ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Russo - Let's do this!

You're in this thread.

As you well know, I'm unconcerned with what I consider to be the nonsense of "taking advantage of the opportunity we have thought would come about from the miracle of being a member of the Big Ten." It's too soon. The "Fire Flood" craze of a year and a half ago, mere days on the heels of the B1G announcement, totally destroyed that recruiting class. It hurt us with the '15 recruits as well, since recruiting is now a drama that plays out over two years instead of one. As for "this year", it's still May. To me, trends are everything. If the '15 season holds up to critical scrutiny and the '16 recruiting class is better than the '15 class, then I'm comfortable.

But cool pragmatism is, I believe, the thing which is both most effective and most sane. The program, as a whole, has metrics which must be hit in order for Flood's tenure to be sustainable. If he hits them, then he stays. If he doesn't, then Julie hires a new coach. We, the boosters, have a small role to play once the tide turns. The gnashing of teeth and rending of garments before the fact, in my opinion, is a waste of energy and a distraction from the more enjoyable moments.

Reactions: ClassOf02
If there is any truth about recruits basing their decision on fan board opinions then why don't we all join other schools boards and trash the recruits. That should cease the 5 stars from going to Michigan Ohio St. etc.

You're in this thread.

As you well know, I'm unconcerned with what I consider to be the nonsense of "taking advantage of the opportunity we have thought would come about from the miracle of being a member of the Big Ten." It's too soon. The "Fire Flood" craze of a year and a half ago, mere days on the heels of the B1G announcement, totally destroyed that recruiting class. It hurt us with the '15 recruits as well, since recruiting is now a drama that plays out over two years instead of one. As for "this year", it's still May. To me, trends are everything. If the '15 season holds up to critical scrutiny and the '16 recruiting class is better than the '15 class, then I'm comfortable.

But cool pragmatism is, I believe, the thing which is both most effective and most sane. The program, as a whole, has metrics which must be hit in order for Flood's tenure to be sustainable. If he hits them, then he stays. If he doesn't, then Julie hires a new coach. We, the boosters, have a small role to play once the tide turns. The gnashing of teeth and rending of garments before the fact, in my opinion, is a waste of energy and a distraction from the more enjoyable moments.
Over a beer this coming season we can discuss the too soon issue. 2016 will be the 4th recruiting class since the invite. To me that isn't a new issue. Again I never concern myself with a single recruit but Rutgers hasn't seen a bump in recruiting that I had expected. Besides at my age I'm running out of waiting until the next year. :)

The point is simply this - you and others (such as CureMySyphilisRU) take the opportunity to express your message in every single thread.

We get it. You have issues with Flood's recruiting. There's no one here who doesn't know that you have issues with Flood's recruiting. There's no amount of you whining about it that's going to change either the fact that you have issues with Flood's recruiting or the fact that everyone on the whole f*cking planet knows about it.

So maybe, if there's a thread welcoming a new recruit, you and the endlessly complaining asshole, et al, could limit your complaining to the 352 threads in which you're already complaining.

Well said. Grown men acting like spoiled kids when they did not get what they perceive as the best piece of cake. As if their constant bellyaching is going to change anything. SMH.

If there is any truth about recruits basing their decision on fan board opinions then why don't we all join other schools boards and trash the recruits. That should cease the 5 stars from going to Michigan Ohio St. etc.

Damn. That's one hell of a gene pool.

Recap - Under Flood - 4 QB recruits, none of whom had a single offer from a top 75 team. Not a way to build a program unless you're in the Patriot League. But hey, we beat out Monmouth and UConn for our most recent commit - and that's two more offers than our last two QB recruits had...combined.

It's honestly time to redo your user name again.

I watched Russo's film last night and came away very impressed. Since I never played the game (organized), he seems to put alot of arc on alot of his throws, is that intentional? Another thing I liked is that he rolls out quite a bit and has the ability to hit targets on the run. Another great attribute.

Stating Flood is a weak recruiter or Russo is plan c to Haskin are opinions from anonymous posters. Some here are taking these opinions very personally. And even more bizarre that they feel these opinions will sway potential recruits.

To be fair, the conversation here was about encouraging a kid to commit to Rutgers. Which makes the second bolded part of your post somewhat ironic.
You need to go back and read that my post was about a comment in the thread not about the OP itself. The irony in most of these threads is the complete lack of reading comprehension like yours here.

You need to go back and read that my post was about a comment in the thread not about the OP itself. The irony in most of these threads is the complete lack of reading comprehension like yours here.

From a black & white perspective, you're correct. However, this particular thread never should have turned into what is has since it was designed to encourage a kid to commit to RU. Not saying that's your fault, but the fact that you admitted earlier that you never participated in a thread about a new recruit (or potential one), yet you did find your way into this thread once it turned negative (and opposite its intended course) just proves it's your usual negative schtick.

From a black & white perspective, you're correct. However, this particular thread never should have turned into what is has since it was designed to encourage a kid to commit to RU. Not saying that's your fault, but the fact that you admitted earlier that you never participated in a thread about a new recruit (or potential one), yet you did find your way into this thread once it turned negative (and opposite its intended course) just proves it's your usual negative schtick.
By the time I joined this thread it had already had gone off track and it was after Russo had committed. So it was no longer relevant to Just Do It. By than he had already did do it. And the negativity started with mdk's post mocking posters on here. Why don't you go bother him.
And again let's make it clear that this is a football fan message board not a recruiting tool. People need to focus to the reality of what this board is

I watched Russo's film last night and came away very impressed. Since I never played the game (organized), he seems to put alot of arc on alot of his throws, is that intentional? Another thing I liked is that he rolls out quite a bit and has the ability to hit targets on the run. Another great attribute.
Same level of expertise, or maybe even less, when it comes to evaluating, but I wondered the same thing actually. I think I read some qualified analysis somewhere else where a QB coach was saying he was allowing his receivers to run under it and showed enough "zip" on his other throws as to not question his arm strength. BTW, A fine attempt to get things back on track here, but once derailed, unfortunately, these threads tend to stay derailed.

Recap - Under Flood - 4 QB recruits, none of whom had a single offer from a top 75 team. Not a way to build a program unless you're in the Patriot League. But hey, we beat out Monmouth and UConn for our most recent commit - and that's two more offers than our last two QB recruits had...combined.
Why don't you just stop posting? Fruitcake

I didn't mock this kid. Nobody called this kid out. The conversation is about the current staff not taking advantage of being in the Big Ten. I've said many time before that I never begrudge a kid his choice of any school he wants to attend. But overall you can't bury your head in the sand when Rutgers has gained no advantage of becoming a Big Ten member.
The reading comprehension skills on here suck by so many. My point about anonymous board was about those that think kids cares about what some guy/gal posts on here. We are not a part of the recruiting process, period.

The issue is not reading comprehension. In fact most likely the opposite is true. Some of us who take the time and enjoy reading the boards are able to easily identify themes or agendas from certain posters who carry forward and propagate the same messages over and over again in numerous threads over time.

The other point in my post had nothing to do with the potential effect that message board posts may have on recruits - so I am unsure why you responded as such. When a 16/17 year old kid chooses or is about to choose a school to play college football for - I consider it classless to focus the discussion on his negative attributes (in the case of this thread - his Star Levels and offer list) in a flippant way. You are entitled to feel the opposite - and I am entitled to comment on it.

Further - your "bury your head in the sand" comment is such a fvking overused cliche it's sickening. A reasonable person would understand that there are monetary, historic, cultural, political and media driven challenges that RU faces when it comes to it's sports programs. All of that didn't change instantly when RU initially entered the Big East....and all of that won't magically change with the announcement, lead-in and play for first year in the Big Ten. RU has risen to P5 relevance in Football just in the past 10 years and in any progression there will be high points and low points. To quote 4Real in this thread......."the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments before the fact, in my opinion, is a waste of energy and a distraction from the more enjoyable moments."

He looks strong and he sounded smart and well composed at his commitment ceremony. I think he could turn into a leader. He doesn't have the athletic ability of a JG you only have to look at the way the 2 are built to see that, but JG also was always nervous in front of the camera. If Tennessee can fix that then they'll have a nice QB. I like that we probably have a QB that's further a long in that department.

Wanting better doesnt have to mean denigrating what you have. Pointing out a kid's 2 stars and adding them together and pointing out a kid's lack of offers (cured ) on the day he chooses Rutgers is putting the kid down whether you choose to believe it or not. It shows lack of class. Hiding behind the excuse that an anonymous message board is not read by recruits or is meaningless does not make these actions any more classy nor acceptable. You are free to do what you want and we are free to react to what you do on this board and call you out when you are being a jackass.

Agree...no need to point out his lack of offers or amount of stars he is currently receiving.

I like what I read about Russo. Seems like a smart kid. Made the connection between Rutgers & the Pats offenses. Guarantino overlooked that. We don't need. Winston or Mariota to win in the B1G, just a solid smart performer a good OL and defense.

You're in this thread.

In my opinion, your opinion is largely on the money.

At the end of the day, you have to respect the job Flood is doing this year in terms of recruiting. We may not be getting the 4/5 stars yet, but he seems to be engaged to most of the highly ranked kids. JG just didn't want to come here and Haskins went to play for his home state, you kinda wish NJ kids had that sort of sentiment.

To me it just seems like the attitude of NJ and I don't just mean the athletes. I live in North Jersey and my son is in high-school and most of the kids in the school view RU as a safety school, just a few has RU as their top choice. I believe this perception carries over to the athletes, until we change that perception, the 4/5 stars are going to Mich, Ohio St., Notre Dame, Penn St......., the way to change that is by winning, improving facilities,......and how do you win by not getting the highly recruited players? I think this is Flood's make or break year, if he has a good year in the BIG, he will have a good class. He has a tough hill with a new QB and lots of starters to replace but has some good returning players. I say let's bring in kids from out of state that want to play here, let's go back and recruit FL and now that we are in the BIG, Midwest, I'm sure kids would want to come play in NYC! It will happen, Schiano has started the process, we lost momentum when he left but either Flood picks it up this year or changes will be made, I am one that is hoping we have a great year!

ADVERTISEMENT