ADVERTISEMENT

BTN app for roku?

A lot of network apps require you to have a cable subscription to actually use the app, which doesn't make sense. I guess it's cable's way of staying in the game.

A lot of network apps require you to have a cable subscription to actually use the app, which doesn't make sense. I guess it's cable's way of staying in the game.

It makes plenty of sense to me. Why would the Big Ten or any conference give away their content for free?

They can just charge for the app in that case. People have shown that they are willing to pay for content they want.
Exactly, if you already have the network in your cable package why would you need the app?

It will be just like the phone app. You will need a cable package to get the live content or a willing family member to give you a password

Exactly, if you already have the network in your cable package why would you need the app?

It's the same idea as the espn apps. They ate really more for mobile and tablet use.

Im surprised they even do the roku apps. Who benefits but the freeloading brothers in law of the world?

So let me get this straight, just so there is no confusion. You will get the BTN app for roku so you can stream the BTN channel. You will not need a cable subscription.

What will it cost? Monthly fee? What do the other conferences who already have it charge?

So let me get this straight, just so there is no confusion. You will get the BTN app for roku so you can stream the BTN channel. You will not need a cable subscription.

What will it cost? Monthly fee? What do the other conferences who already have it charge?

You will need cable. You know the watch espn app? Same deal. Espn3 works with most Internet, but to stream.the other networks you need a cable account with those stations.

In alot of places you have to pay for a sports package to get BTN so even if you have cable but don't subscribe to BTN you can't stream on the app. Cable and satellite forces you to buy packages of channels just so you can watch one or two channels you may like.They're doing the same thing with apps, you actually have to pay cable to get access to them.

ok, so this really isn't that big of a deal, you could already stream it on your computer right? So if you already have roku and the BTN network on your subscription, it just makes it easier to stream to your tv?

In alot of places you have to pay for a sports package to get BTN so even if you have cable but don't subscribe to BTN you can't stream on the app. Cable and satellite forces you to buy packages of channels just so you can watch one or two channels you may like.They're doing the same thing with apps, you actually have to pay cable to get access to them.
ok, so this really isn't that big of a deal, you could already stream it on your computer right? So if you already have roku and the BTN network on your subscription, it just makes it easier to stream to your tv?

Right. Think HBO Go.

It makes nothing but sense. The rate of people cutting the cord is increasing, but the number of people that have done so is still not large enough to justify pissing off the cable companies, which are paying the conference a large amount of money.

It makes nothing but sense. The rate of people cutting the cord is increasing, but the number of people that have done so is still not large enough to justify pissing off the cable companies, which are paying the conference a large amount of money.

Most will still need a subscription. It allows you to watch all the content on-demand without a cable box. If you miss a rutgers segment, you'll be able to find it through the app.

The cable companies have the leverage right now...if the BTN and other networks decided to sell their apps for all access the cable networks would simply threaten to drop them, there is more money to be made if you are on a cable line up than in apps right now.

App lets you watch classic games on demand and what not I would think.

also roku app will let you watch live events or sports that are not popular enough to be shown on the regular station, or take place at the same time as a more compelling game

Needless to say I will be downloading the app when it comes out for Roku, I don't know if they will be streaming live events of other sports that aren't shown on BTN but I am interested in seeing what they will show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT