ADVERTISEMENT

4* WR Brad Hawkins to annouce Friday...

devoted2ru

All American
Nov 27, 2006
Schools in the running are RU, South Carolina, Michigan, and Temple. -Would think Michigan probably has an edge here since his teammate, Ron Johnson, just gave the Wolverines his commit, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Another 4* WR whose recruitment appears to be winding down is that of Ahmir Mitchell, (though no announcement date has been set yet), with 3 schools apparently standing out: Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame. ...Appears RU is, unfortunately, not really in the picture any longer, but I think a lot of people on the board already had a feeling that was the case.

Schools in the running are RU, South Carolina, Michigan, and Temple. -Would think Michigan probably has an edge here since his teammate, Ron Johnson, just gave the Wolverines his commit, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Another 4* WR whose recruitment appears to be winding down is that of Ahmir Mitchell, (though no announcement date has been set yet), with 3 schools apparently standing out: Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame. ...Appears RU is, unfortunately, not really in the picture any longer, but I think a lot of people on the board already had a feeling that was the case.

What makes you guys think we don't have a shot with Hawkins?

I would think the Rutgers coaches made sure to point out that he is almost a carbon copy coming out of HS as our best receiver ever...... Mohammed Sanu. They both are running about the same 40 time according to ESPN (4.82) and Hawkins is 6'1 and 192lbs just like Sanu was. That fact ALONE I would think gives RU a solid chance because it is very appealing to a recruit to see that a school was able to take an extremely similar sized possession receiver like himself and physically and mentally raise his game to the NFL level.

Additionally, RU is a place where he will be able to compete for a starting spot and get the experience/stats that Sanu did.

Oh and with McDaniels as the OC Hawkins would be running a legit NFL offense which would just BE ANOTHER way that Rutgers would prepare him for the NFL.

Obviously I'm not saying I know where he is going to choose, but I AM saying that Rutgers sure has a lot of positives and I am definitely very hopeful that he is coming to the BANKS!

Reactions: ruready07
My bad. Didn't mean to make that sound bitter. Still good info.
MikeRU, you make some very valid points. I wouldn't be surprised if we land him. But right now, it seems like the top 10 NJ guys don't want to come here. They think leaving the state suits them better. And that's not just with NJ guys either. A Michigan fan posted in another thread here saying how the Michigan guys are leaving the state too. For some, leaving the state sounds like a pretty cool idea.

So are you guys saying that Hawkins is going to Michigan just because Ron Johnson committed or did you hear more/something additional about Hawkins?

I ask because I have been hoping for us to get either this guy or Harmon (Or both obviously) because I really do think they could be even better than Sanu and do work just like he did at Rutgers and then in the NFL!

My bad. Didn't mean to make that sound bitter. Still good info.
MikeRU, you make some very valid points. I wouldn't be surprised if we land him. But right now, it seems like the top 10 NJ guys don't want to come here. They think leaving the state suits them better. And that's not just with NJ guys either. A Michigan fan posted in another thread here saying how the Michigan guys are leaving the state too. For some, leaving the state sounds like a pretty cool idea.

OK so that makes me feel better then. I thought maybe you guys had heard something or had seen an article or interview or something that led you guys to that thought process.

It seems that you guys were just kind of guessing/voicing you guess on where he is attending. You guys had me worried for a second.... I really want Hawkins I think he really fits the program well and will do very well. (As well as Mitchell and Harmon as well)

Not a Rutgers man. As a matter,of fact, no 4 stars are Rutgers men.

Not a Rutgers man. As a matter,of fact, no 4 stars are Rutgers men.

I can't tell if you are begin sarcastic or not?

But obviously plenty of 4 star recruits are Rutgers men. All you have to do is look back at even just the past couple years and you will see we have gotten a bunch.

Reactions: RU#1fan
As far as Mitchell is concerned our staff at 247 does not believe he ends up at OSU as of right now. They don't feel he is a take right now for OSU since they are in great position with some other WRs they have rated higher on their board. Some believe he could outgrow the WR position.

But obviously plenty of 4 star recruits are Rutgers men. All you have to do is look back at even just the past couple years and you will see we have gotten a bunch.
Mike-
Are you paying attention to the multiple offer NJ 4 stars and where they're going the last three classes?
If these guys were interested in RU, we'd all know it.

As far as Mitchell is concerned our staff at 247 does not believe he ends up at OSU as of right now. They don't feel he is a take right now for OSU since they are in great position with some other WRs they have rated higher on their board. Some believe he could outgrow the WR position.

Mitchell is not going to outgrow the WR position.

Mike-
Are you paying attention to the multiple offer NJ 4 stars and where they're going the last three classes?
If these guys were interested in RU, we'd all know it.

The person I was responding to with that response made no mention of NJ 4 star recruits.... we were just discussing 4 star recruits in general.

I'm liking this Canadian target Chase Claypool...6'5" 215...Megatron size and impressive offer list. .

Reactions: JQRU91
I'm liking this Canadian target Chase Claypool...6'5" 215...Megatron size and impressive offer list. .

And yeah Chase Claypool is a stud. I really hope we get him as well. He is already a big boy and after a couple of years with Jeremy Cole he will be unstoppable.

I remember when I saw Sanu his freshman year at RU and he was obviously big, but not like freakishly big.

Then I didn't see him for 2 years and I saw him again walking around New Brunswick....... and WOW! The 2 years with the RU strength program did WONDERS for him. His biceps were now the size of my head and he was just overall a man and no longer a kid. And from what I hear the RU strength and conditioning program has made even bigger strides since then so I could only imagine what they could do with a guy like Claypool.

What ???? Plenty ?
Flood has landed just 1 Four Star between 2013 and 2014 Recruiting Classes ( Barnwell) and just one is this Incoming Class ( Ford).

Reactions: Local Shill
What ???? Plenty ?
Flood has landed just 1 Four Star between 2013 and 2014 Recruiting Classes ( Barnwell) and just one is this Incoming Class ( Ford).

lol the person I was responding to never made any specific mention of Flood recruits.

I was referring to the guys like Dorian Miller, Chris Mueller, Nadir Barnwell, Chris Laviano, Leonte Caroo, Darius Hamilton etc. just off the top of my head

lol the person I was responding to never made any specific mention of Flood recruits.

I was referring to the guys like Dorian Miller, Chris Mueller, Nadir Barnwell, Chris Laviano, Leonte Caroo, Darius Hamilton etc. just off the top of my head
Let me clarify then. Schiano is ancient history. I AM talking Flood and specifically NJ. the 4 stars want nothing to do with Rutgers. Why?

I realize it's a sexy/fun position to follow/discuss but IMO people get too hung up on WR's. And I played the goddamn position too lol. In the college game it isn't really necessary to have multiple stud wideouts especially in our offense. One explosive WR is all you need and then complimentary guys who who can catch the football with consistency and make plays in the clutch. I think Mack suffices as the explosive WR for this class.

Reactions: JQRU91
It seems that no NJ 4* WR's are interested in the exposure of being a big time WR at Rutgers. Instead they want to go to others schools where they can be 1 of many 4* WR's. Just don't get it...

Let me clarify then. Schiano is ancient history. I AM talking Flood and specifically NJ. the 4 stars want nothing to do with Rutgers. Why?

Can't say that I have an answer for that... obviously there are a lot of different variables that can affect these kind of things.

I do have a theory though that a lot of these recruits get nervous about being the "first" to commit to a certain school. But once 1 guy does, I feel like that will open up the floodgates. I feel like Rutgers is in the spot right now where once we just get the first 4 or 5 star recruits to commit and all the others that were waiting will start rolling in after that.

I always had this as a theory, but I read an article about Ahmir Mitchell that sort of confirmed it to me. They were asking him about where his recruiting stands, etc. and they brought up Rutgers and he said he loves Rutgers and that he would love to be the first of the Top10 kids in NJ to commit to Rutgers.

This definitely confirmed to me that these recruits do pay attention to stuff like that.

Also, another theory I have is that a lot of these 4 and 5 star guys know that they are highly ranked so they take their time and soak up the attention of the public and the coaches buttering them up, etc. I think at least a couple of these kids know where they want to go, but they just don't commit because they know that will end all the articles about their every visit and the message boards will be quieter and so on.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Since Hawkins and Mitchell are both still considering Michigan, I went to take a look at their list of 2016 recruits. It's interesting because so far they have twenty recruits and not a single wide receiver.

Hope he picks Michigan bc it helps with claypool.

It seems that no NJ 4* WR's are interested in the exposure of being a big time WR at Rutgers. Instead they want to go to others schools where they can be 1 of many 4* WR's. Just don't get it...
A few months ago Dubois was a 4 star....we wouldn't take his commit right now. Does he count or has he gotten worse in the off season?

Reactions: MikeRU1766
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT