ADVERTISEMENT

A huge THANK YOU from our Family to the Rutgers Community.

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
I've been planning to write this for a long, long time, but I wanted to really reach an endpoint before posting it. The period from December to February saw us reach two huge milestones to cap off the last 2-3 years: the sale of my parents' house for my mom's estate on Christmas Eve, and the end of required scans for Tyler at Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK).

To recap, in August and September of 2012, we got hit with a triple whammy of events: my company in VA chose to close their office and consolidate in Franklin, TN as of October 1st, my mom went into the hospital in early August, came out a week later under hospice care and passed away two weeks later. And a week before she passed, Tyler got sick, was misdiagnosed for a month, then in late September was found to have cancer. At that point we dropped everything, uprooted and came back to NJ so he could be treated at MSK.

Word had gotten around about my mom's passing, Tyler in the hospital, then our return to NJ. And I was utterly blown away by the response from the Rutgers Community. Rutgers friends, classmates, alumni and staff all reached out to me to provide support. We truly are Family here at Rutgers. The amount of support we received, from people loaning us furniture until we could bring ours up from VA, to help finding a job, to getting firewood to keep our house warm immediately after Sandy, to meals, help with logistics, so many things, ... it was unbelievable.

So this is a humongous THANK YOU to all of you. Words can't express how much your support has meant to us. For me, especially, it was truly meaningful to receive everyone's help and well wishes while trying to be the rock for my family. All of you helped keep me sane.

I was going to post this a while back after the Spring Game as I didn't want to take attention away from that, but shortly after that we had a scare with Tyler getting sick 3 days in a row, and having to come home from school on Mon. and Wed. of that week. Fortunately that turned out to be nothing, most likely related to the heat at the beginning of that week and the fact he rarely eats or drinks anything in the morning. I guess this is something we're gonna have to live with until he's an adult. Anyway, I've been sitting on this for a while and wanted to get it out there.

I wanted to share a couple of pictures

Here's Tyler and I about a month into his treatment, when he had dropped about 15% body mass:

DaddyAndTyler2012-10-18.jpg

And here we are in a photo from the end of March (yeah, I know, he's not smiling, but this gives a good idea of how much he has grown), almost two and a half years later:

TylerampDaddy2_zpsikxxppoz.jpg

He's up over 6.5 inches and 38 pounds between those two shots. And since that last shot, he's put on over an inch and a quarter - he's really in a growth spurt right now.

Always wondered what he looking like when I was praying for him thought he would be younger. But lord he has grown ... both of you have; him physically and both emotionally. My God shine more of his graces on you guys.

I wish I had the ability right now to say something profound but I'm at a loss for words (shhhh, and a little teary).

Suffice it to say I'm just so damn happy for Tyler and your entire family. I wish you nothing but happy times from here on.

I had no idea that Will Farrell posted on here!

Great to hear that your son is doing well.

Reactions: Rufaninga
DJ, thank you for sharing the update on your family. I've often though of Tyler, you and your family while dealing with my sons health issues a few years ago. I don't know if you recall, my son has a rare disease which caused 40-50 tumors in his brain and heart, and suffered dangerous seizures.

In response to one of your post about Tylers treatments, I mentioned my son was in hospital, and you had sent me an uplifting note while I was in the hospital with Will gettting ready for the first of his 5 brain surgeries. Today, Will is 5 years old, the middle of 5 children, and starting kindergarten in a few weeks. He's begun medical marijuana oil 3 months ago, and has had significant decrease in seizures, with a strong increase in learning and speaking abilities.

Tylers a tough kid, and so is your familiy. Stay strong.

Tyler looks great! You--not so much, LOL (just kidding). I had the pleasure of meeting you briefly during the TTFP tailgate when my family was traumatized by the events of the blue lot and they begged me to bail. Tyler looked great and happy at that tailgate. You were one of a few folks who reached out to me when I had to make my visits to MSKCC last year, and I appreciate the support the folks here gave. Rutgers is a big University with a lot of alumni, but I have always found smaller communities of wonderful people here at Scarlet Nation, the folks who sit near us in Section 107, the former Ceramic and Materials Engineering Department, and the fine folks at Rutgers University Emergency Services (or whatever is called today).

Life throws stuff at you once in a while. You duck and keep running, and things turn out all right. Move forward.

Will Farrell!!
498d6a187858b674dd84794216f80838.jpg

Glad everything is looking up and I'll continue to hope and pray it will continue to do so for Tyler and for you and the reat of your family.

Been following Tyler's plight every time you post. Can't imagine as a parent what its like to go through something like this - so thankful he is ok, and here's to many, many more years of health.

God bless Tyler and your entire family!

Prayers are, indeed, answered...and some help from folks within this terrific Rutgers family of "R"'s sure doesn't hurt either. :-)

Cancer is a horrible disease that effects a lot of people. I am so glad Tyler is beating it. Good for him and your family.

I think I saw an article in the Rutgers magazine about you and Tyler a while back. I wasn't involved with anything to help, but that is a heart warming post of gratitude that makes me teary.

Spanky - awesome post and more importantly awesome info on Tyler. You guys look great! While our issues have been relatively minor, in comparison, this board was very helpful and understanding a few times while our son was growing up (he turns 21 in 2 weeks, yikes!), including after our home invasion when he was 13 and home alone, sick (all worked out ok, but scary), the occasional advice on his ongoing respiratory problems (he apparently has largely outgrown them, as his doctors said he might, after puberty), and some intel/guidance on transferring to RU from the New School (he's living in a classic NB house off-campus a block from Douglass and he's enrolled and already took two classes in the History dept. and aced them). Despite the occasional tiffs and squabbles, like any "family" has, this really is a great community to be part of.

DJ, thank you for sharing the update on your family. I've often though of Tyler, you and your family while dealing with my sons health issues a few years ago. I don't know if you recall, my son has a rare disease which caused 40-50 tumors in his brain and heart, and suffered dangerous seizures.

In response to one of your post about Tylers treatments, I mentioned my son was in hospital, and you had sent me an uplifting note while I was in the hospital with Will gettting ready for the first of his 5 brain surgeries. Today, Will is 5 years old, the middle of 5 children, and starting kindergarten in a few weeks. He's begun medical marijuana oil 3 months ago, and has had significant decrease in seizures, with a strong increase in learning and speaking abilities.

Tylers a tough kid, and so is your familiy. Stay strong.

Holy crap you and DJ have had a lot to deal with - tough to read this. Good luck to you guys.

Thanks for sharing this with us. You are a class act, and I wish for continued good news for your entire family.

You and your family are as tough as nails. Thank God for all your blessings in both the hard and happy times.

Mike I am so happy your son's doing well - and starting school is definitely a big step. Hopefully he keeps continuing to improve and life becomes as normal for him as it has for Tyler.

And for those who commented, I didn't realize that Will Farrell was such a handsome, suave, debonair gentleman of the highest sensibilities.

Hope to see everyone once again in the Blue Lot this season!

Hope to see everyone once again in the Blue Lot this season!

Oh... damn... what a shame, we've moved to the... um... the Grey lot. Yeah, that's it.

I'm glad Tyler is doing well, but also I'm really glad he seems to favor his mom. Kid caught a break.

Beautiful post, Spanky.

So happy to hear Tyler is healthy and very glad that the scare you had post-Spring game was a false alarm. I will make a better effort to get around to your seats and say hi this season.

You and the boys have a perpetual invitation to stop by our (@RU848789 and crew) tailgate in Yellow. If you give me some notice, I'll be sure to have a bottle of Macallan 18 or Balvenie 21 on hand to toast Tyler's continued good health.

The boys are restricted to one glass each. [winking]

You and the boys have a perpetual invitation to stop by our (@RU848789 and crew) tailgate in Yellow. If you give me some notice, I'll be sure to have a bottle of Macallan 18 or Balvenie 21 on hand to toast Tyler's continued good health.

The boys are restricted to one glass each. [winking]

If at all possible, I'd like to see you give up any distilled spirits which are owned by the DISCUS companies (Suntory, Diageo, etc.).

por qué?

Well, they spend a fair amount of resources imposing their will on the industry. They like to "modernize production processes" for the distilleries they own, which invariably leads to an impact on quality. They also throw their weight around in an attempt to stifle the craft distillers, which they perceive as a threat to market share.

Well, they spend a fair amount of resources imposing their will on the industry. They like to "modernize production processes" for the distilleries they own, which invariably leads to an impact on quality. They also throw their weight around in an attempt to stifle the craft distillers, which they perceive as a threat to market share.

What are your recommended brands?

In order to properly toast the OP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT