ADVERTISEMENT

Another solid HS recruit who doesn't understand the difficulties of making it on the field in D1

I appreciate the OP's constant attempts to defend himself from literally every single poster who disagrees with him. Eventually, you will be able to make people understand why you are right and they are all wrong.

By the way, you ever hear the saying "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole"?

Justified is a solid show.

Going to OSU over a MAC school assuming he had good grades at both OSU carries more clout the any MAC school in med school admissions. So he did the right thing. And he can always look his father in the eye and say I make the team may not have started but I participated. He was going to med school Not the Pros. let it go

RBSO5 Love your avatar... UConn loss to Rutgers in the final seconds (The Tim Brown catch) GREAT SHOT

These are all the schools that offered Frank Epitropoulos.. according to Rivals

Ohio St. COMMITTED (04/26/2011) Offered 12/09/2011
Duke Offered
Kent St. Offered
Louisville Offered
Miami (OH) Offered
Purdue Offered
Stanford Offered
Syracuse Offered
Toledo Offered
West Virginia Offered
Wisconsin Offered

Can anyone here tell me why this kid, future medical school candidate, wouldn't have been better off at Duke or Stanford AND had a better chance at playing? OP point is reasonable.. within limits.

Can anyone here tell me why this kid, future medical school candidate, wouldn't have been better off at Duke or Stanford AND had a better chance at playing? OP point is reasonable.. within limits.

Ohio State plays in the B1G and has the talent to win a national championship? And he thought he could be a part of that while getting a good education at a major school (one that is part of the CIC)?

Maybe because HE'S FROM OHIO?!?

These are all the schools that offered Frank Epitropoulos.. according to Rivals

Ohio St. COMMITTED (04/26/2011) Offered 12/09/2011
Duke Offered
Kent St. Offered
Louisville Offered
Miami (OH) Offered
Purdue Offered
Stanford Offered
Syracuse Offered
Toledo Offered
West Virginia Offered
Wisconsin Offered

Given his family background, he probably dreamed about playing for OSU since he was a child. Nothing wrong with following your dream, he still will be heading to med school.

Don't we want NJ kids wanting to play for RU?

Ohio State plays in the B1G and has the talent to win a national championship? And he thought he could be a part of that while getting a good education at a major school (one that is part of the CIC)?

Maybe because HE'S FROM OHIO?!?

So you are saying he is better off NOT playing at Ohio State than he would be PLAYING at Duke or Stanford.. because he is from Ohio.. is that it?

The whole premise of the OP is based on opportunity to PLAY. The OP is suggesting that if such kids were more realistic in assessing their chances to see the field at the big powers like Ohio State and Alabama and so on, then the talent could disburse to other programs. the kids at this level would get the same or better education AND actually see the field.

Maybe this kid did make the conscious decision to stay in-state and largely be a practice player.. a scout team guy. Every program needs them too. Then again, maybe he did not fully realize what the level of competition meant to him.. as a player. That is the whole premise of the OP and, I think, it is a fair question.

I'm sure he regrets aspiring to go to medical school instead of making a career of getting concussions and having severe brain damage by the time he's 35.

This thread is a real winner, OP.

So you are saying he is better off NOT playing at Ohio State than he would be PLAYING at Duke or Stanford.. because he is from Ohio.. is that it?

The whole premise of the OP is based on opportunity to PLAY. The OP is suggesting that if such kids were more realistic in assessing their chances to see the field at the big powers like Ohio State and Alabama and so on, then the talent could disburse to other programs. the kids at this level would get the same or better education AND actually see the field.

Maybe this kid did make the conscious decision to stay in-state and largely be a practice player.. a scout team guy. Every program needs them too. Then again, maybe he did not fully realize what the level of competition meant to him.. as a player. That is the whole premise of the OP and, I think, it is a fair question.
So you don't think he knew that OSU recruits top talent? I would not want him to be my doctor if that was the case.

What is missing from the OP and would support his premise, is that Frank regrets his decision to go to OSU. Financially both his parents are surgeons, so paying for one year of undergraduate education at a state school is not going to be an issue.

His father played at OSU and he's a local kid. He's been to every home game since he can remember as well as numerous unofficial visits. He knew exactly the caliber of athletes at OSU.

OSU is always on the short list of a multitude of top prospects. Their problem isn't finding enough commitments, it's not having enough scholarships. The coaches wouldn't have offered unless they felt he had the potential to contribute.

I'm sure he regrets aspiring to go to medical school instead of making a career of getting concussions and having severe brain damage by the time he's 35.

This thread is a real winner, OP.

haha I was over this thread because I just couldn't defend it anymore. The "Good Ol' Rutgers" seems to be the ONLY poster to understand what I was trying to say.

As for mal359, you're post is EVERYTHING that is wrong with this forum. NO WHERE did I say that he messed up going to medical school. All I was saying was he could have went somewhere to PLAY FOOTBALL AND ATTEND MED SCHOOL. Oh and if he had went somewhere where he could have more realistically played he would have saved his family about 25-50k.

I guess these guys shouldn't have gone to Ohio State either, since they were all 3-star recruits who could have made a bigger impact somewhere else without all those pesky 4 and 5-star guys ahead of them:

Darron Lee
Tyvis Powell
Devin Smith
Evan Spencer
Jonathan Hankins
Bradley Roby
John Simon
Brian Hartline
Brian Robiskie
Malcom Jenkins
James Laurinaitis
AJ Hawk
Santonio Holmes

Just a quick glace of starters and/or those who were also drafted off the top of my head.

Congratulations you named the guys who made it. Now name the all the 3 stars who did not. haha the list would be 5 times as long over the same time period. Of course people CAN make it, but I was talking about probabilities . If you can't see that the PROBABILITY of this kid playing at Stanford was better than him playing at Ohio State then i don't know what to do.

Mike, Mike, Mike, this is a tough crowd. Once your thread started going downhill there was lots of piling on.

I think we all understand what you are trying to say but there are just too many unknowns in your premise to support it. The best players will see playing time whether they're walk-ons or 5 stars so we all seem to be saying that he just wasn't good enough to play. He might not have played at Duke, RU, etc. either.

I think you're trying to make the argument that he should have gone to "less talented" football team and may have been a player. That's hard to know. Maybe he was over rated to begin with. Maybe his dream was OSU. Maybe that dream was full-filled in the 3 years.

I also don't agree with your somewhat hidden premise that 3 star recruits should go to Rutgers because they're more likely to play. I am not conceding any 4 or 5 star guy to anyone. I hate when a recruit chooses a school because he thinks he can see early playing time...that's a huge dis of any current roster.

(And to make you feel better, I'm going to 'like' a bunch of your posts)

So how do you guys feel about Warren Ball? Oh wait.... you have never heard of Warren Ball? Well he was a 4-star recruit in 2012 and according to Rivals he was the 16th best RB in the nation.

Lets compare him to some 3-star kids who chose Rutgers instead of a talent loaded school like OSU.

Warren Ball (RS Jr) career stats = 31 carries for 161 yards. And he currently sitting at 3rd on the depth chart at OSU

Now lets compare him to Paul James (RS Sr) = 224 carries for 1266 yards and 14 TDs rushing and 15 rec for 227 yards and 2 TDs receiving.

Oh and before you say OH PAUL JAMES WAS A FLUKE....

Justin Goodwin (Jr) = 194 carries for 849 yards and 6 TDS.

Oh and just in case you STILL think that it is a fluke...

Desmon Peoples (RS Jr) = 121 carries for 463 yards and 3 TDs.

ALL OF THESE GUYS WERE RATED BELOW Ball and yet they all have had wayyyy more productive careers.

And before you say.... HEY WAIT BALL injured his knee and that is why his stats are so low....

My response would be..... EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!!! If you go to a school like OSU your margin for error is so slim! If you get injured, odds are a stud recruit is going to fly right by you on the depth chart and leave you behind! (Anyone remember that guy Braxton Miller who was one of the top college QB's in the country?)

Anyway I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say. If not... whatever I tried I can only do so much on a message board.

So how do you guys feel about Warren Ball? Oh wait.... you have never heard of Warren Ball? Well he was a 4-star recruit in 2012 and according to Rivals he was the 16th best RB in the nation.

Lets compare him to some 3-star kids who chose Rutgers instead of a talent loaded school like OSU.

Warren Ball (RS Jr) career stats = 31 carries for 161 yards. And he currently sitting at 3rd on the depth chart at OSU

Now lets compare him to Paul James (RS Sr) = 224 carries for 1266 yards and 14 TDs rushing and 15 rec for 227 yards and 2 TDs receiving.

Oh and before you say OH PAUL JAMES WAS A FLUKE....

Justin Goodwin (Jr) = 194 carries for 849 yards and 6 TDS.

Oh and just in case you STILL think that it is a fluke...

Desmon Peoples (RS Jr) = 121 carries for 463 yards and 3 TDs.

ALL OF THESE GUYS WERE RATED BELOW Ball and yet they all have had wayyyy more productive careers.

And before you say.... HEY WAIT BALL injured his knee and that is why his stats are so low....

My response would be..... EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!!! If you go to a school like OSU your margin for error is so slim! If you get injured, odds are a stud recruit is going to fly right by you on the depth chart and leave you behind! (Anyone remember that guy Braxton Miller who was one of the top college QB's in the country?)

Anyway I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say. If not... whatever I tried I can only do so much on a message board.

You have just taken the opposite side of your argument? James and Goodwin by your logic should not have come to Rutgers. 4* Savon huggins was here, therefor by you logic they should have gone where there was less talent. Also your pt on all the 3* that didnt make it look no closer than RU. We have had a ton of 3* not see the field here either. People go where they go for different reasons, i am sure he knew it would be hard. Time to move to a new battle mike.

You have just taken the opposite side of your argument? James and Goodwin by your logic should not have come to Rutgers. 4* Savon huggins was here, therefor by you logic they should have gone where there was less talent. Also your pt on all the 3* that didnt make it look no closer than RU. We have had a ton of 3* not see the field here either. People go where they go for different reasons, i am sure he knew it would be hard. Time to move to a new battle mike.

You cannot be serious?!?!?!?! You MUST be just trying to troll my thread for some odd reason because you cannot be serious with this post.

You just compared the level of talent on the Rutgers roster with the level of talent on the Ohio State roster!!!!!

Savon Huggins was just one guy. Also, Rutgers does not have the reputation for constantly bringing in 4 and 5 star recruits each and every year. So when James and Goodwin chose Rutgers they knew they were only going up against one 5 star recruit. They weren't going against a 4 or 5 star RB in the class 3 years ahead of them, 2 years ahead of them, 1 year ahead of them, the same year as them, the year after them, the year 2 years after them and the year 3 years after them.

But its ok RUtix4me I know you couldn't possibly be serious with your post... you just posted that to try to pile on or something....

I wouldn't be surprised if the OSU FB coaching staff and School set up Frank Epitropoulos to get the best financial aid package he could get.
Also they might find a Graduate School loan forgiveness program he can enter at OSU's Medical School or a Loan repayment program that if you
agree to work in an undeserved area or a clinical research in a needed area for a certain length of time , you student loasn to pay for Medical School is significantly reduced.
OSU also might find a way to put Epitropoulos on a partial scholarship.
But in any case, I'm sure the Buckeyes will try to help him find ways to keep the cost of going to Medical School as low as possible.

I think the kid made a smart decision now and also when he chose where he wanted to go to play FB, knowing playing time might be hard to get, but would be a Buckeye FB player all his life.
Winners might not win starting positions, but they are not afraid to compete, with those considered, better for that position.
I wish Frank Epitropoulos well .
His dad played at OSU and then went on to a very successful career he probably donated more to OSU than what Frank received in scholarships.

RUtix4me that post wasn't actually serious right? If it was I am truly shocked...

Maybe ask if i am serious one more time. Let's be frank where did you see me compare Rutgers talent to OSU. What I did do was note that players like James who had no stars from what I can see, took a challenge on a team where they would come in as the best and suceeded. Savon was not the only RB at Rutgers. Basically your point was that is a waste of time and sad

Now everyone has asked if your mind reading post that claims this kid made the mistake of his life. If you want to try and turn thhis entire ridiculous thread on me to feel better, then great. The entire premis of this thread is a joke, so whats one more joke from me.

Last edited:
Here I'll post twice;

Dude you floated an idea that no on agrees with....move on

RUtix4me just stop it.....you're busted. You obviously work for Rivals. Your job is to come on threads and add absolutely ABSURD comments to threads that are so crazy that it gets people's attention and creates a response. And trust me that last post of yours was a doozie, but it was just a bit too obvious. You showed your hand bud.

Maybe ask if i am serious one more time. Let's be frank where did you see me compare Rutgers talent to OSU. What I did do was note that players like James who had no stars from what I can see, took a challenge on a team where they would come in as the best and suceeded. Savon was not the only RB at Rutgers. Basically your point was that is a waste of time and sad

Now everyone has asked if your mind reading post that claims this kid made the mistake of his life. If you want to try and turn thhis entire ridiculous thread on me to feel better, then great. The entire premis of this thread is a joke, so whats one more joke from me.

And what do you mean "Lets be frank where did you see me compare Rutgers to OSU?" lol. That was exactly what you did.

You're exact words were "Savon huggins was here, therefor by you logic they should have gone where there was less talent." So you are speaking about my "logic" which was that players should think twice before attending a school with loaded talent at their position (and a history of getting talented players at your position) and instead take a harder look at a school where your probability of playing is higher because they historically do not have as many 4 or 5 star recruits ahead of you, with you, and coming up behind you in age.

So now your point was that "according to my logic" because Rutgers has one single 4 star recruit at RB that James and Goodwin and People shouldn't have chosen Huggins because of that. BUT THAT IS WHERE YOU COMPLETELY ARE MISSING OUT ON A HUGE POINT!!!! Rutgers is NOT the powerhouse recruiting school that OSU is! When you choose to go to OSU as a 3 star... you know there is probably at least 2 4 star RBS ahead of you, that there is probably going to be at least 1 or 2 in your class, and that there will be at least 1 more 4 star adn possibly even a 5 star in one of those 3 years after you ! At Rutgers this is a 1% chance of happening.

So yeah rather than try to attack me for contributing to a message board and then slipping in that you were joking....

Maybe you should just say you were joking and not say anything after that. (Even though we all know you were not joking)

And what do you mean "Lets be frank where did you see me compare Rutgers to OSU?" lol. That was exactly what you did.

You're exact words were "Savon huggins was here, therefor by you logic they should have gone where there was less talent." So you are speaking about my "logic" which was that players should think twice before attending a school with loaded talent at their position (and a history of getting talented players at your position) and instead take a harder look at a school where your probability of playing is higher because they historically do not have as many 4 or 5 star recruits ahead of you, with you, and coming up behind you in age.

So now your point was that "according to my logic" because Rutgers has one single 4 star recruit at RB that James and Goodwin and People shouldn't have chosen Huggins because of that. BUT THAT IS WHERE YOU COMPLETELY ARE MISSING OUT ON A HUGE POINT!!!! Rutgers is NOT the powerhouse recruiting school that OSU is! When you choose to go to OSU as a 3 star... you know there is probably at least 2 4 star RBS ahead of you, that there is probably going to be at least 1 or 2 in your class, and that there will be at least 1 more 4 star adn possibly even a 5 star in one of those 3 years after you ! At Rutgers this is a 1% chance of happening.

So yeah rather than try to attack me for contributing to a message board and then slipping in that you were joking....

Maybe you should just say you were joking and not say anything after that. (Even though we all know you were not joking)

There is a difference between joking and writing a post that is a joke, subtle difference, but you seem to know What I am thnking and what arecruit was thinking 4 years ago. i dont agree with your premiss, or all of your hypothesis. I wote one sentence and you come back wit two paragraphs telling me what i was thinking. You seem to be good at thinking you know what other people are thinking. Carry on with your view, still not buying it that a 3* commiting to to OSU is sad....if you are afraid, or can't beat the best then you probably wont suceed anyway.

You're getting way too defensive, Mike. Nobody's trolling your post here. People are picking apart the fallacies and assumptions throughout your post.

Let's start with the thread title:

Another solid HS recruit who doesn't understand the difficulties of making it on the field in D1

I would believe quite well that he understood the difficulties of D1 playing time. He knew more about that tOSU program than many of the players on that team. He's been around the program his entire life. He wanted to go there, get a great education, and do the best he could to contribute. Your assumption that he he doesn't understand that tOSU gets top recruits is what people are attacking. The kid's going to med school. I'm guessing he's not a moron like your thread title makes him seem like.

Further in JUST your original post:

"But then he makes his fatal mistake."

The kid loves tOSU. He wouldn't trade it for the world. It helped him get into med school and play football on the highest level until he felt it was time to give it up and concentrate on his career. There's nothing fatal about it. There's no mistake there. That's what people are nitpicking about.

More from just your original post:

"Sad story as he could have went somewhere and have racked up a good career, had fans know his name for the rest of his life, saved him and his family tons of money by playing football AND also going to medical school, and he would have given himself the chance to MAYBE make the NFL because he at least had the opportunity to prove his stuff against D1 competition."

Again, I'd consider a kid getting to live out his dream playing for his favorite team, putting himself in a position to do what he wants to do for the rest of his life (med school). THIS IS ANYTHING BUT A SAD STORY.

Nobody's trolling you. They're just pointing out flaws in your posts. Nobody can argue that a recruit at Rutgers has a better chance of playing time. They can argue that that same recruit would have an even better chance at UConn or Syracuse or Temple, and you can keep going down the line until the kid has a 100% chance to play in a local friendly adult sports flag football league if he really wants.

You're getting way too defensive, Mike. Nobody's trolling your post here. People are picking apart the fallacies and assumptions throughout your post.

Let's start with the thread title:

I would believe quite well that he understood the difficulties of D1 playing time. He knew more about that tOSU program than many of the players on that team. He's been around the program his entire life. He wanted to go there, get a great education, and do the best he could to contribute. Your assumption that he he doesn't understand that tOSU gets top recruits is what people are attacking. The kid's going to med school. I'm guessing he's not a moron like your thread title makes him seem like.

Further in JUST your original post:

"But then he makes his fatal mistake."

The kid loves tOSU. He wouldn't trade it for the world. It helped him get into med school and play football on the highest level until he felt it was time to give it up and concentrate on his career. There's nothing fatal about it. There's no mistake there. That's what people are nitpicking about.

More from just your original post:

"Sad story as he could have went somewhere and have racked up a good career, had fans know his name for the rest of his life, saved him and his family tons of money by playing football AND also going to medical school, and he would have given himself the chance to MAYBE make the NFL because he at least had the opportunity to prove his stuff against D1 competition."

Again, I'd consider a kid getting to live out his dream playing for his favorite team, putting himself in a position to do what he wants to do for the rest of his life (med school). THIS IS ANYTHING BUT A SAD STORY.

Nobody's trolling you. They're just pointing out flaws in your posts. Nobody can argue that a recruit at Rutgers has a better chance of playing time. They can argue that that same recruit would have an even better chance at UConn or Syracuse or Temple, and you can keep going down the line until the kid has a 100% chance to play in a local friendly adult sports flag football league if he really wants.

Phila Phans all I am doing is trying to logically and fairly discuss my viewpoints and point out fallacies in people's responses. There are a lot of people making posts on the thread and so I have a lot of responses... I am not "getting too defensive" I am just discussing back and forth with people which is the point of a message board.

Beyond that you are missing the point that it seems many of people on this thread are missing. I NEVER SAID HE MESSED UP BY GETTING INTO OHIO STATE AND MED SCHOOL! That was obviously a success.

My whole point was about how players make the mistake of choosing these powerhouse recruiting schools and then getting a small window to show their stuff and earn their spot and then if they don't then they are essentially done because a whole new class of higher ranked players are coming in behind you.

The posteer earlier " Good Ol'Rutgers" summed up the point very eloquently when he wrote...

And Phila Phans come on.... I was obviously messing with him when I said his post "could not be serious and that he must be trolling me." I said that to show how far off the mark his post was. I did not think he was actually trolling me.

And just you know in case you missed my other joke/sarcastic remark.... when I said that RUtix4me "must work for Rivals and he makes these absurd posts just to drum up attention and responses" I was not being serious... I was only messing around with him haha.

And yet another of the consistently appearing threads that try and bash kids for picking Ohio State over Rutgers. Nonsense. Pure idiocy.

The kid's family is two things: medical professionals and Ohio State people.

But he should have come to Rutgers! Where he could have played!

He followed his dream. It didn't work out, but he has a hell of a soft landing. Good for him.

(Mind you, if we had a player who barely got into a game and ended up going to med school instead of the NFL, you would see people on this board crowing about it and crediting the "family" atmosphere here. F-ing hypocrite.)

And yet another of the consistently appearing threads that try and bash kids for picking Ohio State over Rutgers. Nonsense. Pure idiocy.

He followed his dream. It didn't work out, but he has a hell of a soft landing. Good for him.

(Mind you, if we had a player who barely got into a game and ended up going to med school instead of the NFL, you would see people on this board crowing about it and crediting the "family" atmosphere here. F-ing hypocrite.)

Dude come on really? Did you not read any of this thread?

I NEVER SAID HE MESSED UP BY GETTING INTO OHIO STATE AND MED SCHOOL! That was obviously a success.

My whole point was about how players make the mistake of choosing these powerhouse recruiting schools and then getting a small window to show their stuff and earn their spot and then if they don't then they are essentially done because a whole new class of higher ranked players are coming in behind you.

The poster earlier " Good Ol'Rutgers" summed up the point very eloquently when he wrote...

I'm going to regret jumping in here, but what the hell....

Mike, you keep saying that you never said he messed up by going to OSU and eventually med school. Ok fine. But you did make sensationalist claims like "he makes his fatal mistake" and "sad story as he could have......"

Your point about guys going to football factory schools is a fair one, but the reason people are jumping on you here is the context around the example you chose is horrible. And your supporting arguments throughout the thread make it look like you're backtracking. You may not be, but that's the appearance from this objective third party. You seem to be offended by people who disagree. I happen to disagree with the premise of your OP, but it's cool. Let's all just chill.

And also you could not be more wrong at the end. If a 1 star RB chose Rutgers when he knows we have a bunch of higher ranked recruits ahead of him and also have some solid higher ranked kids in his upcoming class and we also have a solid reputation for recruiting and producing some pretty darn good RBs and ended up never getting on the field and ending up in Med School....

I would have said "here is an example that other kids should be wary of. Players in general should choose a school similar in academics, but LESS talented at his position so he could have played and at least have had his chance to make the NFL and have gotten all 4 years paid for instead of Frank who only got 3 AND STILL HAVE GOTTEN INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!" That is what I am saying and is the WHOLE POINT OF THE POST!

And obviously who knows if the 1- star kid had both parents attend Rutgers and has dreamed on going to Rutgers. That is fine then he should attend Rutgers and be happy. I WOULD ONLY BE USING HIM AS AN EXAMPLE THE SAME WAY I AM USING FRANK AS AN EXAMPLE to discuss recruits and their decision process in general.

I'm going to regret jumping in here, but what the hell....

Mike, you keep saying that you never said he messed up by going to OSU and eventually med school. Ok fine. But you did make sensationalist claims like "he makes his fatal mistake" and "sad story as he could have......"

Your point about guys going to football factory schools is a fair one, but the reason people are jumping on you here is the context around the example you chose is horrible. And your supporting arguments throughout the thread make it look like you're backtracking. You may not be, but that's the appearance from this objective third party. You seem to be offended by people who disagree. I happen to disagree with the premise of your OP, but it's cool. Let's all just chill.

I have no problem with people disagreeing. I am just responding to everyone's posts. If you think that responding to people post's is "being offended" then that is your opinion, but I would not characterize it that way.

And also, again, if you think my original post is about FRANK EPITOPOLOUS or however you spell his name that is fine... I cannot convince you otherwise apparently. But common sense who tell you I am NOT speaking specifically about his case because there is no way to no ANY RECRUITS specific situation and dreams, etc.

To me I made it pretty obvious I was talking about recruits and their decision to attend powerhouse recruiting schools for the brand or whatever and not thinking hard enough about their chances to get on the field.

And I know I am not crazy (which I thought I was for a second) because some people completely understood what I was trying to say and actually put it even more eloquently than I did.

I am sorry I put the words "sad" and "medical school" in the same post though. I will never do that again because there could be no other possible point to a thread with those words in it other than the poster saying that "It is said that this kid made it into medical school." haha (sarcasm for those who can't tell)

And also you could not be more wrong at the end. If a 1 star RB chose Rutgers when he knows we have a bunch of higher ranked recruits ahead of him and also have some solid higher ranked kids in his upcoming class and we also have a solid reputation for recruiting and producing some pretty darn good RBs and ended up never getting on the field and ending up in Med School....

I would have said "here is an example that other kids should be wary of. Players in general should choose a school similar in academics, but LESS talented at his position so he could have played and at least have had his chance to make the NFL and have gotten all 4 years paid for instead of Frank who only got 3 AND STILL HAVE GOTTEN INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!" That is what I am saying and is the WHOLE POINT OF THE POST!

And obviously who knows if the 1- star kid had both parents attend Rutgers and has dreamed on going to Rutgers. That is fine then he should attend Rutgers and be happy. I WOULD ONLY BE USING HIM AS AN EXAMPLE THE SAME WAY I AM USING FRANK AS AN EXAMPLE to discuss recruits and their decision process in general.
He got an opportunity to play for his hometown school, the school where his father played, his dream school. Not sure how this is a sad story.

It just seems like Frank was a poor example to make your point. It was like you wanted to talk about the problems of being a child star and used Ron Howard as your example. Both guys will end up fine.

MikeRu, it was just a bad example for your argument. Just admit it. Regarding what we all know was your main point- and for the purposes of consistency I'll stick with football playing time and not go into education or what an individual's dream might be, you can say the same thing for any player who doesn't play.

A three star, four star,or five star, at OSU who gets beat out by another player could have gone to another program, especially a lesser talented one, and have had a better chance to "show their stuff". As the cliche goes, "Hindsight is 20/20".

You could say the same thing about anyone buried in the depth chart at Rutgers. Was it a mistake for them to have committed to the Scarlet Knights? Based on your arguemnts it would be yes.

Mike, maybe this will shed a little light on how he ended up at OSU; life long dream, legacy, good receiver.

I had't really focused on this till now, but here is the missing link in your theory. He committed in April 2011, Urban Meyer was hired 6-months later. He was not lined up behind a ton of 5-star commits, in fact OSU had not received a commit in 5-months prior to his commitment and 2011 in general was a tough yr, due to unknown pending sanctions. Frankly he committed to school when it was down, and its future uncertain. The wave of recruits started the next year. I applaud the kid for sticking with OSU when they were down, med schoold is not a sad ending. And yes maybe the schools,fortunes took off 6-months later with the hiring of Meyer,something he absolutely could not have forseen...but i guess you the person who knows what every one is thinking maybe would have forseen that.

I have no problem with people disagreeing. I am just responding to everyone's posts. If you think that responding to people post's is "being offended" then that is your opinion, but I would not characterize it that way.

And also, again, if you think my original post is about FRANK EPITOPOLOUS or however you spell his name that is fine... I cannot convince you otherwise apparently. But common sense who tell you I am NOT speaking specifically about his case because there is no way to no ANY RECRUITS specific situation and dreams, etc.

To me I made it pretty obvious I was talking about recruits and their decision to attend powerhouse recruiting schools for the brand or whatever and not thinking hard enough about their chances to get on the field.

And I know I am not crazy (which I thought I was for a second) because some people completely understood what I was trying to say and actually put it even more eloquently than I did.

I am sorry I put the words "sad" and "medical school" in the same post though. I will never do that again because there could be no other possible point to a thread with those words in it other than the poster saying that "It is said that this kid made it into medical school." haha (sarcasm for those who can't tell)

Well then I would politely suggest you should consider sharpening your skills when it comes to making a point. Just say what you want to say and avoid the parallels that are apparently throwing 90% of us off.

MikeRu, it was just a bad example for your argument. Just admit it. Regarding what we all know was your main point- and for the purposes of consistency I'll stick with football playing time and not go into education or what an individual's dream might be, you can say the same thing for any player who doesn't play.

A three star, four star,or five star, at OSU who gets beat out by another player could have gone to another program, especially a lesser talented one, and have had a better chance to "show their stuff". As the cliche goes, "Hindsight is 20/20".

You could say the same thing about anyone buried in the depth chart at Rutgers. Was it a mistake for them to have committed to the Scarlet Knights? Based on your arguemnts it would be yes.

OK THIS IS MY FINAL POST!

So Mr. Klemman..... you say at the end of your post the following... "You could say the same thing about anyone buried in the depth chart at Rutgers. Was it a mistake for them to have committed to the Scarlet Knights? Based on your arguemnts it would be yes."

You have right there just MISSED THE ENTIRE POINT! You cannot say that about "ANYONE" buried in the depth chart of Rutgers. This is because you are missing the main criteria that the entire original post was based on ... which was that a lesser rated recruit should think twice about attending a powerhouse recruiting team like OSU. So right off the bat you seem to be off-point because not every player buried on the depth chart at Rutgers was a "lesser" recruit.

Also, continuing the above paragraph..... you are missing the point by comparing what I said about Frank and OSU to a recruit/player at Rutgers because RUTGERS IS NOT A RECRUITING POWERHOUSE THAT CONSISTENTLY GETS 4 AND 5 STAR RECRUITS! So again it is a much rare situation for an example to happen at Rutgers, but yes it could happen. See my post about 4 posts above about the hypothetical 1 star RB recruit who chooses Rutgers.

Figures i point out meyer wasn't even there and you ignore it and run away. Lol

Mike, maybe this will shed a little light on how he ended up at OSU; life long dream, legacy, good receiver.

I had't really focused on this till now, but here is the missing link in your theory. He committed in April 2011, Urban Meyer was hired 6-months later. He was not lined up behind a ton of 5-star commits, in fact OSU had not received a commit in 5-months prior to his commitment and 2011 in general was a tough yr, due to unknown pending sanctions. Frankly he committed to school when it was down, and its future uncertain. The wave of recruits started the next year. I applaud the kid for sticking with OSU when they were down, med schoold is not a sad ending. And yes maybe the schools,fortunes took off 6-months later with the hiring of Meyer,something he absolutely could not have forseen...but i guess you the person who knows what every one is thinking maybe would have forseen that.

THANK YOU RUtix4me THIS WAS A LEGIT POST! Everyone else please take note! ^^^^This was a legit post and was the type of discussion/information that I enjoy when I post on a message board.

P.S Again I NEVER SAID GOING TO MED SCHOOL WAS SAD haha but I give up on trying to prove that to people. I made the mistake of putting the word "sad" and "medical school" in the same post and I guess I will just have to live with people thinking that.

P.S.S But let us not let that overshadow RUtix4me real point which was EXCELLENT. I did not even think about all that and definitely sheds some light on Frank's specific decision.

Well then I would politely suggest you should consider sharpening your skills when it comes to making a point. Just say what you want to say and avoid the parallels that are apparently throwing 90% of us off.

Well I appreciate your advice. And I will definitely take it because this thread was very light on real discussion of the overall point and 90% horrible communication/critical thinking and that is NOT what I think any of us are looking for from this message board.

ADVERTISEMENT