ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches on the hot seat article

RU205

All Conference
Jan 23, 2015
I can see Randy Edsall being on that list, but certainly not Brian Kelly. ND was a complete mess for years before he took over, had them in the NC game a few years ago and still wins and has an exciting offense. As much as I dislike ND , I'd take Kelly as our RU coach every day of the year. The guy has won at every stop he's been at.

As far as Randy Edall goes, I wonder if Maryland would promote, super recruiter/ controversial MD asst & prior HC Mike Locksley??
I could see Schiano getting a serious look, just like he probably will when any opening along the East Coast becomes available.

Virginia coach is on a Super Hot Seat, IMO. As well as good recruiter/ bad game day results Al Golden . Another Schiano possibility landing spot.

Wouldn't expect Flood to be on the list despite how some here feel.

Edsall may very well be in trouble. Could get to 5 wins with a 3-1 OOC but 6 looks out of reach with their schedule. A lot will depend on how well they replace all the losses on the front 7 on D and QB.

As a RU fan I hope he stays. I dread who they'd bring in with all that UA money to spend.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Flood isn't on the list means no matter how Rutgers performs, 3-4 wins seasons, he's here for at least four years.

Edsall on the relatively safe list means he might get fired in 2 seasons if he has a bad season this year.

I can see Randy Edsall being on that list, but certainly not Brian Kelly. ND was a complete mess for years before he took over, had them in the NC game a few years ago and still wins and has an exciting offense. As much as I dislike ND , I'd take Kelly as our RU coach every day of the year. The guy has won at every stop he's been at.

As far as Randy Edall goes, I wonder if Maryland would promote, super recruiter/ controversial MD asst & prior HC Mike Locksley??
I could see Schiano getting a serious look, just like he probably will when any opening along the East Coast becomes available.

Virginia coach is on a Super Hot Seat, IMO. As well as good recruiter/ bad game day results Al Golden . Another Schiano possibility landing spot.
Wow Abro....GS at FB rival Md? Scary....I'd bet PSU HC Franklin would sheet his pants if that actually happened. And we worry about recruiting now!?!..lol

Edsell? Edsel makes a lot of worst lists.
Edsel_Pacer_2-door_Hardtop_1958_front.jpg

The last line about the Indiana Coach may also apply to Flood.

He doesn't need to make a bowl to save his job after losing (edited Gary Nova), but he can't afford a major backslide.

The last line about the Indiana Coach may also apply to Flood.

He doesn't need to make a bowl to save his job after losing (edited Gary Nova), but he can't afford a major backslide.

I agree with that but that's really just speculation. I don't believe there's been any REAL expectations expressed for what Flood must accomplish in order to maintain his position. I'm left with the impression that he could just manage two wins and we'll still have him here next year.

I think that statement applies to almost any coach who is relatively new to the job.

a few points. Flood is not on the list but Edsell is. This article says Edsell needs 5 wins to keep his job. I think he needs at least 6 so they get a bowl game. Brian Kelly is on the list and need 8 or more wins but I think with the team he has if he doesn't win 10 he should be fired.

I think Golden should get fired if he doesn't win the ACC. That team is loaded.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/5/22/8612191/college-football-coaches-hot-seat-2015

Does anyone REALLY think that Flood is on the hot seat? Seriously? Look at this record:

2012: 9-4 Lost bowl game in overtime
2013: 6-7 Lost bowl game to Notre Dame
2014: 8-5 Destroyed North Carolina in bowl game

Top 10 APR scores in all three years. Ethical leadership with no scandals. Sellout crowds and comeback wins.

Step back from the message board. Does that record of accomplishment put you in the hot seat at Rutgers?

-Scarlet Jerry

Does anyone REALLY think that Flood is on the hot seat? Seriously? Look at this record:

Top 10 APR scores in all three years. Ethical leadership with no scandals. Sellout crowds and comeback wins.

Step back from the message board. Does that record of accomplishment put you in the hot seat at Rutgers?

-Scarlet Jerry

You're right. But let's see if he can keep it up.

The list is pure speculation. If Flood continues to perform at current level then true, he isn't going anywhere. However if things deteriorate due to recruiting or bad coaching, he's gone after 2 bad seasons. Flood has shown that his teams don't cave under pressure in close games as RU won all but 1 close game last year. That is a sign that he can coach under pressure and his players follow his lead with the confidence of winners. It's all about his recruiting results from here on out.

I have resided to the fact after the Rice/Bball incident RU just wants to stay out of the limelight.

Flood runs a clean program, doesn't bring in questionable guys.

He would have to go 3 and whatever for a few years before he is even on the hot seat.

Prepare for totally asskickings against the name schools, wins against the rest like 2015 and PSU taking over Jersey and Michigan getting back to the top.

That is our reality. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: suggakane

-Scarlet Jerry
I don't think Flood should be on this list. I didn't post this article because of Flood. I thought is was an interesting article so I posted it.

a few points. Flood is not on the list but Edsell is. This article says Edsell needs 5 wins to keep his job. I think he needs at least 6 so they get a bowl game. Brian Kelly is on the list and need 8 or more wins but I think with the team he has if he doesn't win 10 he should be fired.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/5/22/8612191/college-football-coaches-hot-seat-2015

It's disappointing that Flood isn't on the list. I hope they don't know something from JH that we don't.

-Scarlet Jerry

What is this madness? Cold hard facts have no place in any discussion of Flood regarding the job he is doing. Don't you know he was a career offensive line coach and therefore can not possibly have the intelligence, experience and leadership qualities necessary to be a good head coach?! Just because he has the best 1st 3-year record of any Rutgers coach since Frank Burns, he is nonetheless doomed to fail eventually.

Please don't confuse me with the facts .. I know what I know.

-Scarlet Jerry

Jerry, dont use facts on this board please. you're supposed to use conjecture and tell me how his two star recruiting is leading us to failure in the future. ok, no facts. thank you........

T2k - I don't get why anyone would be disappointed our coach is on the hot seat list.

Welcome to the Rutgers "Fans" board!!!!

Only on here that your own head coach is talked about MORE than the actual guys on the list.
I sure am glad that the demographics of a couple on this board does not represent the true fans of RUTGERS.

rubaseball78 said:
T2k - I don't get why anyone would be disappointed our coach is on the hot seat list.

Only on here that your own head coach is talked about MORE than the actual guys on the list.
I sure am glad that the demographics of a couple on this board does not represent the true fans of RUTGERS.

RU's own HC has been put on that hot seat the minute he was hired, by some of the posters here.
I wasn't happy with his being hired and figured it was a pnic move based on not willing to pay for a quality HC
and looking for one at a discount or a up & comer willing to settle for less.
But after last season believe he deserves a chance and off the hot seat I had him on

Now his seat is only warm , in my book

rubaseball78 said:
RU's own HC has been put on that hot seat the minute he was hired, by some of the posters here.
Ain't that the truth? If he walked on water and changed water to wine, people would be complaining about the vintage and that he tracked water on the carpet.

-Scarlet Jerry

Exactly. We're only a game or two here and there from being EXACTLY where we hoped to be after these three years. (Mind you, I'm not talking margin of defeat in some cases, which would be more of a problem if we didn't win all but one of the games we could have.) And until recruiting starts showing up in the win-loss record, it's no reason to be on the hot seat.

I like having this man as our head football coach. He might not have the charisma of a Schiano, but he's also not a megalomaniac, a chronic job flirt or a bully, either.

You have to be at a big-time football factory for that record to put you on a hot seat. And I don't even want to be one of those.

Ain't that the truth? If he walked on water and changed water to wine, people would be complaining about the vintage and that he tracked water on the carpet.

Well who the hell is going to pay the cleaning bill? Will RU have to increase tuition as a result?

You can debate whether it was reasonable but if a "big donor" had ponied up in 2013 JH would have fired Flood.

So another example in this thread of where the pro and anti Flood types are arguing against strawmen instead of the reality.

Flood had one really atrocious year and two decent ones. His recruiting is so so. JH doing anything is totally predicated on money and you can bet that if some donor could line up a replacement and pay for it and if Flood was having a mediocre year it would get done, based on what we saw before.

RU is committed to winning, and we have only really had two coaches during that committed time.

Kelly should have been fired after he killed a kid with the video camera in the scissors lift in 60mph winds.

The ciach to watch is W. MICH FLECK. HE WILL BE IN THE ACC or Big Ten in 2016
PJ has that "stain" that HCKF seems to lack. Kids loved those rah rah types and run through walls for them. I wonder if we'd "make a move" if recruiting don't step up? Our talent level seems to deplete yearly as much as i hope KF succeeds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT