not recall any specifics of the communications, but somehow specifically suggested they were probably talking about preparing balls for the superbowl!!!!!! Pretty Funny Tom.

Again, what he did had no real effect on the games, but was technically cheating and Tom knew it. He got caught and decided a coverup was the way to go. Instead of fessing up and asking for leniency and just denied to the end. 4 Games. Of course he won't be missing any Jet games!

http://media.nj.com/realtimesports_impact/other/07282015 -- FINAL Decision Tom Brady Appeal.pdf

Last edited:
Should have doubled the suspension when they found out he destroyed the phone

He handled it A-Rod style, though few people with the power and money of A-Rod ever selected a more unqualified lawyer than he did.

Last edited:
Brady: deflated balls in an already blowout of a game, 4 game suspension

Big Ben: sexually assaulted a female, 4 game suspension

Sounds about right

Sounds about right
Must be a crazy Patriot fan.
Reminds me of the stupid Pete Rose defenders

Sounds about right

Hey its all in good fun. As long as you produce in the NFL you can beat your toddler with a switch, beat up your girlfriend or wife, sexually assault whomever, take roids and get rigght back on the field after a short vacation. Hell you can even sleep with an underage prostitute or kill someone and be celebrated by ESPN and the NFL network and make it to the hall of fame.

Sounds about right

Rothlisberger was originally suspended for 6 games. But it was reduced to 4 because 1. He was contrite, and changed his ways 2. He was never charged with any crimes. Not defending him in any way, but he was never charged.

After Peterson, Hardy, and Rice, and all the bad publicity, its a new world out there in NFL behavior. Rothlisberger may have gotten 8 games or more if this happened now.

This really is about the NFL saying "enough is enough" with the Patriots. Is deflating balls a big deal? Probably not, but no team has been involved in more questionable activities over the years.

IMO, its not as much to do with the incident as it is to do with the perceived cover-up and lack of cooperation, and grandstanding for support. his owner was pissed also, but paused and decided to look at the bigger picture

No one has learned a damn thing since June 17, 1972.
The cover-up is always worse than the crime.

Was becoming a Pats and Brady fan, since they have so many RU guys and Belecheck loves RU. Really turned off by Brady's behavior.

The Pats asked if the punishment could be changed to a fine....I though sure, 15 mil per game.....next question?

don't agree that this was all because of the coverup.

and poor conduct off field, and on field cheating are 2 different animals.

they cheated, and who knows how long this has been going on.

this wasn't a one game thing, since it was the Ravens that tipped off the Colts that the Pats were deflating balls.

probably helped the receivers and ball carriers at least as much as it helped Brady.

much easier to hold onto a ball with a pound or two or three less pressure in it.

one extra dropped pass or fumble, and maybe the Pats don't win that Ravens game.

for all we know, this has been going on for yrs.

Looks like the judge was putting pressure on the NFL to settle today. Among other things, he said there didn't seem to be any specific evidence tied to the Indianapolis game, and he pressed the NFL's lawyer on what part of the suspension was for the deflation and what part was for not cooperating. The next hearing is scheduled for August 31, and the judge has agreed to issue a decision by September 4, 6 days before the Pats' first game.

He told them they could lose this one.

"its always the coverup my friend"

ain't that always the truth...

Hey its all in good fun. As long as you produce in the NFL you can beat your toddler with a switch, beat up your girlfriend or wife, sexually assault whomever, take roids and get rigght back on the field after a short vacation. Hell you can even sleep with an underage prostitute or kill someone and be celebrated by ESPN and the NFL network and make it to the hall of fame.
Just don't deflate game balls. That's serious.

All of the emotional hand wringing is silly.

The players collectively bargained to give the Commissioner's office sole discretion to levy punishments in matters relating to conduct and integrity of the game.

Right, wrong or indifferent, messing with the pressure of the balls goes to the integrity of the game.

Would anyone suggest that a pitcher doctoring a baseball isn't relevant? A batter corking his bat?

Who beats whom with what off the field isn't relevant.

If this judge rules in favor of Brady, which it appears he is leaning toward doing, he is overstepping the collectively bargained agreement both parties already agreed too.

Implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing? Agree that the CBA allowed Goodell to run the show, and don't know what state law is recited in the CBA, but the trial judge will stick it to the NFL for bad faith based on the questions raised by the judge today. OK, then the NFL appeals. The Appeals Court finds for the NFL. So the union appeals to the Supreme Court that may, or may not, hear the case. Meanwhile Brady gets an preliminary injunction and doesn't miss a game in 2015 ... and maybe 2016.

Implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing? Agree that the CBA allowed Goodell to run the show, and don't know what state law is recited in the CBA, but the trial judge will stick it to the NFL for bad faith based on the questions raised by the judge today. OK, then the NFL appeals. The Appeals Court finds for the NFL. So the union appeals to the Supreme Court that may, or may not, hear the case. Meanwhile Brady gets an preliminary injunction and doesn't miss a game in 2015 ... and maybe 2016.

And will forever be guilt in the only court that matters to him

Public Opinion...

Not over yet
And will forever be guilt in the only court that matters to him

Public Opinion...

Brady leasing NE to another Super Bowl Championship , will have the public back to claiming he's one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.
Goodell is not looking to good right now and might wind up looking like the bad guy in this mess.

Not over yet

Brady leasing NE to another Super Bowl Championship , will have the public back to claiming he's one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.
Goodell is not looking to good right now and might wind up looking like the bad guy in this mess.

Brady can win 3 more Super Bowls. The only people who won't think he is a cheating slug are Pats fans...

All of the emotional hand wringing is silly.

The players collectively bargained to give the Commissioner's office sole discretion to levy punishments in matters relating to conduct and integrity of the game.

Right, wrong or indifferent, messing with the pressure of the balls goes to the integrity of the game.

Would anyone suggest that a pitcher doctoring a baseball isn't relevant? A batter corking his bat?

Who beats whom with what off the field isn't relevant.

If this judge rules in favor of Brady, which it appears he is leaning toward doing, he is overstepping the collectively bargained agreement both parties already agreed too.

Interestingly enough, under the NFL's rules, the penalty for improperly inflated footballs is a fine, not a suspension.

Anyway, from what was said at the hearing, the judge seems to be of the view that it's not a question of whether the Commissioner's office gets to decide on punishments, but of whether he has complete discretion and whether he gave Brady a fair hearing. As he pointed out, even in arbitration you're entitled to a fair hearing.

Brady can win 3 more Super Bowls. The only people who won't think he is a cheating slug are Pats fans...
Not a Pats fan. I could care less about this and I dont think he is a cheating slug. Most of America (at least the people I know locally and across the country) could care less about this except people who hated the Patriots before this happened.

Must be a crazy Patriot fan.
That is a common affliction in the Commonwealth.
Photo from recent "Ice Bucket Challenge" with Governor Charlie Baker.
baker1.jpg

Not a Pats fan. I could care less about this and I dont think he is a cheating slug. Most of America (at least the people I know locally and across the country) could care less about this except people who hated the Patriots before this happened.

Especially considering that the officials tested only 4 of the Colts footballs at halftime and 3 of them were underinflated by one of the two officials. Another factor that people are conveniently forgetting is that the balls were inflated to the correct pressure at halftime... you know, when the Patriots extended a 17-7 halftime lead to a 45-7 rout. Perhaps it wasn't the underinflated football that were the difference, but Andrew Luck's career 70.8 career QB rating in the playoffs that was the significant factor in the game.

FYI: I'm a Giants fan. I love the fact that Eli is 2-0 against Brady and the Patriots in Super Bowls.

Should have doubled the suspension when they found out he destroyed the phone
I don't have a horse in this race, so the outcome doesn't concern me. But the cell phone destruction I actually support. I don't know a single human being who could withstand having their cell phone thrust into the public domain, let alone one of the more famous people in the United States. Forget about deflategate. What else was on that phone? Ten thousand text messages? Who knows, maybe Brady was having an affair. Maybe he and his buddy Ben Affleck texted about Affleck's affair. Maybe Tom was outrageously politically incorrect half the time. Or most of the time.

And regardless of the NFL's assurances that they would only examine the issue related texts, I don't believe that for a second. Somebody would have leaked the entire content of the phone within a week.

In Brady's shoes, I would have destroyed that phone in a heartbeat. Not to destroy evidence of deflate gate, but to prevent a whole load of laundry from being aired in public. I really believe the football related texts would have been the least of his problems.

Reactions: applesktrack
ADVERTISEMENT