ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball got beat badly again today (15-7).

knights1212

Heisman Winner
Sep 9, 2003
Today I was able to get to the game. Two of the top 3 batters in the very first inning hit very long home runs. we trailed 2-0 than closed in the 4th I believe to 2-1 on a triple and a sacrifice fly. In the 5th we fell behind 3-1 but rallied for 4 runs in the bottom of the fifth to take the lead 5-3. In the top of the 6th the Spartans had a 3 run homerun to give them back the lead 6-5. They soon hit 2 more homeruns so before you knew it we were trailing 8-5 and had already given up 5 home runs out of 6 hits. In the top of the 7th I think it was that we gave up 7 more runs to fall behind 15-5. Michigan State came into the game only at 5-5 in conference but they pounded the ball. To me their players seemed to be so much better hitters, were bigger and seemed really confident. We have a long way to go to be respectable. Our pitching didn't look good at all. The final score was 15-7.

I am no expert, but the team is just not playing as soundly this year as in the past -- it is not just a question of talent. Today that 4 run inning should have been a bigger inning. With runners at first and second and one out there was a sharp single and the lead runner was inexplicably waved home -- the play at the plate was not even close so instead of bases loaded with one out the second out was made and there were no more runs that inning. After falling behind 8-5 in the bottom of the seventh against far from the elite of their staff and our best hitter coming up we open with a bunt. Another time a runner held up at second when being waved to third and could have made it easily.

Last weekend was the worst for taking the bat out of the batters hand. On Sunday, in the first six at bats RU 4 times had runners on 1st and second for RU w/nobody out -- 3x we sacrificed -- 0 total runs in those 3 innings -- the only reason we did not sacrifice the other time was that the batter was hit by the first pitch trying to bunt and that is the inning we scored runs. -- we had runners in scoring position in each of the first 6 inning with fewer than 2 out and only scored in that one inning.

Lots of pick offs, runners getting thrown behind on base hits for outs etc. this year. The pitching staff will set some kind of record for hit batsmen.

I was hoping for way more this year and it is frustrating that it is these things, including calls by the staff, not just inability to hit the ball or find the strike zone, that is keeping this team down.

Sounds like Coach Litterio needs to ask Spartans coach Boss where his team buys their bats.

ADVERTISEMENT