ADVERTISEMENT

#9 Rutgers Women's Soccer Hosts Princeton (Thursday), Travels to #24 Georgetown (Sunday)

Feels like men’s bball last year at OSU when Myles Johnson fouled out. Rutgers could do no wrong, ranked #11 and up 16 points on the road with 8 mins to go at OSU and then all of a sudden the team instantly flipped a switch and forgot how to play the sport. Hopefully this team bounces back sooner than bball did

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
At least it wasn't a B1G game. Princeton is no slouch, but we shouldn't have lost tonight. Better wake up fast and redeem ourselves vs Georgetown on Sunday.
Hopefully this was a team filled with young talent reading the headlines and not being able to handle a 3-1 lead against a good team. Hopefully this is a learning lesson.

Hard to imagine being up 3-1 with 37 mins to go and somehow losing 4-3, almost unthinkable but mostly due to horrible officiating. And yes hopefully a wake up call for the defense and McClelland

Reactions: Leonard23
Hard to imagine being up 3-1 with 37 mins to go and somehow losing 4-3, almost unthinkable but mostly due to horrible officiating. And yes hopefully a wake up call for the defense and McClelland
McClelland better step up. She shouldve been benched after the 4th goal. Only going 1-5 on SOG isn't going to cut it once the B1G season starts.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
The officiating had nothing to do with this loss. The two PKs for Princeton were legit fouls by RU in the box.

We lost this game because we were sloppy and lazy and got outhustled.

McClelland better step up. She shouldve been benched after the 4th goal. Only going 1-5 on SOG isn't going to cut it once the B1G season starts.
I don’t understand the criticism of McClelland here. The first goal was absolutely on her, just a terrible goal.

But the second and fourth goals were on PKs, and the third goal was just a gorgeous cross and finish by Princeton. The fault for that one lies with whoever was marking the goal scorer.

Reactions: ho26rus
I don’t understand the criticism of McClelland here. The first goal was absolutely on her, just a terrible goal.

But the second and fourth goals were on PKs, and the third goal was just a gorgeous cross and finish by Princeton. The fault for that one lies with whoever was marking the goal scorer.

So should have been 3-3

Some thoughts off the top of the head
As others have said, got outworked
Gave up two 2 goal leads
McClelland let their first goal go right through her hands on a soft header
The D lost its shape
Ali was awful
The ref was atrocious--didn't have a clue all game
Provenzano, Lynch & Tiernan played well.
Allison Lowrey should have come in before Kaylie Daigle
Overall didn't deserve to win it
Score 3 goals & you should win
As I've said before, goalie play is a weak link.
Need to get our D organized & wake up before Georgetown.

Agree on the goalie play she was not good last year
Also look where she was when the third goal went in she was two steps in the net if she stays on the line she stops that shot
Also agree on Ali we had a great chance with the ball at her feet towards the end and she tried to dribble through 2 girls and had 2 girls wide open
This is a different team this year the ball should keep moving not stay at her feet she’s not adjusting to the new talent

Some thoughts off the top of the head
As others have said, got outworked
Gave up two 2 goal leads
McClelland let their first goal go right through her hands on a soft header
The D lost its shape
Ali was awful
The ref was atrocious--didn't have a clue all game
Provenzano, Lynch & Tiernan played well.
Allison Lowrey should have come in before Kaylie Daigle
Overall didn't deserve to win it
Score 3 goals & you should win
As I've said before, goalie play is a weak link.
Need to get our D organized & wake up before Georgetown.
All of this (other than presumably the ref) is influenced by PDA since RU is essentially the PDA central division. My understanding is that Lowrey was never a favorite at PDA and didn’t start She was a dominant player in the Skyland Conference however. PDA often seems to struggle getting the best keepers. And the best keepers play on teams that are so good that they get few In game challenges. The biggest problem is that O’Niell wants to play club soccer tactics at the elite college level. Gimmick offenses only work when you have talent and speed that far exceeds the other team. That doesn’t happen in college very often. O’Neill was an upgrade over Crooks but. for RU to be elite they need to get someone like Joe Russo from TCNJ. That guy fields DIII teams that can beat RU.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
Agree on the goalie play she was not good last year
Also look where she was when the third goal went in she was two steps in the net if she stays on the line she stops that shot
Also agree on Ali we had a great chance with the ball at her feet towards the end and she tried to dribble through 2 girls and had 2 girls wide open
This is a different team this year the ball should keep moving not stay at her feet she’s not adjusting to the new talent
Some further thoughts--
Rich, know the play by Ali you are referring to. She often tries at the beginning of a game to find her mates but her pass attempts don't often click. She often then reverts back to her solo routine to no avail. Had some hope that she would adjust her game to the new talent, but her old style & habits are dying very hard. Besides she has always played soft. Would start Allison Lowrey instead.
Would start Emma Misal over Emily Mason at outside D. Mason is talented but is very offensive oriented & is all over the field & often out of position. Misal was extremely effective starting there all last year. Very solid.
Add Sara Brocious to those who played well. Very steady & effective.
Can't remember a Mike O'Neil team ever giving up 4 goals in a game, no less 3 in the 2nd half, & blowing a 2 goal lead.
Our forwards didn't seem to be coming back hard on D, leaving Princeton a lot of room in the middle of the field.
Everything needs to be cranked up & sharpened up against Georgetown.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUonBrain
Some further thoughts--
Rich, know the play by Ali you are referring to. She often tries at the beginning of a game to find her mates but her pass attempts don't often click. She often then reverts back to her solo routine to no avail. Had some hope that she would adjust her game to the new talent, but her old style & habits are dying very hard. Besides she has always played soft. Would start Allison Lowrey instead.
Would start Emma Misal over Emily Mason at outside D. Mason is talented but is very offensive oriented & is all over the field & often out of position. Misal was extremely effective starting there all last year. Very solid.
Add Sara Brocious to those who played well. Very steady & effective.
Can't remember a Mike O'Neil team ever giving up 4 goals in a game, no less 3 in the 2nd half, & blowing a 2 goal lead.
Our forwards didn't seem to be coming back hard on D, leaving Princeton a lot of room in the middle of the field.
Everything needs to be cranked up & sharpened up against Georgetown.
Unfortunately my schedule has been so crazy and I was away that I have not really been able to watch a full game including last night so your points are much better than mine since you have really been watching but I hope to be able to start watching more and getting to some games
One thing as I was watching it seemed and maybe this was some of what you and others were talking about but we seemed gassed in the last 20-30 minutes and I know some also said they wanted it more but the being gassed could also be a function of the girls not playing a full game and maybe there should have been some more substituting again didn't see the whole game

I think that's part of it, not used to having all that other talent around her.

But something also seemed "off" with her last night. I suspect she has some sort of injury.
She got banged up in the LaSalle game and was out for a while.. hasn't been the same since.

Can’t win them all … no one goes undefeated … but surprised to lose after leading 3-1 … hopefully it’s a wake up call … they’ll regroup.

The biggest problem is that O’Niell wants to play club soccer tactics at the elite college level. Gimmick offenses only work when you have talent and speed that far exceeds the other team. That doesn’t happen in college very often. O’Neill was an upgrade over Crooks but. for RU to be elite they need to get someone like Joe Russo from TCNJ. That guy fields DIII teams that can beat RU.
Alright let’s not get too excited here. O’Neill only has led RU to a top-10 ranking and winning games 4-0, 5-0, 6-0, 4-0, 5-0, 5-1 and now a loss in a game where the other team had 2 penalty kicks and a header off a corner. And we’re ready to replace him with a D III coach. Got it.

Yes, Georgetown 1 RU 0 at the half. RU blew at least 3 quality scoring opportunities. G scored on a header off a corner cross. Giana Romano doesn't belong in there, Kaylie Daigle as well. Daigle always holds on to the ball & dribbles when she has a pass to make & then the play is gone. Ali made a beautiful crossing pass to Brocius for what should have been a layup that she banged over a wide open net. At other times Ali goes solo & misses a good pass to be made.

Final--Georgetown 1 RU 0. Georgetown goalie won the game. In 1st half stopped Ali point blank & in the 2nd got fingers on a Tagliaferri shot to push it just wide & stopped another Ali hard shot. In addition excellent decision making on so many dangerous balls to just keep them away from us for scores. We outplayed them, especially in the 2nd half. Far more dangerous opportunities. Tiernan lost the ball numerous time trying her magic with the ball--better defenders. On to Drexel this Thursday.

Last edited:
Well … was like a participation trophy type weekend … still early in the year and team will regroup.

I think those first few games were fools gold on offense. Once we get to tougher competition, like Georgetown, we are back to typical O'Neil offense, where we can't score.
I hope I am wrong, but years of watching have me worried we will not be able to score on good teams.

I think those first few games were fools gold on offense. Once we get to tougher competition, like Georgetown, we are back to typical O'Neil offense, where we can't score.
I hope I am wrong, but years of watching have me worried we will not be able to score on good teams.
Not typical O'Neil offense at all. Very, very aggressive & attacking.

Yeah but Tiernan has to learn this isn’t high school and she has to keep the ball moving because you are not going to beat these girls most of the time

Yeah but Tiernan has to learn this isn’t high school and she has to keep the ball moving because you are not going to beat these girls most of the time
It wasn't just one defender, they also had 2 & 3 girls on her in our offensive third. She needs to move it quickly as someone should be open.

It wasn't just one defender, they also had 2 & 3 girls on her in our offensive third. She needs to move it quickly as someone should be open.
Yeah, now that Tiernan is on opposing teams' scouting sheets, she needs to adjust her game accordingly.

Good to hear. Use these past 2 as learning lessons for the remainder of the regular season and tourney play. Ton of talent out there.

Good to hear. Use these past 2 as learning lessons for the remainder of the regular season and tourney play. Ton of talent out there.
Yes there is a ton of talent out there. I seem to remember some guy counting his chickens before they were hatched, & certain that we would win all our non-conference games & come into Penn State undefeated. And I said that Princeton & Georgetown would have good clubs & that I tried never to get ahead of myself. Sorry Nuts, couldn't resist it, LOL. Lets root together for the W over Penn State. They just beat No 3 Virginia & earlier beat West Virginia among some other good clubs. Going to be tough. Of course, got to take care of Drexel first.

Last edited:
Yes there is a ton of talent out there. I seem to remember some guy counting his chickens before they were hatched, & certain that we would win all our non-conference games & come into Penn State undefeated & that that's what our coach thought also. And I said that Princeton & Georgetown would have good clubs & that I tried never to get ahead of myself. Sorry Nuts, couldn't resist it, LOL. Lets root together for the W over Penn State. They just beat No 3 Virginia & earlier beat West Virginia among some other good clubs. Going to be tough.
Actually I said we'd be undefeated GOING INTO G'Town and Penn State with that home slate to start the season. Didn't expect the massive brain fart in the 2nd half against Princeton but, as a fan, I'll always count my chickens before they hatch. Someone has to LOL!

Yes sir let's get that W!!!

Last edited:
Alright let’s not get too excited here. O’Neill only has led RU to a top-10 ranking and winning games 4-0, 5-0, 6-0, 4-0, 5-0, 5-1 and now a loss in a game where the other team had 2 penalty kicks and a header off a corner. And we’re ready to replace him with a D III coach. Got it.
Did you watch last season or the season before that? That DIII coach would beat Rutgers more often than not over the last decade

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT