ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon Big Ten preview magazine with RU & Maryland on the cover

May 11, 2010
Florida Panhandle
Where can I buy a copy?

A few local newsstands in North Jersey have the edition with Hackenburg on the cover.

I will NOT buy it with a State Penn player on the cover.

I know there is another edition with Carroo and a Maryland player on the cover.

Anyone seen it for sale anywhere yet?

I think I saw it at Shop Rite or Stop n shop in the Somerset area. I can't remember which.

v61_Maryland-Rutgers_2015.jpg

Which Barnes & Nobles?

Morris Plains store doesn't have any Big Ten preview.

NJ stores should carry the RU cover edition, not the state penn one.

They SHOULD carry what they think will sell. It's Rutgers' job to make that Rutgers, not Barnes and Noble's.

I still remember back in the late 1990s someone I know working in the Bridgewater Commons Champs. Customer comes in and notices Notre Dame, Carolina, whatever clothing, and asks why there isn't any Rutgers merchandise. He tells the customer that, quite frankly, the team stinks, has stunk, was no better than low mediocre before it stunk, nobody goes to the games and nobody who doesn't go to games cares. Customer says he hopes for better and hands his card.

It was Terry Shea.

Sadly, many people who don't follow sports don't think we're much better, and the only scores they saw were us against Top 25 teams -- and those were horrific.

Give it time. We WILL change this. But it takes more than a few International Bowl wins to make it happen.

They SHOULD carry what they think will sell. It's Rutgers' job to make that Rutgers, not Barnes and Noble's.

I call BS.

Do you really think Barnes and Nobles sits there and makes that decision? Rutgers covers or Penn State covers? Maybe the problem is Rutgers sharing a cover with Maryland. I can see North Jersey folk finding it off to see Maryland on the cover of anything.

Maybe this just makes sense for Athlon's distribution scheme.. but we have no idea which would sell more.. in New Jersey.

Stores get what they are sent by higher ups... who are SOLD by Athlon on what to stock. Athlon probably has distribution territories and you get what you get based on what the print... what numbers of which cover. And that is based on what Athlon thinks is in their best interests to produce. And they know they can sell X copies of a PSU cover in Pennsylvania and surrounding areas... but don't pretend it has anything to do with people in New Jersey preferring a PSU cover.

For years and years there was pent-up demand for Rutgers branded products mainly because there was a lack of them out there to purchase. We bought the bloc R stuff and the Jerseys BEFORE Schaino started winning. Now we have a lot more choice.

I say you all do what the OP did.. eschew the PSU cover Athlon. Don't buy it. Maybe Athlon will get the message that it is time to treat all of New Jersey as Rutgers territory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT