ADVERTISEMENT

And there is John Rowe in today's Record

wheezer

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2001
a passing comment that Syracuse got three top NJ BB players , where RU and SHU got none.....to describe where our two programs stand right now.......no further comment from him

Who is John Rowe??? Can he identify players if they walked past him at the local mall....?? Does he attend local camps/AAU events, Summer league games, SHU or RU practices or is he limited to a press-pass for RU media days in football and hoops??

Syracuse is a once great program on a slow decline. They play in the best conference for hoops but in time will fill the Garden on occassion as always. Will Cuse hold the same prestige going forward?? Perhaps they do, but they can kiss being relevant good bye in football and eventually, once Boeheim retires, they enter a cross roads in their national stature.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
If Syracuse keeps getting the kids they're getting they'll stay relevant IMO.

They're in the country's best hoop league on National TV weekly and they play in front of 30,000 people .

I'm singing no sad songs for them.

They haven't missed a beat. Academics. Tawdry stuff with an assistant's wife. Bad behavior. Players love it ... anything goes. Syracuse is big-time hoops. No denying.

If Syracuse keeps getting the kids they're getting they'll stay relevant IMO.

They're in the country's best hoop league on National TV weekly and they play in front of 30,000 people .

I'm singing no sad songs for them.
It will be interesting to see what happens when Boeheim retires. They still have a lot of assets, but can they maintain them? UConn has hung in there for now, but I don't know much longer they can sustain it in that league. Cuse doesn't have to worry about that, but is Boeheim the only reason the recruits come? We'll find out eventually.

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
Players love playing in front of 25,000 people. Until their attendance dwindles significantly, Cuse will continue to get top-flight players from NJ and everywhere else in the country.

Saw where UConn just got one of the countrys highest rated Guards .

Kevin Ollie is a good coach----played in the NBA and has won a National Championship-----they have nice facilities------he can sell the place.

Saw where UConn just got one of the countrys highest rated Guards .

Kevin Ollie is a good coach----played in the NBA and has won a National Championship-----they have nice facilities------he can sell the place.
I just think it will be tougher for them than Cuse in that league.

Who is John Rowe??? Can he identify players if they walked past him at the local mall....?? Does he attend local camps/AAU events, Summer league games, SHU or RU practices or is he limited to a press-pass for RU media days in football and hoops??

Syracuse is a once great program on a slow decline. They play in the best conference for hoops but in time will fill the Garden on occassion as always. Will Cuse hold the same prestige going forward?? Perhaps they do, but they can kiss being relevant good bye in football and eventually, once Boeheim retires, they enter a cross roads in their national stature.
--------------------

random thoughts

when I think of John Rowe I flash back to a round table tv show of sportscasters that he was a participant....when it came to a college football discussion he admitted he did not know much about it and had little interest.....unusual for someone to start off with that considering he was probably getting paid for his input on the subject, when it became time for him to speak.

I think his thoughts on RU football were overall more negative than positive....He would make predictions for our football scores and would rarely pick RU as an underdog, and almost never as a on the road underdog.....I do think he has made an effort on learning about college football over the years and his picks now seem to be thought out.........he has picked us to win a game where we wound up losing, but he picks us to lose games that we win more often than that

even though in basketball, UConn has a nice home court and gets some top notch players, I think that their program will begin to fade......not talking about right now, but over the course of the next decade or two.....not being in one of the power conferences will slowly make their program less attractive.....as it stands now they can get by with their recent history being a draw.....but they really have to get out of the aac....not an easy task....yes I know that the aac has some pretty decent teams, some that have made their mark in bb.....but again, I am talking about a drawn out slow decline in the product over the next 10 to 20 years.

I can see a similar trend in the big east also.....the major fb/bb conferences will dominate the picks for the NCAA tourney, the big east and aac relegated to just a few

Personally I don't see that happening-----we'll see in 10-20 years.
Think you're wrong. Little by little the P5 schools will take control of how the NCAA tourney is run and turn it into the type of tourney that favored P5 schools like the FB major bowl games do.

If the NCAA objects , look for the P-5 conferences come up with their own post season games ( inviting some mid majors)and the NCAA tourney might go the way the NIT did.
Syracuse being in the ACC will be in a better position to be invited to the P-5 supported tourney .
UConn if it dominates the AAC, will be invited because of it being a traditional MBB power.
Same with some of the NBE .the traditional powers will secure an invite ( with a great record), others must settle for the lesser NCAA tourney if thay have a good, not great, record.

Too many good basketball schools who are in Non Power 5 leagues IMO for that to happen.

That's a completely different dynamic than football in which for the most part the best programs are all in the Power 5 conferences.

Too many good basketball schools who are in Non Power 5 leagues IMO for that to happen.

That's a completely different dynamic than football in which for the most part the best programs are all in the Power 5 conferences.

You're probably right, but should keep this in mind:
Never underestimate the power of greed and what the P-5 will do to gain control of College Basketball, kike they are trying to control NCAA Football's future.

The Power 5 don't control the NCAA Tournament any more than they control the College Football.

The Networks do------and the Networks love the NCAA Tournament as it's currently constructed.

Ratings from the Selection Sunday Show to the Final have never been better.

What you're proposing is the Tournament eliminate all the lower level conference automatic bids along with lowering the amount of non Power 5 conference teams in favor of the Power 5 leagues.

This would be done one week after they've been showing a week of Power 5 Conference Tournaments.

Do you really think the Networks are going to pay for that ?

The Power 5 don't control the NCAA Tournament any more than they control the College Football.

The Networks do------and the Networks love the NCAA Tournament as it's currently constructed.

Ratings from the Selection Sunday Show to the Final have never been better.

What you're proposing is the Tournament eliminate all the lower level conference automatic bids along with lowering the amount of non Power 5 conference teams in favor of the Power 5 leagues.

This would be done one week after they've been showing a week of Power 5 Conference Tournaments.

Do you really think the Networks are going to pay for that ?

People thought like you do , when the NCAA's right to control TV contracts was challenged in 1984.
Not saying controlling a MBB tourney will result in a court case, but only
thinking something couldn't happen.
TV networks will go with what will bring in the most advertising dollars and if the P-5 starting a MBB Tourney
between its members and traditional powers playing in mid major basketball conferences, that's the tourney the networks will want to cover.
Right now what I think can happen might seem far fetched , but::
"Never underestimate the power of greed"

Hawk nails this...

People forget that Syracuse is a tremendous basketball program...but really is Boeheim.

Go back and look at the Cuse after the probation in the early 90s...for a 10 year period there til Carmelo...they really got by with Boeheim being a really, really superior bench and player development coach as their recruiting was nothing special. They really could not leverage then playing before 20000 (that was pretty much their average then)...into top 10 classes...and there was a leveling off there of the program and interest that reinvogrrated when Melo came

Hopkins will have to be every bit as good as HOF Coach boeheim to keep it going and leverage the Cuse name and assets.

I am still really surprised that JB wil turn the keys over to him...and they don't go outside for a big name proven coach which their assets certainly can afford

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT