ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball BREAKING: Washington, RU WBB gets first high school commitment

Welcome to the new recruit, Cammie McKinney!!! Great job Coach Washington!!! This program is on the way up, up, up.

"According to her ESPN profile, she was also considering Georgia, Vanderbilt, Rice, NC State, Texas A&M, and Kansas."

Reactions: RUPitt and RUcrazee
Rutgers has 2 assistant coaches in place,one of whom is Tasha Pointer. They will be officially announced this week.
thank you, do you know the name of the other assistant ?
Also some are implying July 1st is when they will be officially hired., so the announcement this week will notify the fanbase of the hire, but it won't be an official hre for a few weeks or on staff and doing the job this week ?

Nikki McCray is the other assistant. Might actually be associate head coach. Everything last week went into finding a ready to start point guard.
Best case scenario for the 3rd spot would be a recruiter with East Coach roots...Jersey, NY, Eastern PA and down to the DMV.

While it is frustrating that there has not been public announcements on staff hires from a fan perspective; it obviously hasn't meant CW hasn't been hard at work. And while yes we fans want to know what's happening, what's most important is that players/recruits know who is on the team--and seems like that is definitely happening.

Reactions: RULoyal
Nikki McCray is the other assistant. Might actually be associate head coach. Everything last week went into finding a ready to start point guard.Staff is very active on the trail. Also,awaiting word on who the third assistant will be.
thank you very much for this info .

Nikki McCray had ODU rolling before she got hired by Miss State, and then she had health issues which prompted her resignation. She’s a great get if this is true.
There were guys saying that no good assistant coach options were available in May / June and therefore, the program was a mess.

Bottom line, if you pay good money you can entice anybody....March, April, May, June.....any month.

Last edited:
Nikki McCray's time at Miss St seemed like a mess, but she did well at ODU, and she was on Dawn Staley's staff at SC for a long time before that. She's also a gold medal olympian.

McKinney is ranked in the top-25 point guards in the Class of 2022, according to ESPN, and was a McDonald's All-America Game nominee during her senior season in 2021-22 playing for Memorial High School in Frisco, Texas and for the Texas Elite adidas 3SSB club.

"Rutgers is an amazing school with an amazing staff that has made me feel wanted and loved from the very first phone call," McKinney said.

Some People really like throwing around the phrase, "Program was a mess". 😀😀😀😀.
guess when something looks bad we should wait before saying it looks bad.
I'm glad RU WBB is looking better than when I thought it looked like a mess, but without anything to go by, seeing players leave and no word official or unofficial about assistants being hired or even candidates being interviewed , one can't claim everything is hunky dorre and expect to be believed .
Like it or not, the program wasn't looking good, from when CVS announced she was retiring and even CW's hiring didn't make the positive feeling new like that should bring to fanbase.
Then the worry about who would be on CW';s staff made some feel uneasy and I was one of them that expressed my frustration about the lack of knowing who was being targeted
From CVS' LOA to the coaching and assistant search, lack of info makes one wonder about what's going on and basically have a negative feeling about what's happening

Last edited:
McKinney is ranked in the top-25 point guards in the Class of 2022, according to ESPN, and was a McDonald's All-America Game nominee during her senior season in 2021-22 playing for Memorial High School in Frisco, Texas and for the Texas Elite adidas 3SSB club.

"Rutgers is an amazing school with an amazing staff that has made me feel wanted and loved from the very first phone call," McKinney said.

love it and glad CW's pulled in a player like Cammie.
Gives hope that more good ones will commit

Nikki McCray had ODU rolling before she got hired by Miss State, and then she had health issues which prompted her resignation. She’s a great get if this is true.

Head coaching record​

Statistics overview
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2017–18Old Dominion8–236–1012th
2018–19Old Dominion21–1010–65thWNIT First Round
2019–20Old Dominion24–614–42ndPostseason not held
Old Dominion:53–39 (.576)30–20 (.600)
2020–21Mississippi State10–95–79th
Mississippi State:10–9 (.526)5–7 (.417)

Nikki McCray's time at Miss St seemed like a mess, but she did well at ODU, and she was on Dawn Staley's staff at SC for a long time before that. She's also a gold medal olympian.
A "mess" is 1 year at Miss. State during the covid year when they only played 19 games and they went 10-9.

This is such great news! I think a lot of people were thinking the 2023 recruiting class was slipping through our fingers and Coach comes up with a pretty good looking point guard for 2022?! That is pretty cool. I guess this commitment and the news on the assistants shows that Coach has been working pretty hard since she took this gig. I have to say, she did not seem to be anybody's fool in her introduction press conference. I hope she does great. Go Coach Washington! Go RU!

A "mess" is 1 year at Miss. State during the covid year when they only played 19 games and they went 10-9.
And to add, she was conference Coach of the Year at ODU in her second year. Had one of the biggest turnarounds during her first year there and left South Carolina after winning their first national title. She is a winner on the court and on the bench, this is a great hire IMO.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
The "This Program is a mess group will NOT like this" !!!!

Once they run out of things to complain about and post over and over and over again, they won't have anything to post....😀😀😀
why?

looks like a great get!! need more!

CVS left the program in shambles, it's indefensible. one incoming player does nothing to change that. a top 25 LOCAL player literally just called Rutgers out saying she was never contacted by the new coach.

why?

CVS left the program in shambles, it's indefensible. one incoming player does nothing to change that. a top 25 LOCAL player literally just called Rutgers out saying she was never contacted by the new coach.
No program in transition is in shambles in the off season. If you followed college sports you would know that transfers out after a coaching change happens ALL THE TIME....unless an existing Assistant is elevated to Head Coach and even then transfers happen.

The only thing that matters is the roster and coaching staff in place on September 5th when the fall semester
starts..Judging a team or roster in June is just........way off base.

Finally...if you think a brand new coach is going to just grab a top rated recruit without any prior relationship then you are not playing attention to how recruiting works.

Last edited:
why?

but getting a talent like Cammie is a good start and will have a positive effect on recruiting.
Also the assistants for CW that are said to be coming should help end the negative situation Coquese Washington inherited and move RU WBB into positive outlook territory

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT