ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel 2015 4/16 update

Re: Coaching Carousel 2015

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Pecora out at Fordham...this may be a worse job than Rutgers. They never ever should have moved to the A10, have they ever not finished in the bottom 4. IMO they need to go back to the MAAC with like schools that they can compete against. They do not belong in the A10
Totally agree. They look like a MAAC school, their gym looks like a MAAC gym, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just accept it and compete there.

So much of conference movement has brought teams that do not belong together, together. The irony of Rutgers is, despite the almost universal derision from fans across the county about the move from an athletics perspective, conference realignment brought us together with schools with which we belong.

Look at the Atlantic 10, the American, even the ACC, a public-private geographical mishmash. There aren't many conferences left that actually fit together: the WCC (for the most part, BYU is an outlier), the MAC -- all second-tier public universities in a regional belt along the Great Lakes states, the MAAC, although moreso before a few non-Catholic schools joined, but still all-private, and a few others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

Fordham belongs with the MAAC schools, on any level you care to name.

Originally posted by BoroKnight:
Pecora out at Fordham...this may be a worse job than Rutgers. They never ever should have moved to the A10, have they ever not finished in the bottom 4. IMO they need to go back to the MAAC with like schools that they can compete against. They do not belong in the A10
Totally agree. They look like a MAAC school, their gym looks like a MAAC gym, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just accept it and compete there.

So much of conference movement has brought teams that do not belong together, together. The irony of Rutgers is, despite the almost universal derision from fans across the county about the move from an athletics perspective, conference realignment brought us together with schools with which we belong.

Look at the Atlantic 10, the American, even the ACC, a public-private geographical mishmash. There aren't many conferences left that actually fit together: the WCC (for the most part, BYU is an outlier), the MAC -- all second-tier public universities in a regional belt along the Great Lakes states, the MAAC, although moreso before a few non-Catholic schools joined, but still all-private, and a few others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

Fordham belongs with the MAAC schools, on any level you care to name.
We look like an AAC school, our gym looks worse than an AAC gym. The conference realaignment brought us closer to schools that academically we are like, but - well its not quiz bowl, is it.

Nevada hired an assistant from LSU and Charlotte hired Mark Price from the Hornets.

Tennessee fired its first year coach due to an NCAA investigation at his previous job at USM.

Re: Coaching Carousel 2015 3/27 update

Originally posted by knightinaz:
ESPN reporting Lavin out at St Johns
Looks like they are going to hire all time great alum Chris Mullin to replace him.

Texas let go of Barnes.

Two first for the season

Utah State will promote from within, the first program to do so officially this offseason.

Fordham is going to take Eastern Kentucky's current HC, becoming the first team to set off a potential cascade (although given EKU's position, its unlikely).

The Texas job is going to get someone's HC for sure. Someone big. Like FB, Im guessing they will use some of their record profits to overpay for the guy they end up with.

DePaul hired its former HC Dave Leitao, who left for there and went on to a middling career at UVa. The best part is that after he got canned at UVa, he ended up being HC for the Celtics D League team - the Maine Red Claws, before ultimately ending up as an assistant at Tulsa.

I dont think I listed it above - Eastern Tennessee hire an assistant from Wichita State and at some point Arkansas-Little Rock let go of their coach.

This post was edited on 3/30 8:47 AM by derleider

It looks like I was wrong. Bradley is the first to hire a current D1 HC, by hiring the HC from Green Bay.

Additionally, The Citadel announced that it is hiring the HC from VMI.
This post was edited on 3/30 12:33 PM by derleider

George Mason hired the HC from Bucknell.
Utah Valley hired an assistant from BYU.

It looks like Tennessee is going to hire Barnes from Texas, but its not finalized yet.

San Diego hired an ex player who was an assistant at New Mexico.

Liberty hired an assistant from Virginia, who's actually let Liberty for that job in the first place.

The big news is obviously Shaka Smart to Texas.

Bowling Green also fired their coach after one year - which makes at least 3 first year coaches fired.

Re: Coaching Carousel 2015 4/1 update

Avery Johnson to Alabama? Interesting plan B to Greg Marshall. Certain schools are definitely taking risks.

Tough to see Marshall leaving Wichita when the place he plays in is the Koch Arena. They are nice boosters to have in your corner.

Originally posted by derleider:
The big news is obviously Shaka Smart to Texas.

Bowling Green also fired their coach after one year - which makes at least 3 first year coaches fired.
he was fired for pinching butts and making comments to women in a bar. Someone videoed it.

Don't know about head coaching changes after this coming week, but Billy Donovan's name keeps reappearing on ESPN and other places for an NBA job (why he'd leave, not sure).....but young rosters like the Timberwolves and Sixers would be wise to make a run here.

If Florida were to open up, would Anthony Grant get consideration?? Florida isn't going to want to pay up to 2.5 to 3M or more to just saying they are paying their coach that amount, if it's not Donovan coaching the roster. I think Marshall would've considered the Florida job if it was open vs. Alabama.

Best hire of the offseason was Tennessee letting go of Tyndell and reaching out to Barnes behind the scenes....when Texas Steve Patterson decided he would ask Barnes to change assistants, it's essentially forcing his hand and forcing Texas to fire him, knowing he had a good chance to go to Tennessee.

SEC has added Rick Barnes, Ben Howland and Avery Johnson in one week. A somewhat soft conference eventually cost Kentucky, since they weren't truly tested, maybe in next couple of years, they'll become more ready for the NCAA tournament with better competition in league.

Regarding the Bowling Green coach getting fired, who actually does that in 2015??? Almost can't make stuff up now, it just comes to the media.

SO Avery Johnson to Alabama, and SIUE hired an assistant from Cal, which seems like a pretty big get for such a small time team.

VCU hired The coach from Chattanooga who had been an assistant under Smart at VCU earlier.

Arkansas-Little Rock hired the HC from D2 Angelo State.

Will Wade, a few years ago, like Gregg Marshall more than a few years ago, had interest in the Rutgers job.

VCU hired The coach from Chattanooga who had been an assistant under Smart at VCU earlier.

Arkansas-Little Rock hired the HC from D2 Angelo State.
Linked article from Richmond Times-Dispatch. Wade is a former assistant of Amaker at Harvard, then Smart at VCU. Also coached Jeremy Lin at Harvard.

New VCU coach Will Wade

I was almost thinking that VCU might offer Anthony Grant a chance to return. Wherever he coaches now is going to be in a lesser league like CUSA or the AAC

I was almost thinking that VCU might offer Anthony Grant a chance to return. Wherever he coaches now is going to be in a lesser league like CUSA or the AAC
That thought crossed my mind as well.

Hawaii apparently had an interim coach this season who has been replaced now with an assistant from Saint Mary's.

Eastern Kentucky hired an assistant from Minnesota

Green Bay gets the HC from D2 FLorida Southern (which like South FLorida is also near Tampa).

Buffalo promoted from within
Chattanooga hired an assistant from Florida
VMI hired an assistant from Navy

Southeast Missouri State hires fired Mississippi State caoch Rick Ray.

Buffalo promoted from within
Chattanooga hired an assistant from Florida
VMI hired an assistant from Navy
VMI hired Danny Earl from NJ and Penn State fame

I'm going to call Avery Johnson as a flop. Unsure on Howland as well.

Originally posted by cyrock3:
I'm going to call Avery Johnson as a flop. Unsure on Howland as well.
Ill agree somewhat on both...I will say that the SEC is all about Kentucky and Florida and then there is always about 2-3 slots for anyone else..and that's always up for grabs. So they could have some success at Bama and Miss St but in the end those schools will be on another carousel in 4-6 years because its hard to sustain success at those schools and they aren't very patient

SEC has gotten a big coaching upgrade IMO with this years addition of Pearl and incoming guys like Barnes and Howland.

I'm not sure about Johnson either but Grant wasn't working at Bama .

These schools have resources and you take a good coach and give him the tools he can get it done consistently anywhere IMO.

So the carousel is closed for right now.

Kennesaw State hired Al Skinner who was most recently an assistant at Bryant, and ALcorn state hired an assistant from fellow HBCU Bethune-Cookman

Well looks like the carousel may start spinning again. Reports that Donovan is finalizing a multiyear deal to become Thunder coach and barring an unforeseen collapse it should get done.

Looks like it. Usually in these cases though, the team simply promotes from within this late in the offseason. I would expect that to be the case, as Im sure Donovan had plenty of good assistants on his staff (although I think one recently left to coach somewhere else.)

I'd be surprised if Jeremy Foley hires from within. I guess it's possible similar to Luke Fickell but I don't remember when he got hired and how close it was to the start of the season/camps. I certainly wouldn't expect any promotion from within to be anything other than interim at least initially. If it worked out as a permanent hire from within, I'd be surprised.

Anthony Grant just got hired recently by Donovan I think but he could take him to the Thunder and even if he didn't Grant didn't do well in his last job so I don't expect him to get it. Same for John Pelphrey. I still think Foley hires someone from the outside or tags someone interim if it happens to be an inside hire.

I was wondering about Richard Pitino. He's still kind of green but so was Donovan when Foley hired him and I'd suspect he'd use the same sort of system. He coached for a year at FIU too. Wonder if he'd try for a guy like Gregg Marshall as well.

I'd amend that and say I could see a hire from within if Foley were to strike out on an outside hire like Miller/Pitino/Marshall etc....I still think he'll try hard for it but these days coaches stick to their current jobs longer than they use to in the past.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT