ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Jackson & Coach Newton

Rutgers athletics is cutting back on lots of things.The idea that two assistant coaches with strong ties to Vivan leave at the same time being Vivan's call for two other no-top P5 locations strikes me as being unusual.After 20 years of Vivan being at Rutgers her changing her style in a significant fashion also seems unlikely.Also we all wait to see who her new assistants will be.That will certainly point out whether this was for cost cutting.

Georgia is an historically-strong program, and Miami is on the upswing (2nd round of the NCAAs last year, and 4 bids in 5 years), so I'm not sure what you're thinking.

Is Georgia a superior program to Rutgers?
Is Athens Georgia a better place to live than central Jersey?
its certainly cheaper.

I certainly do not think Miami is a superior program to Rutgers.

Is the cost of living in Miami cheaper than Central NJ?

Many think the took advantage of an opportunity.

Opportunities are funny things.

with regards to Stringer retiring, I think she really wants to make it to 1000 wins. Wouldn't you if you were this close? I can't see her retiring, absent health problems, before then.

with regards to Stringer retiring, I think she really wants to make it to 1000 wins. Wouldn't you if you were this close? I can't see her retiring, absent health problems, before then.

Great point , I was thinking trying to get the elusive NC while still in the game, this adds more reasons to make my feeling she might retire in 2 years far off the mark.
With 48 more wins needed for the 1,000 V mark, you probably have it right :)

Any update on filling coaching positions?The summer months are critical for evaluating recruits at summer camps and tournaments.

I saw on a RebKell thread that Kelley Gibson is coming to Rutgers from Syracuse. Does anyone know if there is truth in that statement?

She's been the recruiting coordinator there, and has done an okay job. The 2015 class was roughly equivalent to RU's class in terms of rankings. She's also a WNBA alum, which can't hurt.

Gibson's supposed to have helped (as recruiting coordinator) the Orange get the #6 recruiting class in 2012 and #10 in 2013. ( taken from her cuse.com bio)
and worked with the guards during Syracuse's practices ( from The Daily Orange )
She sounds like she'll be a good addition and might be looking to move up in the coaching ranks into a HC .

Reactions: RUfanDNT
also, from Julie Hermann today (from Scarlet Knight Insider email):

Q. Are you concerned about the staff turnover for women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer?

JH: I think everyone was excited about what women's basketball accomplished last season making it to the Second Round of NCAA's. That created some great opportunities for her entire staff. Their opportunities have given us the chance to bring in great talent and a fresh way of doing things. For the program to continue to move even higher you have to continually reinvent yourself sometimes. They were an exceptional staff with amazing chemistry. I think Vivian has done a tremendous job of hiring people who can step into this storied program, bring their great talent and help raise our game.

I would think a priority would be the hiring of a assistant coach with experience coaching front court players to replace Jackson.
I think CVS is looking at recruiting first, then find an assistant for the front-court players.
Tasha might take the top recruiting spot Tia had with Kelley taking responsibility the for back court player's development .
Just speculating , but think Vivian was going by: find a recruiter first, find FC assistant second

From the second article:

According to a spokeswoman, "a formal announcement of the school's new assistant coaches will be made this week."

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
Women's assistants typically don't make that much. For the same money, moving to tax friendlier states like Georgia and Florida are a real difference in take home pay.

ADVERTISEMENT