ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone els cut the ESPN cord?

as soon as we got into the B10 I dropped ESPiN and have never looked back as for Fox watched them a few times but Big Ten Network (BTN) is all I need no MLB or pro BB just Big Ten/RUTGERS news

Last edited:
ESPN gets very very little of my eyeball time. The two sports that I am most interested in, football and futbol, are found elsewhere. I do, however, visit their website, as it is still has more content than the other major sports news aggregators.

Barely watching, big test will be when football season starts

I watch the ESPN watch App a ton during football season. Any and all ESPN televised/on line football games can be seen on replay for about a month on this APP (approx 8 platforms), not to mention the ton of live games from Thurs to Sunday morning (East Coast Time). It's worth it to put up with their other nonsense, imo, to watch a ton of games. By the way , this App is free, of course w a subscription to a cable provider (mine is Optimum).

I literally watch about 12 games a week on this App, not to mention live High School games, and Sunday Pro games, and thats missing a lot

Altogether about 12 College games +1 or 2 high school games + 4 Pro games= Approx 18 games week.

FOX Sports is great.

Keith Olbermann was all that ESPN had, and they fired him again.

I haven't put ESPN on since the CFB championship game. Don't care about the NBA, or MLB regular season, and SportsCenter is the most biased sports show that doesn't cover the sports I like as much. So FS1 is pretty much my go-to channel now, and NBC Sports isn't bad either but a lot of fishing shows lol. Kinda forgot ESPN exists.

Nothing besides live football or Lacrosse games on tv. They have a inter webz site:zzz:

Would like to because I don't watch other than football season. So there in lies the problem. How do I get rid of ESPIN and reduce the football game content I long for? It's tough because I don't watch any of their shows or sports programming. Watch Nets, Knicks and Yanks on their channels. Any suggestions out there?

Victor

I haven't watched anything on ESPN, except for live college fb games, in about 5 years. And for the guy who likes Keith Olbermann, I just don't get it. The guy is paid to be an opinionated a-hole and create controversy. I turned off any channel he was on.

About ten years ago, I was fully capable of watching Sportscenter back-to-back-to-back if I was bored and didn't have anything to do. I would go online to visit their website multiple times a day. Now, I haven't watched ESPN in several years and only go to their website about once every three weeks (usually to look up information).

I cant take their b.s anymore, I just cant. Its just pure unadulterated pot stirring and agenda forcing now. Sportscenter isnt Sportscenter anymore. That network died with Stuart Scott may he rest in peace. I only watch it for actual sports broadcasts that I can't find anywhere else. Oh, and Olberman could go practice cartwheels on a busy expressway

I primarily watch BTN. MLB network for baseball news, NFL network for football news. Nba network for NBA news.

can't wait till tv goes al la carte.. BTN and all fox affiliates .. no espin($EC) promotion.. id rather watch PAC games than $EC games.. if the PAC jumps with the BTN as fox affiliates.. no more espin come al la carte time...

the sec is only popular in the redneck areas of the south.. good luck nation wide if the PAC and B1G team up with fox

It amazes me how much ESPN I used to watch ten years ago. Now I only watch it during football season. ESPN will always air big games thus be entertaining to me. Plus I still love Gameday but I watch it with a filter in one hand and a bullshit meter in the other.

If we go to an a la carte world with cable TV, ESPN is going to need 1/4 of the population to pony up about $30 a month, every month, just to make the revenue they do now.

I have felt that is a big problem because 1/4 of the population isn't big sports fans, and HBO's model has shown us that people will add/drop that channel month to month based on whether new programming like GOT is being shown.

A lot of people in this thread seem to match my opinion of ESPN. I would end up getting a subscription to ESPN for Sept-Jan, but there is no chance I would pay them anything for the rest of the year.

Reactions: satnom
That's simply not true. SEC games consistently get the best national TV ratings. I don't like it any more than you do, but your sweeping generalization isn't accurate.
we'll just have to disagree because outside of people i know on the soundoff board.. i don't know anyone who watches sec games

That's simply not true. SEC games consistently get the best national TV ratings. I don't like it any more than you do, but your sweeping generalization isn't accurate.

Yeah...there's a good reason why SEC Primetime Games on ESPN/ESPN2 draw so well (let alone CBS National SEC Game on Saturday afternoons).

Most people in the USA did not go to a P5 school (or for many, any university) but plenty of people want to watch good football, many times exciting football played in front of packed houses with great tradition.

Just like many in the West and South watch big time Big Ten games too.

Reactions: Local Shill
I cut ESPN and cable in general as well. For me personally, there are so many things to do and so many interesting topics to learn about. TV just was too much dead time for me so I cut it out of my life and haven't looked back!

I also work out much more than I used to as well which is another benefit besides the moneyyyy!

Outside of games I don't really watch ESPN. Crap like Numbers Never Lie and FirstTake drive me nuts but even SportsCenter is terrible anymore because it's not about highlights at all.

Outside of live programming, I watch no ESPN broadcasts. It's all Fox Sports, including their website. It's quite liberating. I highly suggest it.

Did that about a year and a half ago. Took them off my remote's favorites. I now watch a lot of NFL and MLB net. Btw, can anyone explain why the NBA needs its own net when there's ESPN ?

Outside of games I don't really watch ESPN. Crap like Numbers Never Lie and FirstTake drive me nuts but even SportsCenter is terrible anymore because it's not about highlights at all.

Since youngsters weren't around at the start and/or glory days of SportsCenter...SportsCenter was the place most had to turn in to find out results of games...before the internet...before the constant ESPN scroll, etc...as SportsCenter was the only place (SI also had a show on CNN that not many watched) to find out who won all the games and/or in-game updates.

There wasn't ESPNews...so fans turned in at 11 pm every night...(or even in AM, as you could watch SportsCenter in the AM and still not know who won games the night before...especially from all over the country).

I only stumble across SportsCenter occassionally and while highlights are still shown...with cell phones/twitter/internet...almost everyone already knows who won games and/or even up to the minute in game updates...but I think more time (especially for NFL coverage) has more to do with player/team info (which most can't get enough of) vs just straight highlights.

Outside of live programming, I watch no ESPN broadcasts. It's all Fox Sports, including their website. It's quite liberating. I highly suggest it.
espn is a joke---I'm sure there first top ten in college football will have at least 6 sec teams in it...only watch espn if necessary--I will go to fox sports-nfl-mlb-or any other sport channels first....also I do not live in jersey any more but when there I will not listen to Mike Francesca on the fan----(arrogant sob)--

completely dropped them...and don't miss it at all.

They are boring and repetitive and I can get my sports news in a lot of different places.

"I haven't watched anything on ESPN, except for live college fb games, in about 5 years."

This pretty much sums up my viewing pattern. And while I'm watching a live college game, I have the remote in my hand and regularly switch among the various ESPN stations, along with Fox, CBS college sports, CBS, ABC,and, of course, the BTN, depending upon what is happening in each game, and whether or not I care about the teams involved.

I haven't watched any of ESPiN's talking heads for several years. They were reducing my love of college sports so I just stopped watching them.

ADVERTISEMENT