ADVERTISEMENT

Amtrak train derailment in Philadelphia

This is so off I don't know where to begin so let's start with the bolded. Are you implying that diversity requires more policing?

There is actually a lot of diversity in Europe....London is as diverse as NYC and Berlin and Paris, among others, are not far behind.

In Germany, college is free, because the government knows having an educated work force will stave off recession. We don't even have to completely copy that. We can just try to fund higher ed a little.

Europe has less crime because it's more educated, does not treat drug crimes as harshly as we do, they don't allow the mentally unstable or criminal to be armed to the teeth, and they use prison to reform rather than provide a taxpayer sponsored gang incubator.

And your last point is absurd, considering our Republican governor is under SEC investigation for using rail funds to fix the Pulaski Skyway, who allowed the PA to take more toll and PATH money and sqaunder it on One World Trade and employee salaries among other things...not to mention that his employees used the funds to stop traffic for 4 days.

You just want to rant about "liberals" to either distract from Republican obstruction or not address actual problems,

You can argue the nuance endlessly, I suspect, but there's an inescapable truth that you can't argue - taxes in industrialized Europe are much higher than they are here. They also have the advantage of not having nearly 50% of the tax base not paying at all and they absolutely don't have a significant portion of the tax base essentially making a profit on the tax code. Everybody pays and the wealthiest taxpayers pay through the nose.

Would that ever work here? I've often wondered, push come to shove, which of these two things would generate the most hysteria: a top tax bracket at 50% or telling a third of the electorate that things like EITC are no more.

Anyone who reads me on any consistent basis knows where I stand on this: I think there should be a higher bracket for incomes over, say, $1M and I think we should eliminate all of the subsidies in the tax code so that everybody pays. Everybody. You're poor? Pay a dollar. Have some skin in the game.

I never said it was a r vs d thing....yes, both parties piss away money...we agree

I was simply pointing out that at the end of the day the stimulus was a failure

Listen ... Dear Leader has already laughed off this whole shovel-ready business back in 2011. Ridiculous for anyone to bring it up again as it has been written out of the history books. Totally unfair; case closed; end of discussion.

http://nation.foxnews.com/president-obama/2011/06/13/obama-jokes-jobs-council-shovel-ready-was-not-shovel-ready-we-expected

This is so off I don't know where to begin so let's start with the bolded. Are you implying that diversity requires more policing?

There is actually a lot of diversity in Europe....London is as diverse as NYC and Berlin and Paris, among others, are not far behind.

In Germany, college is free, because the government knows having an educated work force will stave off recession. We don't even have to completely copy that. We can just try to fund higher ed a little.

Europe has less crime because it's more educated, does not treat drug crimes as harshly as we do, they don't allow the mentally unstable or criminal to be armed to the teeth, and they use prison to reform rather than provide a taxpayer sponsored gang incubator.

And your last point is absurd, considering our Republican governor is under SEC investigation for using rail funds to fix the Pulaski Skyway, who allowed the PA to take more toll and PATH money and sqaunder it on One World Trade and employee salaries among other things...not to mention that his employees used the funds to stop traffic for 4 days.

You just want to rant about "liberals" to either distract from Republican obstruction or not address actual problems,

YES. I can list specific schools. In Philly, South Philly HS, Germantown(before it closed) and Lincoln all had a dozen full-time school cops. Those schools had ZERO school cops before diversity. Philly is up to 650 full time school cops at a cost of $65 million compared to ZERO school cops in the 50s. That is the liberals idea of progress.

London has diversity just like the USA had diversity in the 50s. We had blacks and whites living in black and white neighborhoods.

In Germany the people care about hard work and education. Germans don't want to work at McDonalds when they don't make the NBA. You have to first graduate high school before you go to college and half the inner city kids can't even read. Free college won't fix their problems. Like a typical liberal y ou ignore the real problem.

You can argue the nuance endlessly, I suspect, but there's an inescapable truth that you can't argue - taxes in industrialized Europe are much higher than they are here. They also have the advantage of not having nearly 50% of the tax base not paying at all and they absolutely don't have a significant portion of the tax base essentially making a profit on the tax code. Everybody pays and the wealthiest taxpayers pay through the nose.

Would that ever work here? I've often wondered, push come to shove, which of these two things would generate the most hysteria: a top tax bracket at 50% or telling a third of the electorate that things like EITC are no more.

Anyone who reads me on any consistent basis knows where I stand on this: I think there should be a higher bracket for incomes over, say, $1M and I think we should eliminate all of the subsidies in the tax code so that everybody pays. Everybody. You're poor? Pay a dollar. Have some skin in the game.

Yes, they are higher, but I also think they have less waste. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another Western Country where the congressional equivalent demands the military take weapons it says are useless.

I also think more public employees in Europe have real jobs and responsibilities, and that their pay isn't as high as it is in NJ and some other states, even in high cost of living cities like London and Paris.

The European safety net is tangible for their middle class because it provides healthcare and college costs, while the American one does not, and that is why there is more backlash about it, because it's supposed to be for "them" while in Europe it benefits everyone directly.

YES. I can list specific schools. In Philly, South Philly HS, Germantown(before it closed) and Lincoln all had a dozen full-time school cops. Those schools had ZERO school cops before diversity. Philly is up to 650 full time school cops at a cost of $65 million compared to ZERO school cops in the 50s. That is the liberals idea of progress.

London has diversity just like the USA had diversity in the 50s. We had blacks and whites living in black and white neighborhoods.

In Germany the people care about hard work and education. Germans don't want to work at McDonalds when they don't make the NBA. You have to first graduate high school before you go to college and half the inner city kids can't even read. Free college won't fix their problems. Like a typical liberal y ou ignore the real problem.

Um that's just wholly false. There is Brixton which is mostly black but blacks and whites and other races live side by side all over London and lots of other European cities.

I went to a predominately white, upper middle class high school that had a cop.

Please show me one survey that indicates that inner city residents want to work at McDonalds or that half cannot read.

Just found out my co-worker's wife was on the train, in the 3rd car. She got out of it with cuts and "wicked" bruises - he was driving home on 80 at the time she called him (they live in NYC), so he headed down the NJT and picked her up. I told him he should get her checked out by her doctor up here, as those bruised areas could have deep trauma under them.

Well, Thursday she really started hurting, so they ended up in urgent care. The folks there thought she had blood clots due to the bruising - they ended up doing scans and eventually figured out that she had fractured ribs and had broken a bone at the top of her left scapula (forget the name he said) that a lot of things attach to. She's due to get an MRI tomorrow I believe.

Well, Thursday she really started hurting, so they ended up in urgent care. The folks there thought she had blood clots due to the bruising - they ended up doing scans and eventually figured out that she had fractured ribs and had broken a bone at the top of her left scapula (forget the name he said) that a lot of things attach to. She's due to get an MRI tomorrow I believe.

Clavicle? Acromion? These are extremely painful injuries of which you speak. Particularly the cracked ribs. Did she initially go to the ER after the train crash? Or did she just get checked out by EMTs or paramedics?

Clavicle? Acromion? These are extremely painful injuries of which you speak. Particularly the cracked ribs. Did she initially go to the ER after the train crash? Or did she just get checked out by EMTs or paramedics?

Wasn't the clavicle, I know that - I'll ask him this morning. She was definitely taken to an ER, 'cause she had to call him to tell him what hospital she'd been taken to.

In addition to PTC (which unknown to me, was not in place on that particular stretch of track) and other technological advances being implemented, perhaps we should also see a return to 1970's technology and re-fit "Ghetto Grills" to locomotives:

4564.1198155600.jpg

9271735173_b639dc6112_b.jpg

img_20354.jpg

I am like Peetey Green. I speak the truth. The stimulus money was supposed to go to shovel ready jobs. Where are the jobs and where is the infrastructure?

Where is the $800 BILLION?

Do you think bridge/road tolls should go to BRIDGES/roads or do you think the tolls should pay for sports stadiums for billionaires?
http://www.recovery.gov/arra/Transparency/fundingoverview/Pages/fundingbreakdown.aspx

See attached link

A lot of the transportation infrastucture funds went to highways but given to the states to spend since the federal government couldn't prioritize the projects and states would know better.

Senate Environment and Public Works Chairman Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) said Tuesday that his own party is one of the main problems when it comes to finding a path forward on long-term, increased funding for the nation’s roads, bridges and transit systems.

Senate Environment and Public Works Chairman Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) said Tuesday that his own party is one of the main problems when it comes to finding a path forward on long-term, increased funding for the nation’s roads, bridges and transit systems.

The other problem is the dems but DEms won't address the issue. Corzine and Rendell both diverted bridge/road tolls to pork projects like sports stadiums for their campaign contributors.

Can you explain why the DRPA in Camden/Philly grosses billions and they have trouble coming up with money to paint the bridges? THey have spent so much money on pork projects they are now spending hundreds of millions just on debt. That is on the DEms.

Yes, they are higher, but I also think they have less waste. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another Western Country where the congressional equivalent demands the military take weapons it says are useless.

I also think more public employees in Europe have real jobs and responsibilities, and that their pay isn't as high as it is in NJ and some other states, even in high cost of living cities like London and Paris.

The European safety net is tangible for their middle class because it provides healthcare and college costs, while the American one does not, and that is why there is more backlash about it, because it's supposed to be for "them" while in Europe it benefits everyone directly.

Europe also gets much better production from their unions. Their rails and roads cost less! THey also spend less on education. They don't need a dozen fulltime cops in ONE school like violent inner city schools. .

This is not Dem or Rep it is criminal any one dives a train at double the speed limit the engineer should be in JAIL. And charged with homicide! deal with they facts not the political emotions of your parties' affiliations.

This is not Dem or Rep it is criminal any one dives a train at double the speed limit the engineer should be in JAIL. And charged with homicide! deal with they facts not the political emotions of your parties' affiliations.

What are the facts behind why the train was traveling at 106 mph?

I read the union is suggesting an extra engineer on each train just in case the first one falls asleep or wants to commit suicide. I think there should be a policeman in each McDonalds so that the gang or kids don't fight and even better a policeman in every building especially theaters in case a suicide bomber or crazy wants to shoot up the place.

Wasn't the clavicle, I know that - I'll ask him this morning. She was definitely taken to an ER, 'cause she had to call him to tell him what hospital she'd been taken to.

Then they did a piss poor job of evaluating her condition, if she had multiple fractures.

I read the union is suggesting an extra engineer on each train just in case the first one falls asleep or wants to commit suicide. I think there should be a policeman in each McDonalds so that the gang or kids don't fight and even better a policeman in every building especially theaters in case a suicide bomber or crazy wants to shoot up the place.
I'd prefer a longer-term solution employing technology to limit trains to speeds determined to be safe based on location.

I'd prefer a longer-term solution employing technology to limit trains to speeds determined to be safe based on location.

^^^This. Planes already fly themselves (3 dimensional space). We're about to enter an era where cars & trucks are autonomous (2 dimensional space). However, it will take 2 humans to drive each train (1 dimensional space)? Bullshit.

What are the facts behind why the train was traveling at 106 mph?
His superiors told him to make up time or he was just speeding on his own. Either way jail him and let the courts decided And there was always a engineer and an assistant in case the engineer drops dead or like some said want to commit suicide

His superiors told him to make up time or he was just speeding on his own. Either way jail him and let the courts decided And there was always a engineer and an assistant in case the engineer drops dead or like some said want to commit suicide

Which is it? And how did you come by these "facts"?

You don't understand what I'm saying, here, do you?

And where is your evidence to support this assumption as fact?

Are you sure you didn't watch this genius piece of investigative "reporting" prior to posting:
CBS Claims NJT breaks speed limits

It is called vehicular homicide Let Amtrak prove it was not that is what a court of law is for

ADVERTISEMENT