ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Hurley to Arizona State?

Originally posted by bac2therac:

it seems to be official

this sucks some serious monkey balls given our situation, we might have been able to get him this year. Now seemingly the path of Bobby Hurley will never be coming our way. If he succeeds at ASU he will be scooped up by a more prominent power 5

It is strange that Bobby went from an assistant under Danny to beating him out for a Power 5 job. Danny needs to deliver at URI in the next two years or that star will fade...he could end up at RU after all.
A Hurley coaching at Rutgers would want 3x salary and length.

Good luck to him in the desert.

"given our situation" LOL

Originally posted by ru66:
anyone who thinks this is a slam dunk is jumping to huge conclusions
Outside of Calipari going to UK...don't think any hire is an automatic slam dunk...especially with a Coach who has never coached at a high level like Hurley.

ASU is taking a big swing at this...as they want to stand out...something their former Coach, who did ok, just couldn't break thru (hard to when Arizona dominates your state in that sport).

If Hurley does good or even well at ASU...i can see him heading "back East" someday.

Is the Hurley name that big nationally? Will fans in Arizona be impressed? Just asking, not flaming.

Originally posted by Exit117:
Is the Hurley name that big nationally? Will fans in Arizona be impressed? Just asking, not flaming.
The local media is making Bobby's hire a big thing and talking up his pedigree and his competitiveness .
With the local media behind him, ASU fans are impressed.
Arizona's media usally are supportive when ASU and the UofA's ADs hire someone,
helping those schools have a more supportive fan base when new coaches are hired.

Originally posted by MADHAT1:
The local media is making Bobby's hire a big thing and talking up his pedigree and his competitiveness .
helping those schools have a more supportive fan base when new coaches are hired.
I give ASU great credit for this hire. They are what RU MBB is not, a program willing to roll the dice on a young HC with a winning pedigree to upgrade their BB program in a significant way.

The RU Administration culture of CYA is a negative for the entire university including the MBB program. We may be at the lowest low point with MBB as I've ever witnessed. And that is saying a lot.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:

I give ASU great credit for this hire. They are what RU MBB is not, a program willing to roll the dice on a young HC with a winning pedigree to upgrade their BB program in a significant way.

The RU Administration culture of CYA is a negative for the entire university including the MBB program. We may be at the lowest low point with MBB as I've ever witnessed. And that is saying a lot.
oh its pretty low but there is still some room to go even lower

Originally posted by bac2therac:

it seems to be official

this sucks some serious monkey balls given our situation, we might have been able to get him this year. Now seemingly the path of Bobby Hurley will never be coming our way. If he succeeds at ASU he will be scooped up by a more prominent power 5

It is strange that Bobby went from an assistant under Danny to beating him out for a Power 5 job. Danny needs to deliver at URI in the next two years or that star will fade...he could end up at RU after all.
BAC....your comments are becoming really silly.

So let me get this straight..... Rutgers fires Jordan, eats 2 years of his contract and then hires Bobby Hurley ? REALLY

OR......

Danny Hurley fails at URI and Rutgers hires him in a few years? REALLY

Your love affair with anything Hurley is funny... maybe they have sister that wants to coach here.
roll.r191677.gif

For ASU to be successful they have to recruit California. I don't think the Hurley name carries weight in that state. He played a few years in Sacramento. He played at Duke, he never coached under Coach K.

But, he will have the budget to try to grab some big time west coast recruiters and that should help.
This post was edited on 4/11 10:41 PM by RU-Choppin-Ohio

Originally posted by Knightmoves:

I like the move too.

It will be interesting to see what happens at ASU off the court over the next few years so we can tell if they are as serious as you think they are.

I don't see any reason why you have to recruit California to win at ASU.

Ever been there ?

Think a kid from the Northeast or the Midwest who makes a visit from November to March when he's freezing his ass off isn't going to like walking around in shorts and a T-Shirt ?

Now add in a great campus and the gorgeous women factor what's not to like ?

Originally posted by RU-Choppin-Ohio:
For ASU to be successful they have to recruit California. I don't think the Hurley name carries weight in that state. He played a few years in Sacramento. He played at Duke, he never coached under Coach K.

But, he will have the budget to try to grab some big time west coast recruiters and that should help.
This post was edited on 4/11 10:41 PM by RU-Choppin-Ohio
Fortunately for ASU and Hurley, Hurley has a National name/brand...same for ASU.

ASU has played ok over the last 3 years especially (28-26) in Pac-12 play (2 NIT's and 1 NCAA during those seasons)...finishing in the top half of the conf...but Sendek was not energizing the alumni/fan base, hence why ASU made their move now.

Sendek was there 9 years...so he had plenty of time to try and sell his program...but most years, ASU attendance was around 6,000 or less....approx 2 1/2 times less than their instate rival, Arizona.

Originally posted by TDIrish1:

Ever been there ?

Think a kid from the Northeast or the Midwest who makes a visit from November to March when he's freezing his ass off isn't going to like walking around in shorts and a T-Shirt ?

If that were the case top players from the east and Midwest would be going to UCLA, instead of Kentucky.

Arizona recruits nationally but has 8 players from California on their roster.... see the importance of it?

This post was edited on 4/12 5:32 PM by RU-Choppin-Ohio

Ever been there ?

If that were the case top players from the east and Midwest would be going to UCLA, instead of Kentucky.

Arizona recruits nationally but has 8 players from California on their roster.... see the importance of it?

This post was edited on 4/12 5:32 PM by RU-Choppin-Ohio
Even ASU as an Univ is growing nationwide and Internationally....as First Time Applicants to ASU grew 25% over the previous year.

For ASU's Fall 2014 Freshmen Class of 10,635 students, they came from all 50 states and 63 countries...with less than 59% coming from Arizona (largest out-of-state contingent was California where approx 11% of the Freshmen came from) with almost 9% coming from outside the USA.

Yes, it does have a reputation of a party school and while it won't ever be confused with Stanford or Cal or USC, ASU certainly seems to have a niche.

No I don't because when ASU recruits against a UCLA or Arizona there's nothing different about them except the fact that they don't win as much as they do.

But if they go head to head with a Nova or a Cuse or a Providence there's differences which IMO you can exploit to your advantage. Plenty of Big 10 schools you can say the same thing about.

I used to do some on campus recruiting for my company and you would be hard pressed to find a nicer campus than ASU .

There are some but not many.

No I don't because when ASU recruits against a UCLA or Arizona there's nothing different about them except the fact that they don't win as much as they do.

But if they go head to head with a Nova or a Cuse or a Providence there's differences which IMO you can exploit to your advantage. Plenty of Big 10 schools you can say the same thing about.

I used to do some on campus recruiting for my company and you would be hard pressed to find a nicer campus than ASU .

There are some but not many.
You still cannot win on a consistent basis in the Pac 10 unless you have good players from California. I don't think you will see half the roster of ASU being made up of east or midwest players.

The makeup will be similar to Arizona and it's 8 California players.

I have 10 bucks that his 1st or 2nd Assistant Coach hiring will be a guy with big time West Coast contacts.

This post was edited on 4/13 6:06 PM by RU-Choppin-Ohio

Why would that be ?

In the Midwest or Northeast do they play their HS basketball with 9 foot baskets ?

There is no one right way to win in college sports.

The team that just won the National Championship is located in North Carolina and their best 3 players hail from Houston , Minneapolis and Chicago.

ASU has a hard time, even with a nice campus, getting top HS talent and had a roster with 5 JUCOs and one transfer
who went to JUCO after leaving UNLV, but didn't play JUCO ball.
AZ isn't a breeding ground of talent and ASU looks to California to get kids the way Schiano looked at second tier Florida kids to fill roster because they were a bit better than the Jersey talent that he could get when he first became RU's FB HC.
But with Wells Fargo arrena needed to be updated, California dreaming is not going as well .

Top AZ talent usually look down the road to the UofA or California schools before they think ASU.
The Sun Devils do have 6 home grown players on their roster and only 2 California HS players.
Hurley has his work cut out for him, but with ASU's AD planing to invest in the Sun Devil MBB program,
Bobby might get some east coast flavor to west coast basketball.
But more than likely get some 2nd tier So Cal kids to think ASU and gradually lessen the reliance of needing
JUCO to fill the positions that ASU has a hard time getting out of state HS talent to fill and TOP home grown talent passing on the oppertunity to play at ASU.

ASU has a hard time, even with a nice campus, getting top HS talent and had a roster with 5 JUCOs and one transfer
AZ isn't a breeding ground of talent and ASU looks to California to get kids the way Schiano looked at second tier Florida kids to fill roster because they were a bit better than the Jersey talent that he could get when he first became RU's FB HC.
But with Wells Fargo arena needed to be updated, California dreaming is not going as well .

Top AZ talent usually look down the road to the UofA or California schools before they think ASU.
The Sun Devils do have 6 home grown players on their roster and only 2 California HS players.
Hurley has his work cut out for him, but with ASU's AD planing to invest in the Sun Devil MBB program,
But more than likely get some 2nd tier So Cal kids to think ASU and gradually lessen the reliance of needing
JUCO to fill the positions that ASU has a hard time getting out of state HS talent to fill and TOP home grown talent passing on the oppertunity to play at ASU.
This IMO is how we'll know what ASU wants to do.

But with Wells Fargo arrena needed to be updated, California dreaming is not going as well .

MADHAT, do you think a team can win on a consistent basis in the PAC 10 without California talent? I view it as the same way teams could not win in the old Big East without NY/NJ talent.... or DC talent if you are Georgetown.

MADHAT, do you think a team can win on a consistent basis in the PAC 10 without California talent? I view it as the same way teams could not win in the old Big East without NY/NJ talent.... or DC talent if you are Georgetown.
Very hard unless the school had a national recruiting base or the top in state talent looked at the program as the place they want to go.
With both AZ schools, in state talent might not be enough and California talent is a must.
UofA has 1 AZ kid that went the JUCO route before joining their program 7 straight from a California HS one Cal kid that went to Finley Prep for his senior year after playing Cal HS ball and one that went to BC from Cal HS ball then transferred
to UoA after 3 seasons . Will be eligible next season after sitting out 2014-15.

UofA is a top PAC team because they get California talent ( and don't have to rely on home cooking from local talent) ,.
ASU is an also ran because they don't ( and the homegrown top talent don't look their way
So in my opinion, at least for the Arizona Schools, California talent is a must if they want to be at the head of the Class.
Bobby's name and the ASU's commitment to improving the mens basketball program might help get more talent, but think
BH will pull some 2nd tier East Coast HS players along with JUCO players when he starts building and then hit California for HS talent once he shows he can make ASU competitive in the PAC under him

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

ASU is not Duke.
images

This post was edited on 4/14 8:56 AM by Knight_Light
KmighLight-weight.... try to keep up.

The Duke reference was in response to the belief that ASU could recruit nationally...... here's the original comment:

The team that just won the National Championship is located in North Carolina and their best 3 players hail from Houston , Minneapolis and Chicago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT