ADVERTISEMENT

B1G preseason media poll is out

Many times, preseason predictions depend on location of big conf games (home or away) and the 2 teams you play from the other division.

Indiana is fortunate as they play 2 of the worst teams from the West (Iowa and Purdue).

Maryland gets Iowa and Wisconsin while RU obviously has Wisconsin and Nebraska (pre-season #1 and #2 from the West).

West is predicted to be more wide-open with 3 teams receiving 1st place votes while OSU is predicted to steamroll the East and win the Big Ten and play for another national title in the Final 4.

Here's what I find amusing. Many say that the preseason predictions are always based on what happened the previous season. Well, picking OSU to win it again certainly supports that theory and MSU as a clear #2 but when it comes to a team with a decidedly less stellar pedigree (ie Rutgers) all bets are off.
Those of you who remember how we were perceived last year ,at this time, may well remember that some picked us to go without a single win in conference. Much less a winning record including a bowl win.
But, teams with "stain" are not subject to this treatment which is clearly shown in the current predictions.
Take a look at the three schools just above RU in the Eastern Division:
#3- PSU that had a conference record of just 2-6 last year garners a 186.5 score and they had to rally to beat us last year.
#4- Michigan (which is certainly an iconic program) has clearly been elevated back towards its rightful place with a 163.5 score even though we beat them and they had the same conference record as us at 3-5. Goes to show what happens when you hire a big name coach.
#5- Maryland is also being show BIG disrespect here (95.5) but not as much as us since they had the best conference record at 4-4 and we beat them too!

As the article states: These predictions may not mean much at all and it has been wrong all four years at correctly picking the league's champion. Rutgers has a long, difficult road ahead to make believers out of just about anyone outside its fan base that the program can win here.

We lost our QB, most of our OL and one of the most respected OCs in the country. Of course we're not predicted to do well. It has very little to do with disrespect and a lot to do with playing the percentages. Not many teams have the turnover we have had and come back with a similar or better year, and Rutgers certainly doesn't have the sort of history that would give an outsider confidence that we will do so this year.

We lost our QB, most of our OL and one of the most respected OCs in the country. Of course we're not predicted to do well. It has very little to do with disrespect and a lot to do with playing the percentages. Not many teams have the turnover we have had and come back with a similar or better year, and Rutgers certainly doesn't have the sort of history that would give an outsider confidence that we will do so this year.
Seriously - would 2-6 instead of 3-5 in conference be THAT radical of a prediction.

But at the same time - there is a little disrespect here. Maryland lost a good deal, and wasnt better than RU. PSU and Michigan were by all standards worse. Cerrtainly it wouldnt be a big deal to predict them ahead of RU, but at the same time - really RU, MD, UM, and PSU should be in a tight group - well behind OSU and MSU, and well ahead of Indiana.

i think this is good for player motivation. historically, we've done much better when we're predicted to do poorly vs. well.

remember those couple of years after 2006 when we were the darling picks?

ugh.

just go out there, play hard, and win.

I'd rather be far back. Lets surprise em. we don't do well when we have high expectations. Just see the 2007 season, where we wound up in the Toronto Bowl, when we probably should have done so much more. Thats the year the school did a Heisman campaign for Ray Rice.

We went 3-5 in Conference last year with Nova, who Fridge wouldn't pull after multiple interceptions in games, 5 in the Penn State game alone. Both are gone.

What does that say about the back ups? Right now, none of the current QBs have distanced themselves. Throw in what we need to replace on the O-Line.

No one will give us the benefit of the doubt. Nor should they. The big boys throttled us. We escaped on the 3 wins.

Ignore it and tune in. 38 days to go before CFB starts

For the 2nd year in a row RU has the toughest schedule in the B1G. 3+ year starting QB, Nova is gone. There were the 4 ugly losses. I'm pretty sure that's what the writers are thinking. I'm a bit surprised that Maryland is predicted higher but this is pretty much where I'd expect to see RU.

On the bright side it's one place higher than last year's poll lol. I think the only thing for sure is OSU will win the conference. Other than that they have no more idea than any of us.

RU will be one of least experienced teams in the B1G this year. Add breaking in a new QB, with some new parts on the OL and there is reason for some concern. They are in one of the toughest divisions in college football. The more winnable conference games are on the road, the home conference games are brutal and they will potentially be favored only over MD in conference. All of this doesn't mean the team is heading for a tough year but there is a reason people are skeptical going into the year. To me the home games against WSU and MD and the @ Indiana game are absolutely essential to win if the team wants to get to a bowl. They are not on the same level with OSU, MSU, Wisc. The game at PSU and home against Neb are more possible for an upset but not likely. Forget winning at Michigan this year, they will be a different team. It doesn't leave much room for error to get to 6 wins.

RU will be one of least experienced teams in the B1G this year. Add breaking in a new QB, with some new parts on the OL and there is reason for some concern. They are in one of the toughest divisions in college football. The more winnable conference games are on the road, the home conference games are brutal and they will potentially be favored only over MD in conference. All of this doesn't mean the team is heading for a tough year but there is a reason people are skeptical going into the year. To me the home games against WSU and MD and the @ Indiana game are absolutely essential to win if the team wants to get to a bowl. They are not on the same level with OSU, MSU, Wisc. The game at PSU and home against Neb are more possible for an upset but not likely. Forget winning at Michigan this year, they will be a different team. It doesn't leave much room for error to get to 6 wins.

You realize Michigan also lost their starting QB, a couple of OL, and their best WR by far. They also lost 2 or 3 of their top defensive players. Different doesn't always mean better.

I believe PSU will likely finish ahead of RU not because they'll be much better but because of the difference in who each plays from the West Division.

Most of this I agree with... PSU will likely be improved from last year, we may be a bit worse. The one thing I don't understand is Maryland, didn't they lose just about everyone???

I understand the rankings, looking at the facts it makes sense.

But... I did we will once again do better than expected and make another bowl game.

At least I hope anyway... can't wait to see what happens!

Rutgers was the only B1G teams to lose everyone while the rest of the league returns all starters.[cheers] It goes to show you that most in the media is clueless. Outside of knowing a few stars from other teams they have no way of judging all B1G teams. I'm willing to bet the media base their decisions on those few players and perception.

Rutgers was the only B1G teams to lose everyone while the rest of the league returns all starters.[cheers] It goes to show you that most in the media is clueless. Outside of knowing a few stars from other teams they have no way of judging all B1G teams. I'm willing to bet the media base their decisions on those few players and perception.

I may be mistaken, but I think RU returns less starters than every other team and lost a senior QB with no one else on the roster having any significant experience. I don't really think we'll be worse than MD this year, but picking us to lose an additional conference game isn't some huge, unimaginable slight. Being a perpetually aggrieved fan-base gets to be tiresome.

Reactions: bac2therac
I may be mistaken, but I think RU returns less starters than every other team and lost a senior QB with no one else on the roster having any significant experience. I don't really think we'll be worse than MD this year, but picking us to lose an additional conference game isn't some huge, unimaginable slight. Being a perpetually aggrieved fan-base gets to be tiresome.

I think many people are so enamored with the name Harbaugh they forget he doesn't suit up on Saturdays. Yes he's a very successful coach and probably will do very good things at Michigan, just not this year. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it.

Punch them in the mouth, take their lunch money. The deck is stacked against us, but that doesnt mean we cant draw a flush.

I don't think Ohio State is going to be the B1G conference champions. How can they be after Rutgers beats them? (Trap game)

Last edited:

RU returns less starters than everyone else is a lie and I wonder who is promoting that lie? Maryland has to replace a ton. On offense the QB, both WR, RB and 3 OL are gone. On defense they replace 6 of the front 7 and 1 in the secondary. Has Maryland really out coached and out recruited Rutgers to be head of them?

Michigan has to replace their QB with one who transferred from Iowa. That Iowa QB lost his job last year early in the season and that's why he transferred. Not what I call a stud stepping to hold the fort. WR is any issue as the starters are gone. The OL was suppose to return all 5, but off season problems may change that. UM could end up replacing a few. The defense loss 2 on of the front 4. It part of the reason they are switching to more of a 3/4. I'm sure UM will have no problem adjusting.

I would talk about PSU, but I don't want the thread stolen by some trolls.

Nebraska is getting by on name right now. New HC who is trying to make their QB (a runner) into a drop back passer. Their run game was off the charts, but without RB Abdullah making a bad OL look good they could be in trouble. I suspect the 2 new RB will be OK. Top 2 WR are gone. One defense they best player is gone (NFL-Dallas) and they are crying about their lack of LB because they keep leaving. They have to dust off some LB who weren't expect to ever see the field anytime soon.

Everyone has questions. Some are bigger than Rutgers, but you know this world runs on perception.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
This is funny,

They also came out with the Offensive Player of the Year voting. ***There are 60 voters (who knows how many from the state of Ohio!)

OSU has 5 of the 8 top vote getters. (Elliott, C Jones, JT Barrett, OSU QB's in their own category, and Braxton Miller as WR!!! He is already better than Carroo.)

Sneaking in at 6th with the entire OSU team is a QB that last year had 8TD's and 15 INT's in 12 starts. Odd.

G Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A Y/G TD Int Long Sack YdsL QBRat
Christian Hackenberg 12 236 434 54.4 2606 6.0 217.2 8 15 79 42 263 104.0

"We lost our quarterback" seems to be one of the big reasons we are, once again, being dissed in the preseason polls. I liked Nova, but I seem to recall us being picked to finish last in 2014 in large part because Nova was the quarterback (inconsistent, too many turnovers, blah, blah, blah). Now all of sudden his loss will be devastating.

Reading some of the polls, you'd think Rutgers was going to be playing this year without a quarterback. We'll only have 10 guys on offense apparently -- let alone a 3 or 4 star recruit behind center.

As the great Mark May once said, "It's Rutgers coach. It's Rutgers". The "experts" will ALWAYS come up with reasons to poo-poo the football teams chances of having a successful season.

You realize Michigan also lost their starting QB, a couple of OL, and their best WR by far. They also lost 2 or 3 of their top defensive players. Different doesn't always mean better.

I believe PSU will likely finish ahead of RU not because they'll be much better but because of the difference in who each plays from the West Division.

Phil Steele broke down "projected" depth for all 128 Div I-A Teams.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JUNE15/DBJune15.html

Michigan was ranked #1 with most 2 deep depth.

RU is listed at #103 while Maryland is listed at #65

Of course, losing a Senior TE that wasn't used much probably won't hurt as much as losing a 4th or 5th year multi-starting QB...so that numbers could be skewed as importance...but it does a good job showing "projected" 1st and 2nd team depth based on 4th/5th year Seniors, 3rd/4th Year Juniors, 2nd/3rd Year Soph, 1st/2nd Year Freshmen.

Steele really does his research, much more than most.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Phil Steele broke down "projected" depth for all 128 Div I-A Teams.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JUNE15/DBJune15.html

Michigan was ranked #1 with most 2 deep depth.

RU is listed at #103 while Maryland is listed at #65

Of course, losing a Senior TE that wasn't used much probably won't hurt as much as losing a 4th or 5th year multi-starting QB...so that numbers could be skewed as importance...but it does a good job showing "projected" 1st and 2nd team depth based on 4th/5th year Seniors, 3rd/4th Year Juniors, 2nd/3rd Year Soph, 1st/2nd Year Freshmen.

Steele really does his research, much more than most.

That same projections by Steele discounts players like Turay because he wasn't a returning starter. We all his impact is far greater than some of the returning DE starters. Somehow it gets lost in the crunch of numbers that used to project success. I'll go a step further while dealing with perception. Nova was one of the most experience returning QB in the nation last year, but every publication discredit him because of his struggles and rightful so. Now, how come players like Hackenberg or UM new QB Rudock don't receive the same treatment? Hackenberg is experiencing that exact same situation Nova went through meaning a bad OL lead to a lot of his problems. Rudock lost his job forcing him to transfer. Now is he suppose to be much better because he's with Michigan now? He's no Luck and Harbaugh will find out soon.

Jake Rudock
PASSING STATS
YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
2013. IOWA 204 346 59.0 2383 6.9 18 85 13 126.5
2014 IOWA 213 345 61.7 2436 7.1 16 72 5 133.5

This is Michigan starting QB for 2015. He was the starter for Iowa the last 2 years and now is a transfer senior. He's a good QB. They need a QB to manage the game and reduce turnovers.

Last edited:
Jake Rudock
PASSING STATS

This is Michigan starting QB for 2015. He was the starter for Iowa the last 2 years and now is a transfer senior. He's a good QB. They need a QB to manage the game and reduce turnovers.

I'm going to tell you like all the Hawkeye fans told me. The numbers do not tell the story about this guy, he is not very good. He is incapable of throwing the ball more than 10 yards and is a very questionable decision maker on 3rd down. If you can't throw a deep ball or even a mid range ball you are not considered a good QB. Reports are that he hasnt even pulled away from the previous competition on the UM roster yet; so its news to me that hes announced as the confirmed starter. He may be able to manage the game, but that doesnt make you good. Nova was able to manage games as a true freshman.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Jake Rudock
PASSING STATS

His stats are solid, but some of it was stat padding about inferior teams. Against better teams Rudock was a poor game manager. Care to explain why a 2 yr starter transfers instead of playing his last year at the same school? He wasn't the difference maker who won games with his arm or mind and that's why the Iowa HC went with CJ Beathard. Statistically Nova was better than Rudock during the same period, but hey fact have no place on this board. Rudock has less experience around him at UM than what he would have at Iowa in a system he's knows. Rudock is with a new team, in new surroundings and has only 2 months to take it all in.

Reactions: Cincinnati Kid
I think you can't overlook the new coach factor. I don't care who the coach is, there's always and adjustment period. We have 3 opponents with new coaches: Nebraska, Wisconsin and Michigan. I don't think they are automatic losses.

Care to explain why a 2 yr starter transfers instead of playing his last year at the same school? ... Rudock is with a new team, in new surroundings and has only 2 months to take it all in.
I don't know anything about Rudock other than what I read in this thread. Good players have transfered for that final year before - Russell Wilson, for one. Maybe he thinks he has a better shot at the NFL with a season playing for a coach who was successful at the next level. Part of him might be looking at a graduate degree from Michigan instead of Iowa is a good career move for when he is no longer playing football.

I agree that jumping right into a new system with only two months to prepare is not a good situation, if that is the case.

Braxton Miller? I would not be voting for him as offensive player of the year. Sure he's a good athlete, but playing a new position and with Elliott as the stud ball carrier... Technically, only four OSU players are in the top eight, as voting for "OSU quarterbacks" is a cop out for voters that don't know who will be their starter.

Darius Hamilton received one 3rd place vote for defensive player of the year.

Given our relatively easy OOC, what is likely is that we edge into the Fort Worth Bowl even at 2-6 in conference. As for the rest - meh - its OSU and the 6 dwarfs at this point as far as the Big Ten East goes.

I'm going to tell you like all the Hawkeye fans told me. The numbers do not tell the story about this guy, he is not very good. He is incapable of throwing the ball more than 10 yards and is a very questionable decision maker on 3rd down. If you can't throw a deep ball or even a mid range ball you are not considered a good QB. Reports are that he hasnt even pulled away from the previous competition on the UM roster yet; so its news to me that hes announced as the confirmed starter. He may be able to manage the game, but that doesnt make you good. Nova was able to manage games as a true freshman.

And those same Iowa fans would note that while their OL was pretty good at run blocking, there were not good at pass protection. (Gave up 27 sacks)

Rudock did a very good job of protecting the ball/possession and avoiding the big mistake as he threw just 5 INT's on 345 passes as Rudock as he threw for 16 TD passes plus had 3 running.

Iowa did "ok" in converting 45% of 3rd downs (converted 61% of 4th downs). Rutgers last year converted just 36% of their 3rd downs.

A QB is only as good as their own and receivers (let alone running game too).

For the situation Harbaugh found himself at Michigan, landing an experienced QB like Rudock is a big gift, who might end up being the starter and/or a very experienced #2 (won't guarantee he will be successful in Jim's program).

His stats are solid, but some of it was stat padding about inferior teams. Against better teams Rudock was a poor game manager. Care to explain why a 2 yr starter transfers instead of playing his last year at the same school? He wasn't the difference maker who won games with his arm or mind and that's why the Iowa HC went with CJ Beathard. Statistically Nova was better than Rudock during the same period, but hey fact have no place on this board. Rudock has less experience around him at UM than what he would have at Iowa in a system he's knows. Rudock is with a new team, in new surroundings and has only 2 months to take it all in.
He has performed well without turning the ball over. If you are going to try to me his 15 TD with 5 interception is bad, you are crazy. He's not great but he's good. We have a QB that barely played last year 0 TD 1 INT and didn't do anything when he was on the field. The other one is about the same, forget the 4 stars, he was third string at LSU that transferred. Care to explain his transfer? I wish either one can get 15 TD and 5 INT this year. If Rudock doesn't perform, he has 3-4 4 star that might become the starter later in the year.

Nova was better than Rudock last year. Well, many thought that last year was Nova best year. I guess you think Nova stinks but I don't think these two that we have are going to be better than Nova. Without Nova,we don't beat Maryland and then we would have had a terrible year.

Last edited:
He has performed well without turning the ball over. If you are going to try to me his 15 TD with 5 interception is bad, you are crazy. He's not great but he's good. We have a QB that barely played last year 0 TD 1 INT and didn't do anything when he was on the field. The other one is about the same, forget the 4 stars, he was third string at LSU that transferred. Care to explain his transfer? I wish either one can get 15 TD and 5 INT this year. If Rudock doesn't perform, he has 3-4 4 star that might become the starter later in the year.

Nova was better than Rudock last year. Well, many thought that last year was Nova best year. I guess you think Nova stinks but I don't think these two that we have are going to be better than Nova. Without Nova,we don't beat Maryland and then we would have had a terrible year.

I just think Prescott received more hype than his abilities due to the fact he played in the SEC. I agree with you he is a solid QB, but not Heisman worthy. Plus, I just think the stats were misleading in those 3 games you picked. Those team had eased up off the gas and Prescott was able to take advantage of it by inflating his stats near the end of games.

Who said Rettig is going to be the starter for Rutgers? Since we're talking about his transfer, then you must not know the story. Rettig was a TRUE freshman when he decided to transfer. Rettig was recruited under the idea LSU would continue to run an offense that was close to a pro style. After arriving LSU went with the ever popular spread. Therefore, Rettig was a fish out of water in that offense. Every school Rettig looked into were pro style where his abilities were best served.

Nova had his best year last year and it was much better than Rudock. Also, Nova statistically was better than Rudock when you compare the multiple years they started. Nova had a higher ceiling than Rudock. Nova got into trouble when he thought his arm strength could help him make plays in tight situations. Rudock on the other hand can't make a pass beyond a dozen yards and has major trouble reading defenses. Rudock was slow in processing the game as it developed in front of him. He's nothing more than a game manager who can actually lose game for you because of brain lock at key moments. He was the reason the Iowa game against Northern Iowa was in doubt until the end. Do you care to explain why Rudock, who has started since his sophomore season decide to transfer for his senior season?

Do you really know why Michigan has so many QB behind him? UM will open camp with a total of 10 players listed as QB. Only 9 are eligible to play this year. If you read anything on UM this past spring you'll know why UM pushed to get Rudock as well as the QB transfer from U. of Houston. They don't have any quality QB on the roster. Shane Morris was a highly recruited player who was the starter last year until the head injury cost him the season. Morris played the entire spring game and produce the only TD of the game. The other QB combined for less than 50% completion rate in the game. Harbaugh called out all of the QB at the end of spring. Before it was known Rudock was transferring Harbaugh was expecting true frosh Zack Gentry to come in August and win the job. Mind you another true frosh (Alex Malzone) enrolled early with the hopes of win the job, but didn't come close. Since Rudock's arrival at UM he hasn't shown anything (leadership/mental toughness/grasp of the playbook) to WOW Harbaugh, so he could name him the starter before camp. Rudock is what he is, a guy who is average at best if surrounded by better talent.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
And those same Iowa fans would note that while their OL was pretty good at run blocking, there were not good at pass protection. (Gave up 27 sacks)

Rudock did a very good job of protecting the ball/possession and avoiding the big mistake as he threw just 5 INT's on 345 passes as Rudock as he threw for 16 TD passes plus had 3 running.

Iowa did "ok" in converting 45% of 3rd downs (converted 61% of 4th downs). Rutgers last year converted just 36% of their 3rd downs.

A QB is only as good as their own and receivers (let alone running game too).

For the situation Harbaugh found himself at Michigan, landing an experienced QB like Rudock is a big gift, who might end up being the starter and/or a very experienced #2 (won't guarantee he will be successful in Jim's program).

Well it seems we are talking to some two-faced Hawkeye fans. Because theyve all noted that many of the sacks that occurred were due to Rudock's habit of holding onto the ball too long due to his inability to read defenses quickly, his hesitation to throw over mid/deep coverage and his problems sensing pressure. Its easy to limit interceptions when you are hitting receivers on 5 yard curl routes the whole game. Also, comparing his 3rd down percentage to ours is pointless. He played a WAYY softer schedule than us and faced very soft defenses compared to what we saw last season. Like I said, the numbers do not tell the story with this guy. You could blame it on receivers or blame it on whoever. He's not that good, and he has not impressed anyone since showing up to practice.. He is just there to manage games if every other QB on their roster fails.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT