ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff NIL?

RUfanatic123

Redshirt
Jan 28, 2004
I was under the impression that Cliff/Mag couldn't receive NIL funds due to their student visa status. Has that changed?

I was under the impression that Cliff/Mag couldn't receive NIL funds due to their student visa status. Has that changed?
It has not changed. Most international athletes come to the US to play on F-1 student visa which prohibits them to participate in NIL .

However, schools can work to change their visa status which can be long and is not always guaranteed.

The school can also do pre season practices and tournament offshore/over seas. This allows the schools to get around those visa laws. That is the main reason Rutgers was in Africa this year. A school is not allowed to do that 2 years in a row. Hence if Mag and Cliff want to get paid they have to move on.

Good luck boys!

Nope. Not if they earn money in and get paid in their country.
Yup! The reason they have to leave the US to earn money in their own country is because of the Visa status. A school can only do that once every 2 years . So yes Visa status dictates how a player gets paid

Nope. Not if they earn money in and get paid in their country.

This and the billboard example make sense.
It’s being paid for by a non-US entity.

It’s not onsite in person work (which would require the trip to the country).

It has not changed. Most international athletes come to the US to play on F-1 student visa which prohibits them to participate in NIL .

However, schools can work to change their visa status which can be long and is not always guaranteed.

The school can also do pre season practices and tournament offshore/over seas. This allows the schools to get around those visa laws. That is the main reason Rutgers was in Africa this year. A school is not allowed to do that 2 years in a row. Hence if Mag and Cliff want to get paid they have to move on.

Good luck boys!
Great post - I didn't know about not being able to do it 2 years in a row. That pretty much means my post asking Cliff to give RU a chance to match is moot.

Yup! The reason they have to leave the US to earn money in their own country is because of the Visa status. A school can only do that once every 2 years . So yes Visa status dictates how a player gets paid

Not if you can earn the money without being physically present in the country.

Like the billboard example.
Imagine getting a residual years later from a foreign company for work done years ago?
You aren’t there now but still earning income.

Seems a workaround could be figured out.

Not if you can earn the money without being physically present in the country.

Like the billboard example.
Imagine getting a residual years later from a foreign company for work done years ago?
You aren’t there now but still earning income.

Seems a workaround could be o

The billboard example puts their F-1 status in jeopardy because the laws created to consider F-1 students non working:

If the billboard example was correct we would have paid Cliff every year and not have had to travel to Africa.

There are 2 large groups working on International NIL currently for all of CMBB.

Reactions: NickRU714
ShigsThe billboard example puts their F-1 status in jeopardy because the laws created to consider F-1 students non working:

If the billboard example was correct we would have paid Cliff every year and not have had to travel to Africa.

There are 2 large groups working on International NIL currently for all of CMBB.

I’m no expert but it seemed reasonable to me.
Could be completely wrong.
Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

All good so could I ! I dug into this last month to try and understand NIL on a deeper level. It probably changed since we started chatting a bout it lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT