ADVERTISEMENT

American Pharoah 1-5 favorite for tomorrow's Haskell Invitational

Onion beat Secretariat. AP should be a lock but if anyone is going to make like Onion, I think it could be Competitive Edge. A million to show on AP will cover your expenses for the day.

Onion beat Secretariat. AP should be a lock but if anyone is going to make like Onion, I think it could be Competitive Edge. A million to show on AP will cover your expenses for the day.
The most famous upset in horse racing was a horse called Upset who handed Man O War his only defeat. Although the use of the term upset in sports was used before Upset the horse definitely popularized the phrase.
The credit for the use of the term upset in sports is given to a N.Y. Times writer back in 1877 when ironically he was writing about possible upsets that day at Monmouth Park.

And Upset wasn't named for the sports phrase but for a piece of the bridle bit used back in the day

got a late offer for clubhouse seating, so going with a friend tomorrow ....the only other famous horse I ever saw in person was "Ruffian" at Mommouth, before the famous match race that led to her death.....

as far as Pharoah, I am sure that when at the track I will start thinking about betting another horse because of the crazy short odds on the fav...

talk about throwing a few bucks away but I probably will

got a late offer for clubhouse seating, so going with a friend tomorrow ....the only other famous horse I ever saw in person was "Ruffian" at Mommouth, before the famous match race that led to her death.....

as far as Pharoah, I am sure that when at the track I will start thinking about betting another horse because of the crazy short odds on the fav...

When I was a teen I use to help out my Dad who delivered baked goods to his accounts which included Momnmouth Park. We usually would get to the track at dawn when the horses were being groomed and walked prior to their morning workouts. We delivered to the cafeteria in the stable area as well so that brought us in among the horses and jockeys. This was in the pre- Haskell era but I still got to see many great horses and jockeys of the time. Not being an expert in horseflesh, the $5,000 claimers looked just as beautiful to me as the stakes runners, especially without their names inscribed on their saddlecloths. I think the best horse I ever saw at Monmouth was the great Kelso.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
An anomaly to that is an awful lot of those Belmont tickets, and Haskell tickets never get cashed.
They, and the program, find themselves in memory albums. but the demand to have them will force the odds to 1-9.. to a gambler 1-5 is 20percent on your money and generous

A prior poster was accurate about the weak field but Monmouth has a history of great horses losing there. Not everyone likes the soil composition

An anomaly to that is an awful lot of those Belmont tickets, and Haskell tickets never get cashed.
They, and the program, find themselves in memory albums. but the demand to have them will force the odds to 1-9.. to a gambler 1-5 is 20percent on your money and generous

A prior poster was accurate about the weak field but Monmouth has a history of great horses losing there. Not everyone likes the soil composition

True...souvenir winning ticket on the horse will be worth more in memories than it would be to cash.

Look for a lot of trifecta and/or supers (haven't seen if they will even have that with smaller field) to be maybe only place to earn a few $$$.

---------------

I just watched the replay of that race.....people try to explain the loss two ways....some argue secretariat was getting squeezed on the rail late in the race....of course, if he was a super horse that day he would have gone fully ahead, but they ran side be side for a distance.

there are conflicting reports as to secretariats health.....I suspect the reports of a low grade fever and diarrhea were accurate....the owners were under significant pressure not to scratch....much like scratching Pharoah for any reason would be tough tomorrow,

Bill Nack was working on a biography on secretariat, and wrote about what he saw pre race:

"I walked over with that horse from the barn to the paddock for the Whitney," said Bill Nack, Secretariat’s biographer. Groom Eddie Sweat and exercise rider Charlie Davis were attending to the big horse.

"In the 10, maybe 15 minutes it took to take that walk, Charlie must have wiped Secretariat’s ass at least nine or ten times," Nack said. "Diarrhea was running down his back legs. I asked Eddie, ‘Is he sick? Did he eat something?’ Eddie said, ‘Naw, he’s just nervous.’ ‘Nervous?’ I said. ‘What the hell’s he got to be nervous about?’ "

In fact, Secretariat had been talking to his people. Prior to the Whitney he worked too fast, then too slow. Jockey Ron Turcotte voiced his concerns to trainer Lucien Laurin, but the show went on. There was great pressure to run, coming not only from track management but also a TV network tied to a four-race series in New York, with Secretariat as the star, and from the thousands of fans who were making a pilgrimage to Saratoga just to see the colt in the flesh.

"I was learning then that anything could happen in horse racing," said Penny Chenery, Secretariat’s owner. "We knew he had a low-grade infection. But we decided he was strong enough to win anyway, and we were wrong.

so, big red reportedly had a low grade infection and diarrhea....not pretty to think about, but easily could have made the difference, that day

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple-Ed
---------------

I just watched the replay of that race.....people try to explain the loss two ways....some argue secretariat was getting squeezed on the rail late in the race....of course, if he was a super horse that day he would have gone fully ahead, but they ran side be side for a distance.

there are conflicting reports as to secretariats health.....I suspect the reports of a low grade fever and diarrhea were accurate....the owners were under significant pressure not to scratch....much like scratching Pharoah for any reason would be tough tomorrow,

Bill Nack was working on a biography on secretariat, and wrote about what he was pre race:

"I walked over with that horse from the barn to the paddock for the Whitney," said Bill Nack, Secretariat’s biographer. Groom Eddie Sweat and exercise rider Charlie Davis were attending to the big horse.

"In the 10, maybe 15 minutes it took to take that walk, Charlie must have wiped Secretariat’s ass at least nine or ten times," Nack said. "Diarrhea was running down his back legs. I asked Eddie, ‘Is he sick? Did he eat something?’ Eddie said, ‘Naw, he’s just nervous.’ ‘Nervous?’ I said. ‘What the hell’s he got to be nervous about?’ "

In fact, Secretariat had been talking to his people. Prior to the Whitney he worked too fast, then too slow. Jockey Ron Turcotte voiced his concerns to trainer Lucien Laurin, but the show went on. There was great pressure to run, coming not only from track management but also a TV network tied to a four-race series in New York, with Secretariat as the star, and from the thousands of fans who were making a pilgrimage to Saratoga just to see the colt in the flesh.

"I was learning then that anything could happen in horse racing," said Penny Chenery, Secretariat’s owner. "We knew he had a low-grade infection. But we decided he was strong enough to win anyway, and we were wrong.

so, big red reportedly had a low grade infection and diarrhea....not pretty to think about, but easily could have made the difference, that day
Must have been the same ailment that got to Joe Paterno

It's overhyped with that horse being there and the odds are not appetizing.
I guess it's a good day to drink some brews, eat some dogs and rep your Block R hat in front of 50 thousand others.
You know the Pen St fans will be repping.

Will show betting be allowed? Track will take a hit if it is

Was at the track today early to see AP workout @ 730 cause wife wanted to say she saw him and not fight the crowds tomorrow, beautiful horse and even just galloping makes it look easy, then went and ate breakfast before going back for today's races. Had a Club Box next to a family with the adjacent box for the season from Red Bank that runs their horse there that said they aren't going tomorrow as they don't want to fight the crowd either. They got to see him Friday in the stables after his workout.
Just for the hellof it made a $2 exacta bet with AP and NY horse Upstart. Definitely not going to make any money betting AP and as said above will be more for the memory value and the fact it will be trainer Bob Baffert's 8th win in 13 attempts in the Haskell.

If you plan on coming pack your patience and extra money. Parking $20.
Saw several RVS in the parking lot where people stayed over last night. This could turn into a ship show.

They expect a huge crowd, I happy for Monmouth Park that they are going to have nice weather. For all those going, enjoy.

The line to get in is adout 5/6 wide and stretches all the way to Port a Pec Ave. For those that said a Triple Crown winner wouldn't do much for horse racing, drive down to Oceanport and have a giant helping of crow.

Shame what happened when the Breeders Cup came to Oceanport a few years ago. Absolute monsoon for two days. Doubt it will ever return there. Glad there will be nice weather today.

Wheezer - I too was at Monmouth the day Ruffian raced there. What a great racehorse and a tragic end.

OT but I was there the day after the "Son of Sam" was captured in NY. He was also known as the "44 caliber killer". A friend who knew nothing about racing decided to play the 4-4 Daily Double since it was all anyone was talking about. Paid something like $90.

I've seen tougher workouts. What an easy, spectacular win. Hope he runs in the Travers. Texas Red looked liked he's back in shape. Could be a competitive race, unlike the Haskell.

I was surprised that the show pool was as small as it was.

I was there. Crowd was announced at 60K (a record).

Saw Chris Christie takling to Richie Sambora in the paddock.

I got there at about 430. Walked right in. Just wanted to be there for the big race.

Camera shots from TV looked like the place was packed like sardines.

American_Pharoah_Kentucky_Derby_2015_615x400_1_orig.jpg

101.5 said the crowd was more like 35-40K

Last edited:
LOL ! My bad. I goggle search pics from the Haskell. I'm going to sue !! lol

just back from a long day at the track, a few observations;

I cannot believe how well the everything seemed to go for the amount of people who showed up......I got there about 10:30am, one hour before
the first race, and at that time very little traffic....some of the police attempted to guide people to route 36, but that would have been a mistake and there traffic did back up, so we entered from a different road, with no back up

.I was lucky enough to have clubhouse seats, and at no time did it ever seem like there was a huge crowd, or any crowding there.....the deepest line of people waiting for tickets on that 3rd floor was maybe three people ahead of you, even for the big race, and three ahead of you is stretching it....

it kinda makes the radio station saying 35-40 thousand seem more accurate than the announced attendance, but I don't think they would announce a false number

I was also lucky enough to have valet parking, and they had more than enough staff to park the cars quickly and also get them back to you after the race....very well run and organized.

I know it was a lot more crowded on the main floor, I went down to that level a couple of times for drinks, and it seemed ok there also.

which leads to my only complaint, in that it seems they don't have concessions for drinks or anything on the 2nd or 3rd level....I think liquor sales would have been much more for the track if available everywhere, because it becomes a pain to go down levels, some might just say the heck with it....

as to our gov. Christie....suffice to say that if he ever gets the nomination to run for president, he will not carry NJ....end of story...

lastly, the crowd treated Pharoah like a rock star, before the race, during and after.....as much as I would have like to cash an upset longshot ticket, it would have been a shame if Pharoah lost, the crowd so much wanted to witness another Pharoah win.

it looked like there would be a close race to the wire, then Pharoah just exploded and won easily.

the bet to win total on Pharoah went over the million mark, which was a problem because the scoreboards did not have 7 digit spots, so they had
to leave the bet to win total blank.........

I skimmed thread but I have to ask why is this horse still running? What good came out of this race? Horses should have already been making ponies by now.

they could have just counted tix sold, I am sure some people bought the for commerative purposes and many bought intending to resale and that didn't go over too well as the market wasn't strong for that

I skimmed thread but I have to ask why is this horse still running? What good came out of this race? Horses should have already been making ponies by now.

A huge crowd and handle at Monmouth Park, probably decent ratings on TV, positive publicity for horse racing at a time of year when people usually don't pay attention to it, and a little change in the bank for AP's owners. Maybe it's not that much for AP's owners, but they also are people who've said they want to give back to racing.

Never been to Monmouth Park? When I walk in this place it is like Fenway Park or Wrigley Field. A classic race racetrack and the Haskell is always #4 after the Triple. APs owner said we brought him home to the great state of New Jersey. Well done and thanks.

We had a terrific time at Monmouth Park today. Horse racing in NJ got a boost in the arm today. After I netted all my bets, cost of beverages and food I actually walked away with $18 extra dollars in my pocket. Heck this was a good day!!

We had seats at the 1/16 pole and got a very good look at American Pharoah crossing the finish line, we also saw him in the paddock. This is one special horse! We owe a special thank you to Bob Baffert and Zayat Family for bringing their colt to NJ. The only blemish was Chris Christie. When the Govenor was introduced fans instantaneously began booing, not once but twice!! The boos were loud and sustained almost ruining a beautiful moment for Horse Racing in NJ.

You do realize that a pony is not the correct term right?

Never been to Monmouth Park? When I walk in this place it is like Fenway Park or Wrigley Field. A classic race racetrack and the Haskell is always #4 after the Triple. APs owner said we brought him home to the great state of New Jersey. Well done and thanks.
--------
I live minutes away from the meadowlands, but I much prefer to go to Monmouth if I could, for just that reason

ADVERTISEMENT