ADVERTISEMENT

A Hockey Facility?

Rutgers1976

All Conference
Dec 30, 2005
Heard an interesting little tidbit yesterday. A few years ago, the powers that be in Union County closed the small but popular Oak Ridge golf course on the Clark-Edison border. Senator Lesniak had his hand in this, as a private concern took over the other two Union County courses (Galloping Hill and Ashbrook). Mostly now it is used for walking, biking, etc. on the old cart paths.

There has been talk about using part of it to build some athletic facilities for Union County College. Another building could very well be an ice arena, in theory to replace the aging Warinaco Park facility. From what I understand, they may want to involve Rutgers in the discussion about the arena. Could it be that they want to use this to add to the list of new athletic facilities for Rutgers? This site is perhaps 20 minutes or so via the back roads from the RAC. I know the hockey team is just a club sport at this point, but still...

Heard an interesting little tidbit yesterday. A few years ago, the powers that be in Union County closed the small but popular Oak Ridge golf course on the Clark-Edison border. Senator Lesniak had his hand in this, as a private concern took over the other two Union County courses (Galloping Hill and Ashbrook). Mostly now it is used for walking, biking, etc. on the old cart paths.

There has been talk about using part of it to build some athletic facilities for Union County College. Another building could very well be an ice arena, in theory to replace the aging Warinaco Park facility. From what I understand, they may want to involve Rutgers in the discussion about the arena. Could it be that they want to use this to add to the list of new athletic facilities for Rutgers? This site is perhaps 20 minutes or so via the back roads from the RAC. I know the hockey team is just a club sport at this point, but still...

While any new facilities for use by RU would, of course, be a positive development, because there is no varsity hockey team and absolutely no possibility of such a team on the horizon due to costs, absent a PSU-like ($80M) hockey initiation donation, I can't see RU spending a penny on this. Nor should they, in my view. Many of our current facilities are DIII level and are in urgent need of upgrades so spending in that direction needs to be the priority.

No off campus facilities & no new sports. We need to support the sports we have before even considering to add new ones. Wrestling, Basketball, LAX, Soccer, to name a few, all need tons more $ for schollies, coaches, recruiting, etc. & new facilities. Get that done & we can revisit this in 20 years.

It will be some time before it happens but not 20.

And unless it becomes a combo place like the Kohl Center that Wisky has it won't be that big either.

Last edited:
RU already has access to off campus facilities for hockey. Why would another be beneficial, even for the club?
I think or assume this difference would be more seating at whatever would be built in the OP's post.

And if and when it (something ON campus) does happen down the road it does not have to be as big as some think.

ADVERTISEMENT