ADVERTISEMENT

Ashnault an All-American

PIN2WIN624

Freshman
Oct 19, 2006
I know it was mentioned in other thread but I think this deserves its own thread. Redshirt freshman Anthony Ashnault is an all American. Let's see how high he can climb up that podium.

Great for the program...Great for RU. We certainly needed this and should appreciate his accomplishment.

The consolation bracket is pretty favorable for him. The 14 seed then unseeded frosh Jack. Let's keep the run going!

Great job by AA. Don't sleep on Jack though, he's had a great tourney with a lot of upsets. My boy James Green with another incredibly tough loss to undefeated freshman Martinez from IL. Looks like he will place 3rd again.

NICE!!!
Originally posted by PIN2WIN624:
I know it was mentioned in other thread but I think this deserves its own thread. Redshirt freshman Anthony Ashnault is an all American. Let's see how high he can climb up that podium.

It's great for RU to have an elite talent like Anthony Ashnault come to RU and be successful here, so others with equal talents might follow. Hope AA becomes a 4X AA ! He's off to a great start!

Congrats to Ashnault for this great achievement.

As someone who doesn't follow (or understand) this sport, what are the criteria for gaining AA status? Does one have to make it to the Final 4, Elite 8, or Sweet 16 of the NCAA national tournament or are there other requirements?

Thanks.

Originally posted by ecojew:
Congrats to Ashnault for this great achievement.

As someone who doesn't follow (or understand) this sport, what are the criteria for gaining AA status? Does one have to make it to the Final 4, Elite 8, or Sweet 16 of the NCAA national tournament or are there other requirements?

Thanks.
Need to finish in the top 8.

Thanks, RU Loyal.

To finish in the top 8 nationally at your weight class really is quite an achievement.

NICE JOB!

Also appreciate this being on the front page of ScarletNation.

Originally posted by jeff86:
He's definitely got the talent to win a national title.
An interesting thing on Anthony's raw talent....during the NCAA finals, they mentioned that Logan Stieber scored bonus points in all but 4 matches this year. One of those was against Port, who made it to the final. By my recollection, 2 of those matches were against Ashnault.

Cabbage that is incorrect...but barely as the first match was a major by a 9-1 score....but to lose 5-1 in B1G tourney the way Steiber was wrestling was a huge accomplishment...I know Steiber had like 5 min riding time, but couldn't turn Ash...

Steiber's non-bonus points (pre-tourney):

18. Logan Stieber Dec Nick Lawrence (Purdue) 4-0 18-0
19. Logan Stieber Dec Nick Dardanes (Minnesota) 10-9 19-0
20. Logan Stieber Dec Mitchell Port (Edinboro) 6-3 20-0
23. Logan Stieber Dec Anthony Ashnault (Rutgers) 5-1 23-0
Steiber's random sample of bonus points (lots of top guys):

9. Logan Stieber Maj Anthony Ashnault (Rutgers) 9-1 9-0
10. Logan Stieber Maj Devin Carter (Virginia Tech) 12-3 10-0
12. Logan Stieber Tech Josh Dziewa (Iowa) 15-0 12-0
21. Logan Stieber Fall Randy Cruz (Lehigh) 4:52 21-0
24. Logan Stieber Tech Josh Dziewa (Iowa) 16-1 24-0

and Dwieza just didn't match up at al with Steiber as both techs came very early in second period

ADVERTISEMENT