ADVERTISEMENT

Barnwell Academically Ineligible?

bscharf

Sophomore
Sep 11, 2014
Just heard Nadir is academically ineligible and won't be on the team... Waiting to hear it from more reliable sources. Anyone else hear about this?

Just heard Nadir is academically ineligible and won't be on the team... Waiting to hear it from more reliable sources. Anyone else hear about this?
If true, then our CB depth is awfully thin and Cioffi and Stephenson may need to play some CB. How does Barnwell get into this situation, he has been here for several semesters he knows what he needs to do.

Found it telling that rumors are against board rules but the round table thread on this subject has been permitted to grow for several days.

It's not a rumor and is currently being discussed at length on premium. Hopefully he can use this year as a redshirt year and get his grades in order (over the summer and this academic year) so that he can play his last two years. I wish him luck. It will be an uphill battle but doable if he keeps his nose to the grindstone.

If true, a little suprising it would happen to him at this point. He's going into his 3rd year at RU. Usually this stuff occurs earlier. It also really creates CB problems ...both for the starting lineup and depth (with the Daily situation).. Cioffi and Stephenson are going to have to move over to help out at CB and I know they wanted to play more at safety.

Well, since he can't be formally declared academically ineligible until after the 2nd summer session, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a transfer to ___________ (insert school here) in the near future. APR, you know.

Last word on this from yesterday's thread was he would have summer classes to regain eligibility. What did I miss here?

hard-life.gif

Well, since he can't be formally declared academically ineligible until after the 2nd summer session, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a transfer to ___________ (insert school here) in the near future. APR, you know.

That's why I can understand why so many are jumping to conclusions before anything can officially declared. He has to the end of the 2nd summer session to clear this up. Unless he's a total screw up, I can see him making it back once he takes care of business. And again who is leaking info since this is personal? Other students' info aren't available to the public like this. Not until the athletic dept. release this info it's remains private. I thought the leaks were sealed the athletic dept.

That's why I can understand why so many are jumping to conclusions before anything can officially declared. He has to the end of the 2nd summer session to clear this up. Unless he's a total screw up, I can see him making it back once he takes care of business. And again who is leaking info since this is personal? Other students' info aren't available to the public like this. Not until the athletic dept. release this info it's remains private. I thought the leaks were sealed the athletic dept.

Did you know the student athletes are in a college with thousands of students?

Some of those students are their friends. Yes, that's right... these students are normal people that associate with other people! And they tell their friends about their personal lives and about their team mates. People socialize.

And some of those friends are blabber mouths that spread the word. This happens everywhere.

Not everything is a conspiracy involving leaks by the athletic department.

Lets not expect the student athletes to behave as if they have top level government security clearance and keep everything quiet.

Last edited:
Did you know the student athletes are in a college with thousands of students?

Some of those students are their friends. Yes, that's right... these students are normal people that associate with other people! And they tell their friends about their personal lives and about their team mates. People socialize.

And some of those friends are blabber mouths that spread the word. This happens everywhere.

Not everything is a conspiracy involving leaks by the athletic department.

Lets not expect the student athletes to behave as if they have top level government security clearance and keep everything quiet.

Really. I know the situation, but the way it's spreading has me thinking it was more than word of mouth from a friend (another student). There might have been talk among friends, but do you really think one of them would spread something of this importance to the world. If so that's not a real friend.

Really. I know the situation, but the way it's spreading has me thinking it was more than word of mouth from a friend (another student). There might have been talk among friends, but do you really think one of them would spread something of this importance to the world. If so that's not a real friend.

This is also a generation that doesn't think twice about sharing personal information.

Regardless, where the info originated or spread, it has become available. The issue is before the Rutgers family. And, as a family, we must rally around this kid, and get him back on track. As previously stated, he has the summer to get the grades in order. We have prided ourselves on the ability to tutor our athletes when needed. Well, it's needed!

--------

Word is, it probably is not close enough to fix with summer classes.......we must face the real possibility that he will not be playing in sept.....on campus, still in school, possibly, but not football eligible

I
If true, terrible news for Him. I hope it isn't, and he can work to straighten this out. I hate to see a young man lose an opportunity like this.

With all the fluff classes, tutoring, study hall sessions, supposed monitoring of grades, etc., how can one end up in this situation? I don't even remember the last time we had a kid who was deemed academically ineligible. Sheesh..

Reactions: mal359
If true, a little suprising it would happen to him at this point. He's going into his 3rd year at RU. Usually this stuff occurs earlier. It also really creates CB problems ...both for the starting lineup and depth (with the Daily situation).. Cioffi and Stephenson are going to have to move over to help out at CB and I know they wanted to play more at safety.

i realize the depth issue, but was Barnwell a starter?

without Daily & Barnwell, who starts in the secondary including nickelback? i'm just curious

With all the fluff classes, tutoring, study hall sessions, supposed monitoring of grades, etc., how can one end up in this situation? I don't even remember the last time we had a kid who was deemed academically ineligible. Sheesh..

Some people can't make it no matter what. Students tend to do poorly when their high school credentials are much weaker than those of the average students. But let's hope this young man can turn it around.

I believe he has a young child, too (I sat in front of a young woman and her baby at the spring game who pointed out Nadir as "daddy"). Wonder if time spent with the baby (and possibly loss of sleep) had anything to do with it.

i realize the depth issue, but was Barnwell a starter?

without Daily & Barnwell, who starts in the secondary including nickelback? i'm just curious

Yes, Barnwell was a starter. Expectation was that Barnwell and Boggs would be our starting two corners. Cioffi had been playing CB but was moved to safety during the spring - wonder if he'll move back, or if the staff was already aware of Barnwell's academics before making that move. Daily was down the depth chart - in fact, I didn't even recognize the name when the news story came out and had to look him up.

It depends on the reason. It is possible that it already been determined. What happened was athletes were blowing off courses during the semester and then making them up in the summer.

14.4.3.1 Fulfillment of Credit-Hour Requirements. Eligibility for competition shall be determined based on satisfactory completion of at least: (
(b) Eighteen semester or 27 quarter hours of academic credit since the beginning of the previous fall term or since the beginning of the certifying institution’s preceding regular two semesters or three quarters (hours earned during the summer may not be used to fulfill this requirement)

Yes, Barnwell was a starter. Expectation was that Barnwell and Boggs would be our starting two corners. Cioffi had been playing CB but was moved to safety during the spring - wonder if he'll move back, or if the staff was already aware of Barnwell's academics before making that move. Daily was down the depth chart - in fact, I didn't even recognize the name when the news story came out and had to look him up.

so then who takes over Cioffi's spot at safety assuming he goes back to corner? who's the nickel? does Goodwin go back to the secondary? seems like RB depth is fine, so that could be likely. Plus, where does Heister fit in?

If he is a 3rd year student he is probably into his major and minor. Not many easy 101 classes will be available to him.

Also, if he has 60 credits taken already, it is tough to raise your gpa compared to a student with only 15-20 credits.
if a hypothetical student has a 1.75 GPA with 60 credits taken. If the student takes 4 classes over the summer and gets 4 B's then the GPA only rises to 1.958. Also, if a student takes classes at a community college or other school the credits will transfer in but the GPA may not. I remember some students used to take Organic Chemistry at community college since it was a very hard class at Rutgers and they were afraid that they would earn a grade that would hurt their GPAs while at a community college it was an easier path to get a B or A.

so then who takes over Cioffi's spot at safety assuming he goes back to corner? who's the nickel? does Goodwin go back to the secondary? seems like RB depth is fine, so that could be likely. Plus, where does Heister fit in?

I don't know. Safety has been an area of concern for me going into this season. I'm not on premium, so I'm sure other people have better info.

At safety, we have Delon Stephenson (Jr) and Davon Jacobs (RS Jr) who have experience at the position, and Andre Hunt (RS So, former walk on) as a backup. Stephenson had hyperextended his knee during the Navy game last year, and Hunt was injured late in the season, too. There's an expectation that Kiy Hester will slot quickly into the two-deep along with Saquan Hampton (RS Fr), and that Cioffi (Jr) would have seen some time there, too.

Expectation right now is that Stephenson/Jacobs will be the starters, with Hester/Hampton challenging them for the starting spot, and others providing depth and in sub packages.

If he is a 3rd year student he is probably into his major and minor. Not many easy 101 classes will be available to him.

Also, if he has 60 credits taken already, it is tough to raise your gpa compared to a student with only 15-20 credits.
if a hypothetical student has a 1.75 GPA with 60 credits taken. If the student takes 4 classes over the summer and gets 4 B's then the GPA only rises to 1.958. Also, if a student takes classes at a community college or other school the credits will transfer in but the GPA may not. I remember some students used to take Organic Chemistry at community college since it was a very hard class at Rutgers and they were afraid that they would earn a grade that would hurt their GPAs while at a community college it was an easier path to get a B or A.

From looking at the rule quoted above, it seems like eligibility is not determined on cumulative average,but rather on average for the last two semesters of enrollment. So having 60 credits is not a problem. (Of course, the unavailability of 101 courses may be.) And, to confirm what RUfinal4 says, grades in courses taken elsewhere (whether at a community college or a four-year institution) do not count in determining grade-point average. So he can't help his GPA by enrolling somewhere else for the summer -- and beside, the rule above says that summer courses, even those taken at Rutgers, do not count in calculating GPA for the most recent 27 credits. So it sounds like the player will not be eligible this Fall.

I believe he has a young child, too (I sat in front of a young woman and her baby at the spring game who pointed out Nadir as "daddy"). Wonder if time spent with the baby (and possibly loss of sleep) had anything to do with it.

So basically he is a sophomore in college with a baby to support and is in danger of failing out. Football is over. There are more important things for him.

Might not be GPA - could simply be lack of sufficient credits over the designated time period - he could have been cutting it close in terms of having the right number of credits - and then "F'ed" one class ... one F might not sink him below the necessary GPA level - but could leave him short of having enough credits.

I can't remember the last time we lost a guy because of academics.....at least since the Shea Era.
I know we had some casualties during Graber's time here.

I can't remember the last time we lost a guy because of academics.....at least since the Shea Era.
I know we had some casualties during Graber's time here.

We lost guys academically during the Schiano era, too - it just wasn't publicized.

You might recall that there was a list of players, over the years, who were "mysteriously in Greg's doghouse", who went from playing time to nowhere for no apparent reason and then suddenly announced transfers to places like URI.

Academics.

See, the thing about APR is that if a student-athlete transfers out while they're in "good academic standing" then they don't hit your APR number and they don't impact your graduation rate. Greg used to ease the academic problem children out of the program before they became ineligible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT