ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten-"Rutgers Exceeded Expectations"

Highlights:

The chief network executive said New Jersey's state university "exceeded the expectations in every possible way.''

The game against Penn State resulted in the highest-rated college football game on Sept. 13 in the New York and Philadelphia markets, according to the Nielsen overnight ratings. In Philadelphia, the game drew a 4.4 rating and in New York it scored a 2.2 rating, according to BTN.com.

"The number of fans that were there, and the energy that they had was incredible,'' said BTN President Mark Silverman

"The ratings for the Penn State-Rutgers game, as the No. 1-rated football game for the entire day, beating Notre Dame on NBC, beating the SEC game on ESPN, we would've never dreamed one of our games would be the No. 1 game in the (New York) market that we're just starting to get introduced to.

I really think Maryland - RUTGERS could blossom into a great rivalry. Especially if we grow at a similar pace.

Shack the numbers for those games would be ridiculous. I hope the B1G realizes the potential they have and actually do something to accelerate RU's payouts.

Unfortunately ahmeda, we didn't hold leverage when we joined the B1G. It was either accept the terms or remain drifting towards college football irrelevance for all eternity. In the near future these financial hurdles will become a thing of the past.

For all the the folks who said "Rutgers to the B1G makes no sense"

7d248fd0420a8f2e3f6cefd773523106.jpg

Thank you Jim Delany. Once again you were right and way ahead of the many know nothing blow hards in sports.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Unfortunately ahmeda, we didn't hold leverage when we joined the B1G. It was either accept the terms or remain drifting towards college football irrelevance for all eternity. In the near future these financial hurdles will become a thing of the past.

We got the exact same deal as Nebraska when they joined the B10.

Understood. But just addressing the false hope of getting more money quicker just because ratings are good.

I actually like our game with PSU earlier in the season. No reason to fight traditional rivalries for eyeballs. Better to be the hot game of the week than just another game.

Those games were scheduled before we joined. We will play them towards the end from now on. This year the last time we play them early this decade.

I really think Maryland - RUTGERS could blossom into a great rivalry. Especially if we grow at a similar pace.
It could - but it will never match PSU unless PSU just falls off the map. Otherwise, bother teams will be really gunning for PSU - the game against each other is a sideshow.

If both are much worse than PSU, then well - who cares who wins. Itsl ike RU/SHU in BB in the 2000s - fun for the fans, but not that meaningful most years.

If both teams are even with PSU then - well PSU is the elephant in the room. You want to beat them first and foremost.

And of course if one is much better than the other, than that team will be gunning for PSU and the other one wont really matter.

you can have more than one rival, Michigan has a few besides OSU, though that one is the big one.

For Rutgers big one will be Penn State, but we will still have the instate rivals of Princeton and SHU for non-football sports for example no matter what. Those rivalries will follow us for as long as those schools sponsor sports.

Now can Rutgers and Maryland become a big time rivalry in football, well that will all depend on how good they are and how the games play out. The 1st one was pretty damn great, so that is a good start. But, it will take time for people to consider it must see TV outside of our fan bases.

The game should be moved to rivalry week at the end of the season.

It will...eventually...

However for the Big Ten Network RU vs PSU at the beginning of the season is a great to dominate the ratings early in the season before the Herat of conference schedules start.

A great read! We did very well in football and knocked at least 3 biggies off in basketball(Wisc, Clemson and for selfish reasons on my part PSU). Womens basketbal and soccer did well. And lets not forget our Wrestling team !

I fully expect our fortunes to change in other sports as more athletes want to play in the B10.

A great read! We did very well in football and knocked at least 3 biggies off in basketball(Wisc, Clemson and for selfish reasons on my part PSU). Womens basketbal and soccer did well. And lets not forget our Wrestling team !

I fully expect our fortunes to change in other sports as more athletes want to play in the B10.

Plus thanks to the BTN and BTNPlus, their games will be on TV. That was almost never the case before.

So the state universities of New Jersey and Pennsylvania get a good rating in the Philadelphia market, and we act like we accomplished something? New Jersey makes up a good chunk of the New York market and we get a good rating in it for our first Big Ten game, and it's stunning?

I'm really surprised anyone from the BTN would act shocked -- gloat, perhaps, but not shocked -- that we would beat games from other areas in these two markets. That's why we're here, isn't it? Didn't WE know this would happen? Didn't Jim Delany know this would happen?

Hey, I love the fact we got good ratings in our own markets, but I'll be much more interested when we "exceed expectations" in other ways ...

So the state universities of New Jersey and Pennsylvania get a good rating in the Philadelphia market, and we act like we accomplished something? New Jersey makes up a good chunk of the New York market and we get a good rating in it for our first Big Ten game, and it's stunning?

I'm really surprised anyone from the BTN would act shocked -- gloat, perhaps, but not shocked -- that we would beat games from other areas in these two markets. That's why we're here, isn't it? Didn't WE know this would happen? Didn't Jim Delany know this would happen?

Hey, I love the fact we got good ratings in our own markets, but I'll be much more interested when we "exceed expectations" in other ways ...
Yes, we knew it but the rest of the world doubted it. Even teams in the B1G doubted it and now they know. Plus, ND is perceived to be some big NY draw and we out did them on a cable channel. Anyone you finds something to complain about here is simply looking for things to complain about. Congrats

From an overall rivalry perspective I think the obvious thing to do is have a B1G version of the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy, which would be awarded to the team with the best head-to-head record among RU, UM and PSU.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

This is the biggest rating EVER on BTN for both markets.

But, go ahead and don't give Rutgers any credit for that.

This is the biggest rating EVER on BTN for both markets.

But, go ahead and don't give Rutgers any credit for that.

I think Boro is giving Rutgers credit for this, but his point is that no one should be surprised. The only reason that you would be surprised is if you previously believed that Rutgers wasn't the most popular college football team in NJ, the most popular college team in the NYC market, and along with PSU the most popular team in the Philadelphia market.

I don't even believe Silverman from BTN when he says Rutgers exceeded expectations. I think he really means that Rutgers met expectations. Although it is possible that Delaney and others tempered expectations, so maybe Silverman was surprised.

But no one here should have been surprised. We know that Rutgers routinely draws strong ratings in our home market.

I think Boro is giving Rutgers credit for this, but his point is that no one should be surprised. The only reason that you would be surprised is if you previously believed that Rutgers wasn't the most popular college football team in NJ, the most popular college team in the NYC market, and along with PSU the most popular team in the Philadelphia market.

I don't even believe Silverman from BTN when he says Rutgers exceeded expectations. I think he really means that Rutgers met expectations. Although it is possible that Delaney and others tempered expectations, so maybe Silverman was surprised.

But no one here should have been surprised. We know that Rutgers routinely draws strong ratings in our home market.

Ok, then I misunderstood what he wrote. Sorry about that.

Rutgers met the Big Ten expectations (they invited Rutgers for a reason) and they also exceeded BTN (half fox own) network's expectations. I don't think the BTN really grasp our local appeal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT