ADVERTISEMENT

APP: Rutgers, Greg Schiano not taking Indiana lightly as Scarlet Knights hope for 6th win

If Indiana beats us, they have 3 other games on their remaining schedule that are winnable. So there is still a path for them to get to 6 wins. They will come with everything they've got.

If Indiana beats us, they have 3 other games on their remaining schedule that are winnable. So there is still a path for them to get to 6 wins. They will come with everything they've got.
Yup And so will we.

How could RU take any B1G team lightly after being one of the worst teams in the B1G since our 2nd year in the conference? Hint: we won't and should beat Indiana, but there are no guarantees in CFB - just ask MSU.
This. There is ZERO chance we are "taking them lightly." NONE. Not this team, this year, following the recent past and with this incredibly veteran coaching staff, IMHO.

How could RU take any B1G team lightly after being one of the worst teams in the B1G since our 2nd year in the conference? Hint: we won't and should beat Indiana, but there are no guarantees in CFB - just ask MSU.
We must focus !!!! Last Saturday’s game is history.
We will win our first road game this year!!!!!!

I feel this is in itself taking Indy lightly. But I do agree with the overall sentiment.

Reactions: scarletbergen
I think it's winnable. I don't think this team has been consistent enough this season that it should beat anybody in the Big Ten. OTOH, I think there's both coaching and playing talent enough to win a couple more games this season.

But it's could win. Not should win. Because the other teams have talent too.

We didn't take Temple or Wagner lightly. We didn't take VaTech or NWU lightly, we didn't take Wisc, MST or Mich lightly. We aren't going into Indiana and suddenly take a team lightly.
That said- Maybe only Wagner and Temple are worse than Indiana on our schedule. I am sort of expecting something similar to the VaTech score

I think it's winnable. I don't think this team has been consistent enough this season that it should beat anybody in the Big Ten. OTOH, I think there's both coaching and playing talent enough to win a couple more games this season.

But it's could win. Not should win. Because the other teams have talent too.
"Should" indicates there is some doubt. I think it is a "should" situation.. but having pulled out a tough game at home, I do not know that "should" we get into anywhere near that same situation, that we will react as strongly as we "should" as early as we "should".

Then again, I would have yanked both GW and OT Sutton (merely because he looked in pain in trying to get to an outside rusher who got a sack). Don't know win if I got my wish.

I do think if we get a lead early (meaning if we get a lead we will keep it) or are within 1 score in the 4th we "should" win.

We didn't take Temple or Wagner lightly. We didn't take VaTech or NWU lightly, we didn't take Wisc, MST or Mich lightly. We aren't going into Indiana and suddenly take a team lightly.
That said- Maybe only Wagner and Temple are worse than Indiana on our schedule. I am sort of expecting something similar to the VaTech score
That's the point of the 1-game "seasons"... but c'mon... the players are human beings. This kind of thing.. the "trap game".. wouldn't be a term anyone recognizes if it weren't so commonly seen in the wild.

Lightly isn’t the right word. We have been notably sloppier away from home though except for Michigan State which was a combination of the elements and the refs.

Talent wise it’s a pretty close matchup overall
I think the talent gap between our OL and their DL is narrower than the gap between their OL and our DL. It’s understandable that our fans get frustrated with our safe, vanilla play calling. I see this one as a game where our disciplined style could come in handy. Win the game in the trenches. Nothing fancy.

As of a matter of fact.....as crazy as it sounds.....THIS is the game I finally expect to see a trick play or two. THIS is the game you DO NOT hold anything whatsoever back, again, IMHO.
ya mean like the one Michigan had to use against us?

Talent wise it’s a pretty close matchup overall
QB- GW is actually better than their guys up to this point. Their guys may have a better completion % but when you add in running- almost the same amount of yards and more TD less Int.
RB - not in the same ball park
WR- about equal - do notice that their RB is the leader in receptions though. Need to watch that.
TE- we also have the Advantage there.
OL - half the number of sacks given up and a 4.4 vs 3.1 rushing average- we have the nod at OL

Defense- we have more sacks but they have one more INT. Though we have a ton more pass defended and fumbles created and recovered.

Their FG kicker does have us though

Need someone to explain to me how it is a close matchup?

GUYS/GIRLS - YES, they can beat us. And we tend to have a WTF game at the worst time

But please, stop saying they are tough and or it is an even matchup. 4 OT against Akron- even Temple beat Akron.
If we lose- it isn't because it was a close matchup. We lose, it is because they play the best game of their season and we play our wose.

Reactions: thegock
QB- GW is actually better than their guys up to this point. Their guys may have a better completion % but when you add in running- almost the same amount of yards and more TD less Int.
WR- about equal - do notice that their RB is the leader in receptions though. Need to watch that.
OL - half the number of sacks given up and a 4.4 vs 3.1 rushing average- we have the nod at OL

Defense- we have more sacks but they have one more INT. Though we have a ton more pass defended and fumbles created and recovered.

GUYS/GIRLS - YES, they can beat us. And we tend to have a WTF game at the worst time

But please, stop saying they are tough and or it is an even matchup. 4 OT against Akron- even Temple beat Akron.
If we lose- it isn't because it was a close matchup. We lose, it is because they play the best game of their season and we play our wose.
Agree, this should be a cakewalk against a team that was taken to 4 OTs by 1-6 Akron, whose only win is by 3 points to Morgan State and is arguably the worst FBS program. Not winning this game would be right up there with the loss to New Hampshire under the first Schiano regime.

Agree, this should be a cakewalk against a team that was taken to 4 OTs by 1-6 Akron, whose only win is by 3 points to Morgan State and is arguably the worst FBS program. Not winning this game would be right up there with the loss to New Hampshire under the first Schiano regime.
Maybe not quite there...lol

Ok KS - now I see where your coming from. This crap!

No - it would not be like losing to an FCS school at home. By the way, going by your standard here, every team in the B12 other than Oklahoma and Texas must have a loss as bad as New Hampshire. Beating Akron in overtime sure beats actually losing to Texas State, South Alabama, or Ohio. Does that mean a road loss to a team with a loss like this belongs in the NH category? Surely you wouldn’t suggest as much for Kansas. It was one game dude. On another one day, Indiana held OSU to 23 points and came close to tying UofL at the buzzer. We’re better than them, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t good enough to have a good day at home and take us down.

Ok KS - now I see where your coming from. This crap!

No - it would not be like losing to an FCS school at home. By the way, going by your standard here, every team in the B12 other than Oklahoma and Texas must have a loss as bad as New Hampshire. Beating Akron in overtime sure beats actually losing to Texas State, South Alabama, or Ohio. Does that mean a road loss to a team with a loss like this belongs in the NH category? Surely you wouldn’t suggest as much for Kansas. It was one game dude. On another one day, Indiana held OSU to 23 points and came close to tying UofL at the buzzer. We’re better than them, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t good enough to have a good day at home and take us down.
Agreed.

Listen to GS's press conference for the game and you realize that Indiana has some good coaches and talented players. They can compete. And sometimes, a specific match-up can create problems for the theoretically "better" team.

If RU comes out and plays a complete game, no turnovers, few mistakes, then I like our chances. We're obviously improved.

But we still have a long way to go. We nearly lost to MSU and can easily lose this game. Just makes the game more exciting, IMO.

Agreed.

Listen to GS's press conference for the game and you realize that Indiana has some good coaches and talented players. They can compete. And sometimes, a specific match-up can create problems for the theoretically "better" team.

If RU comes out and plays a complete game, no turnovers, few mistakes, then I like our chances. We're obviously improved.

But we still have a long way to go. We nearly lost to MSU and can easily lose this game. Just makes the game more exciting, IMO.
Michigan State is a better team overall than Indiana. Indiana is probably better coached though.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Michigan State is a better team overall than Indiana. Indiana is probably better coached though.
VaTech is most likely better too and "maybe" NWU...I would have said they were better but I am not sure their game against Howard is better or worse than Indiana's against Akron.

you should be able to start your punter at QB if you are a P5 team playing Howard...
Oh I agree. I’m just pointing out that the replacement QB only managed 131 yards in the air. Bryant had 400 passing yards against Minny, 163 against Duke, and 189 against us. So, yeah, in their case, it’s fair to say they missed their starter.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

Good teams don’t have WTF games.

Historically we, meaning Schiano defenses, have been vulnerable to RB flairs and wheel routes... screens are 50-50.. naked screens more of an issue. I think it has to do with assignment D and stunts.. running razor-thin on covering every possibility in order to stunt/blitz.. which is what you need to do to beat superior OL blocking schemes.

We'd need ball-hawk safeties who don't double deep routes as often to be free to cover LB's guys they don't keep up with.. RBs and TEs. That, of course, makes us susceptible to single-cover WRs going deep.

Of course, this D is not quite Schiano's D. Notice the DL never shifts pre-snap.. that was as staple of the Schiano D. Hmm.. I wonder if that's because we have bigger DL than the GS1.0 years.. they were smaller and nimble and had to make it harder to get clean blocks on them given the size differential they often faced.

As of a matter of fact.....as crazy as it sounds.....THIS is the game I finally expect to see a trick play or two. THIS is the game you DO NOT hold anything whatsoever back, again, IMHO.
Always thought the best "mindset" when Rutgers plays an opponent is to subtract 7 points off of RU's total and play the offense as though that really were the case.

So at the start, come out and call your plays like you were trailing 7-0. If you are ahead 10-7, call your plays like you were down by four. I think that puts it into more of an "assertive" mode without being careless or overly-aggressive.

Last edited:
Always thought the best "mindset" when Rutgers plays an opponent is to subtract 7 points off of RU's total and play the offense as though that really were the case.

So at the start, come out and call your plays like you were trailing 7-0. If you are ahead 10-3, call your plays like you were down by four. I think that puts it into more of an "assertive" mode without being careless or overly-aggressive.
Hmm.. that would help with over-conservative playcalling as well.

Saw some game recently.. perhaps NFl.. where some team wouldn't go for it on 4th and 1 late down two scores but the very next possession went for it on 4th and 5 in the same exact position on field and scoreboard. Just bizarre... perhaps they realized they were too conservative last time?

I think the lack of aggressiveness really hurts us. Players want to PLAY.. not sit there and work clock. The D is happy to get more breathing space. I think it works against us more than it works clock FOR us. The O also doesn't want to keep running it up the gut when it fails... though, clearly, late against MSU, that changed. They'd be happy to see KM get another handoff the way he was ripping them up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT