ADVERTISEMENT

Best Dorm at SEBS (Cook Campus)?

Luvscarletknights

All Conference
Gold Member
Apr 2, 2018
Back in 1987 Perry Dorm is where I stayed and it was new for Cook College students. My son will start at RU in Fall at SEBS. What is the best dorms available for incoming SEBS students?

Last edited:
I may not be up to date on this but capital construction projects in the past couple decades did not seem to include any new housing on Cook. Maybe someone else can confirm if otherwise. But if not, then it would appear that Perry might still be the last new dorm built on Cook.

Not sure if Perry or Voorhees may have received any upgrades or renovations in the interim to modernize/update them.

I'm assuming those two dorms are where most SEBS freshmen are likely to receive housing assignments.

That is why I am asking. I believe one of the Douglass dorms has been given to SEBS near the dining hall.

New and renovated dorms are coming to Cook. Corona may be pushing the dates back.

Are SEBS students mandated different dorms than SAS?
Not sure about mandated as apparently there's more flexibility these days to live anywhere on the NB/P campuses regardless of the academic unit one is enrolled in. Though I suspect that some preference/weight is still given to students of certain schools to be able to reside in housing located on the campus on which most of the academic facilities of said school and its academic departments/programs are housed, e.g. SEBS on Cook, Eng'g and Pharma on Busch, RBS on Livi, MGSA on Douglass or CA, etc.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
He is options. Animal Science major so he will live on Cook Campus. Just trying to figure out which are best ootions.

Don’t underrate proximity to bus stops.
I'd tend to agree with this. Too bad to hear about reducing bus stops and streamlining bus routes through Cook-Douglass. No more service along Dudley and Ryders with stops near the CCC and Katzenbach respectively?

So have Lippincott and Katzenbach become co-ed Cook dorms now and not Douglass/DRC (i.e. women-only dorms)? They were all-women in the 90s. Not sure about Nicholas. New Gibbons definitely was. Used to be many housing options for Douglass students back then, definitely seemed more than Cook from what I recall. Appears to have been streamlined into only a couple now for DRC. I guess they decided to do that to provide some non-DRC students from Cook, SAS, and other schools with expanded options to live on Cook-Douglass.

Did Cooper Dining Hall go away too? Location at the front/incoming end of Douglass used to be much more convenient than Nielson for those not living on Cook-Douglass back then but had the occasional class on that campus to be able to eat before/after class.

Same question as @RUnTeX as I didn’t know about some of the female dorms being co-ed now?

If he’s set on living on Cook/Douglass he should check the new bus routes for Fall 2021. They reduced the number of stops and Cook gets hit pretty hard (Lipman Hall is the closest).
Was thinking about making a seperate thread about this awhile ago but never got around to it... While the Bus System has certainly always had (sometimes major) flaws - there's a consensus many students that this fall will be a sh!t show. There is currently a petition to have routes reinstated / changes rolled back.

Personally, I can see some of the logic behind the changes, but also worry about possible disruptions and flaws as well as the drastic drop in stops on each campus.

Not sure about mandated as apparently there's more flexibility these days to live anywhere on the NB/P campuses regardless of the academic unit one is enrolled in. Though I suspect that some preference/weight is still given to students of certain schools to be able to reside in housing located on the campus on which most of the academic facilities of said school and its academic departments/programs are housed, e.g. SEBS on Cook, Eng'g and Pharma on Busch, RBS on Livi, MGSA on Douglass or CA, etc.

I thought most freshmen in SAS live on Livingston now. Is that the case? Does it apply to to other schools as well?

Perry and Voorhees have air conditioning. The other dorms do not. Also have bigger rooms. I lived in Perry. I loved the location right next to the gym and the athletic fields. It was a far walk everywhere but honestly I enjoyed the walking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT