ADVERTISEMENT

4* WR Brad Hawkins to annouce Friday...

Can't say that I have an answer for that... obviously there are a lot of different variables that can affect these kind of things.

I do have a theory though that a lot of these recruits get nervous about being the "first" to commit to a certain school. But once 1 guy does, I feel like that will open up the floodgates. I feel like Rutgers is in the spot right now where once we just get the first 4 or 5 star recruits to commit and all the others that were waiting will start rolling in after that.

I always had this as a theory, but I read an article about Ahmir Mitchell that sort of confirmed it to me. They were asking him about where his recruiting stands, etc. and they brought up Rutgers and he said he loves Rutgers and that he would love to be the first of the Top10 kids in NJ to commit to Rutgers.

This definitely confirmed to me that these recruits do pay attention to stuff like that.

Also, another theory I have is that a lot of these 4 and 5 star guys know that they are highly ranked so they take their time and soak up the attention of the public and the coaches buttering them up, etc. I think at least a couple of these kids know where they want to go, but they just don't commit because they know that will end all the articles about their every visit and the message boards will be quieter and so on.

Huh? theories and all this thought into recruiting, you're overcomplicating it. Maybe the reason that we don't land many of the top recruits is because of the perception of the program. I know it's hard for us as fans to hear that but the truth is, Rutgers hasn't done a thing in the Big 10, in fact we didn't win a single team sport championship in the B1G this year.

The truth is, we were relevant for about 3 weeks, 9 years ago in our swan song season that ended in a win in the Texas Bowl and ranked in the top 15. That was 9 years ago! We haven't been ranked in the top 25 since! What kind of perception do you think our program has? You need to come back to earth a little bit.

Until Rutgers proves it can hang with the big boys and not get blown out, don't expect any different results on the recruiting front. We will need a couple of seasons in a row ranked in the top 25 in order to start consistently landing the type of kids you are talking abot I'm not saying it's fair, just reality.

Reactions: MikeRU1766
Huh? theories and all this thought into recruiting, you're overcomplicating it. Maybe the reason that we don't land many of the top recruits is because of the perception of the program. I know it's hard for us as fans to hear that but the truth is, Rutgers hasn't done a thing in the Big 10, in fact we didn't win a single team sport championship in the B1G this year.

The truth is, we were relevant for about 3 weeks, 9 years ago in our swan song season that ended in a win in the Texas Bowl and ranked in the top 15. That was 9 years ago! We haven't been ranked in the top 25 since! What kind of perception do you think our program has? You need to come back to earth a little bit.

Until Rutgers proves it can hang with the big boys and not get blown out, don't expect any different results on the recruiting front. We will need a couple of seasons in a row ranked in the top 25 in order to start consistently landing the type of kids you are talking abot I'm not saying it's fair, just reality.

Not disagreeing with your premise on the whole, but we were ranked for most of the 2012 season.
We were also ranked briefly in 2009 and for the first few weeks of the 2007 season.

Not disagreeing with your premise on the whole, but we were ranked for most of the 2012 season.
We were also ranked briefly in 2009 and for the first few weeks of the 2007 season.

true but we didn't finish ranked and that's really what matters. It's not too farfetch'd to realize that if you don't consistently field a top 25 team, you won't consistently recruit top 25 classes.

I know some on this board think that because we're now in the BIG that recruits will start flowing in... Purdue is in the Big 10... Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, and Minnesota are in the big 10. None of these schools recruit particularly well according to "Rankings". This is the group that Rutgers is in at the present moment and until we start winning consistently against the uper tier teams, it's where we will stay.

It isn't an easy task, we have the lowest paid coach of any P5 team, the smallest stadium in the Big 10, terrible athletic facilities (beyond football) and next to no tradition. We're in the right conference now, that's a start but until the university starts heavily investing in the athletic department OR we get some big time donors, I fear it will be much of the same for RU

Mr Penn State,

Your Penn State team hasn't been ranked since 6 years ago but they still have the recruiting. Tenn hasn't been ranked for 8 years. IT's the coaches that do the recruiting.

Mr Penn State,

Your Penn State team hasn't been ranked since 6 years ago but they still have the recruiting. Tenn hasn't been ranked for 8 years. IT's the coaches that do the recruiting.
It's true that coaches matter in recruiting. But programs like Penn State and Tennessee also have a history of success to fall back on. Rutgers doesn't.

Mr Penn State,

Your Penn State team hasn't been ranked since 6 years ago but they still have the recruiting.

Ignore.

Bro, I'm not even going to aknowledge from here on out the 5 posters who think I'm a troll because I have stood up for Penn State. Not my problem you can't get over you hate of them but I'm a graduate of Rutgers. Just to clear up any confusion let me prove myself to you and MadHat so that you know I'm not joking...

I had season tix my 4 years at Rutgers,
Hansel and Griddle is waaaay better than the grease trucks
The Bus system is terrible unless you get Stan's bus, because he's the MAN!
I know about waiting 3 hours in line for King Neptune Night
I know about WebReg being the worst friggin online system I've ever encountered, haha
I know about when you are a freshman and trying to figure out where you are, that the Bubble is an excellent point of reference.
RU SCREW!
I know about what it's like living at Livingston and being stuck on College at 4 in the morning
I know that Professor Altshuler is sexy as hell, I don't care what anyone says. She made Econ worth going to, haha
Eric Legrand is everything that my school is about and we love him
I know about Rutgersfest
I know that when your at a party and you meet a girl who goes to Middlesex, STAY AWAY!
I know that even though we're not there yet, we have the most passionate fans you will find anywhere in the country.

So Sure, don't believe me, go ahead and think I'm a penn state guy, makes no difference to me as yes I do support Penn State, however RU is my school and I'd appreciate if you and the rest of the Trollbots would allow me to actually make a point without rolling ur eyes and yelling "Troll, Troll!" anytime I may say something you disagree with.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I can't understand why some think being a fan means "group think" or being a mindless robot !?! Independent thinking should be prized.

I can't understand why some think being a fan means "group think" or being a mindless robot !?! Independent thinking should be prized.

It's not group think man, it's the same 5 posters who come on this board, scout, 247 (they use the same user names) and are literally the RU equivalent of the Joe Bots on BWI. They try to push out anyone who challenges the way they think because in their minds, if you say one positive thing about Penn State on this board or anywhere else you are a troll.

It's rediculous really that these same guys are the ones who go on twitter to trash a 17 year old kid for choosing a school other than RU, it's embarrassing really.

I don't know why after 4 years they still get a hard on for harping on about Sandusky but hey it's what they do. They care more about Penn State losing than RU winning and because I've stood up for PSU in the past I was labelled a troll. Whatever like I said makes no difference to me, I'll continue to support both teams but of course RU is my alma mater so will always be #1 to me

Schools in the running are RU, South Carolina, Michigan, and Temple. -Would think Michigan probably has an edge here since his teammate, Ron Johnson, just gave the Wolverines his commit, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Another 4* WR whose recruitment appears to be winding down is that of Ahmir Mitchell, (though no announcement date has been set yet), with 3 schools apparently standing out: Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame. ...Appears RU is, unfortunately, not really in the picture any longer, but I think a lot of people on the board already had a feeling that was the case.
it is either michigan or south carolina for hawkins. for mitchell it is ohio state or michigan

It seems that no NJ 4* WR's are interested in the exposure of being a big time WR at Rutgers. Instead they want to go to others schools where they can be 1 of many 4* WR's. Just don't get it...

obviously for hot girls

Well...we'll just have to get Hankins or some one who want's to win and stay under the shadows of the Empire State building and thrive...any good men ready for the task? ...USCe? That I don't get?

USCe has great recruiters. People love making this about Flood. To a large degree, it is not. We need to hire recruiters, which don't cost that much in the grand scheme of things. That is what really needs to happen to shift the tides.

I would say that is a very fair assessment. We have to become a Top 25 ranked team again.

USCe has great recruiters. People love making this about Flood. To a large degree, it is not. We need to hire recruiters, which don't cost that much in the grand scheme of things. That is what really needs to happen to shift the tides.
Magnus CLEAN'S UP in esp S.Jersey...we need Hafley...I COMPLETELY agree with this "recruiter's" comment...you "GET IT" Ole Cabbagehead...even GS only had success knowing this fact!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT