ADVERTISEMENT

College Football News Rutgers Preview

"The Hoosiers ran wild on the Scarlet Knights"... "The Knights got by the Hoosiers last year in a firefight"...

I seem to remember beating them by more than 3 TDs... did I miss how that was suddenly a close call?

Have to disagree with their extra focus on the margin of victory / loss - yes, there were 4 very lopsided losses last year - and there could be similar games this year - but for a new team in the B1G probably the most important thing is to be strong enough to be a winning team over the course of the season. Rutgers went 7-5 and won the bowl game to go 8-5 - a successful first year in the B1G by any reasonable standard. It is the season record that is ultimately judged.
YES, The sting of lopsided games were ugly - but the point that is often missed is that, a lesser team - a weaker team - would have been decimated / broken by those blowouts & would not have gone on to win the subsequent games that were needed to finish at 7-5.
I absolutely want to see Rutgers up-end some of the big boys - but regardless of the final score, I want to see Rutgers emerge from the four game sequence of OSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Nebraska - still standing and ready to strongly finish out the season with wins.

Reactions: trentonrufan
"Key player to a successful season: Sophomore DT Sebastian Joseph."

I understand the need for RU's defense to be strong, but I've gotta think that whoever plays QB might be the key player to a successful season.

The blowout losses were bad but ...that was a ridiculous gauntlet...Mich, @OSU, @ Neb, Wisc. That took it's toll and the team looked kind of beat up and lacking confidence for that Wisky game and it showed. I thought they finished strong which was a positive (MSU was a legit top 6 or 7 team last year..so that wasn't too suprising on the road). Last year ..going in I thought maybe 8 winnable games. They came very close to winning all 8 regular season games...narrowing losing to PSU. This year I think 7 or maybe 8 winnable games in regular season. They need to win almost all of them. They have to win all 4 OOC games and that road game at Indiana (with the starting QB back) will be tricky and difficult I think. That could be a very key game for the season.

Reactions: trentonrufan
ADVERTISEMENT