ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Williams

Who said anything about boring.
Rarely do strong teams look like they’re playing street ball with players they’ve never played with before.

I don't think RU played a bad game, they needed to make chippies, which means very little to me in the grand scheme. They showed they could play up tempo at times and need to make better decisions in transition....but that is to be expected.

It's the segment of the fanbase talking about doghouse and not understanding the game or opponent. There's nothing worse than being limited to playing one style of basketball (2022-2023) and hoping your opponent misses shots in order to have a chance win games. Somehow that gets credited to RU playing good defense....but as last year moved into February, teams figured out what RU couldn't do on offense and if you can't create offense in transition, you have no chance to win consistently.

I will provide a friendly reminder that RU imploded with no chance to win a slower paced game at PSU, until Simpson came into the game and generated offense off the dribble......BUT to erase a 20+ point deficit at PSU, required PSU to shoot something like 1 for 17 down the stretch in the 2nd half. That game was ugly and painful to watch for extended stretches, as was Michigan and NW at home. That boring, limited brand of basketball, can't be repeated or the standard because people believe it means RU somehow plays better defense by slowing the tempo.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
It's interesting, the stats from Mondays game were pretty even between the teams with one exception: threes. Total baskets, overall shooting pct, rebounds, steals, fouls, free throws all fairly equal. Where they cooked us was beyond the arc. Princeton was 9 of 20 and RU 4-14. Those 5 extra 3 pointers is a 15 point edge to Princeton. Hit a couple more of our threes and tighten up our perimeter defense and we win.

it means RU somehow plays better defense by slowing the tempo.
I think it does. Players have a finite amount of energy AND usually starters are better than a bench. I am under the belief more energy is expended on the defensive end PLUS a little bit gets saved not having to run up and own the court an extra 8 times

This year is a throw away year. Its all about prepping guys for next year.

Many dont wanna hear this but its the truth
I agree. Too many new parts. A few holes in important spots. It’s also going to take time for the to gel. I don’t think this is a bad team, but I don’t get why everyone took so much offense when we were projected to finish 10th in the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT