ADVERTISEMENT

College Football's Coaching Hotseat list

If you're thinking Flood, he's here for at least 3 years even if he goes 15-21 the next 3 seasons. That's when they start thinking about making a change. There's appears to be only one coach in trouble London at Virginia.

From the B1G, there are plenty of folks who believe that this - unless there are significant turnarounds - this will be the last season for Hazell (Purdue), Edsall (MD), Beckman (Illinois), and Wilson (IU). Not to mention that there is an overwhelming chorus that want Ferentz (Iowa) out, as well. My guess is that of those five names, you'll see at least 3 of them gone by season's end.

And, regardless of what Dennis Dodd thinks (or just about anyone else), Flood is just about bullet-proof - for reasons that have been discussed in a number of threads before. He will be here next year, regardless of this season's record.

If you're thinking Flood, he's here for at least 3 years even if he goes 15-21 the next 3 seasons. That's when they start thinking about making a change. There's appears to be only one coach in trouble London at Virginia.
Disagree but it would also matter how he got to 15-21

what type of 15-21 would be acceptable?
well first the math doesn't work bc it elimates bowl games and basically assumes you win 5 per. My ppint was you could have a bad year this year but show growth over the next two especially if his recruiting contimes to improve. What does Franklin need to do over the next three years to keep his Job

some surprises:
McElwain a 2 and he hasn't even coached a game yet (from opening presser to hot seat)
Golden a 3 even though he's done so little with so much talent (and program is train wreck)
Fedora a 2 (see Golden)
Strong a 3 after 1 season

well first the math doesn't work bc it elimates bowl games and basically assumes you win 5 per. My ppint was you could have a bad year this year but show growth over the next two especially if his recruiting contimes to improve. What does Franklin need to do over the next three years to keep his Job

Yeah but if you have a bad year this year why would recruiting improve? Team improvement would be dependent on player development at that point I think

Id say Franklin needs to win 27 or more his next 3 years. Schedules are weak and the talent is flowing in, we should be pushing 10 wins every year

Dodd is out of his mind. Mike Leach has been at Wash St. for 3 years, is 12-25, won 3 games last year, and goes from a .5 to a 1? Washington state must have the lowest expectations in all of college football.

some surprises:
McElwain a 2 and he hasn't even coached a game yet (from opening presser to hot seat)
Golden a 3 even though he's done so little with so much talent (and program is train wreck)
Fedora a 2 (see Golden)
Strong a 3 after 1 season

A 2 means safe but you never know. So not sure how that's an unreasonable number. At a school like UF where they are used to winning, guys get very short leashes.

And Brian Kelly as a 2 is a joke. He's a 3, at least.

Yeah but if you have a bad year this year why would recruiting improve? Team improvement would be dependent on player development at that point I think

Id say Franklin needs to win 27 or more his next 3 years. Schedules are weak and the talent is flowing in, we should be pushing 10 wins every year
I agree, so who is your next coach going to be?

I agree, so who is your next coach going to be?

how is he suppose to predict who our coach would be in 3 years?........assuming Franklin fails accordingly based on the popular opinion around here.

how is he suppose to predict who our coach would be in 3 years?........assuming Franklin fails accordingly based on the popular opinion around here.
I don't think he will "fail" by most school's standards because your schedule blows and he can recruit. I also don't think he wins 9 per over the next three years. That being said, if I'm going to pay a guy 5 million a year and give him a cupcake schedule 6, 7, or 8 win type seasons at PSU with their built in advantages is a failure in my book.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
Edsall's extension is a show for recruiting. His buyout is low-if he fails this year, he's gone.

The new buyout actually doesn't go into effect until the 2016 season, so unless UMD wants to pay the current 2m buyout, Edsall will be around for at least two more seasons (which includes one with Haskins).

And if that's the case the new coach is going to have a roster full of 4 star Juniors and Seniors

I don't think he will "fail" by most school's standards because your schedule blows and he can recruit. I also don't think he wins 9 per over the next three years. That being said, if I'm going to pay a guy 5 million a year and give him a cupcake schedule 6, 7, or 8 win type seasons at PSU with their built in advantages is a failure in my book.

so is that the win total you're predicting the next 3 years for PSU? if that comes to fruition, then...I'd call that a fail based on expectations that comes w/a 4mm+ salary. that being said....I still wouldn't know who our coach would be.

so is that the win total you're predicting the next 3 years for PSU? if that comes to fruition, then...I'd call that a fail based on expectations that comes w/a 4mm+ salary. that being said....I still wouldn't know who our coach would be.
I don't think you will average 9 wins but more like 8 which includes a bowl game. Fans might be unhappy but your AD will keep him. 9 or 8 would be a real failure because that would be 4 or 5 losses every year which means 4-5th in the Big Ten East, for that huge coaches salaries.

Schiano averaged 9 wins 6 out of his last 7 seasons, 2005-2011, and Rutgers fans still wanted him fired and said he's not a game coach. No titles means a loser to many and 9 wins doesn't get you anything.

2005 Rutgers 7–5 4–3 3rd L Insight
2006 Rutgers 11–2 5–2 T–2nd W Texas 12 12
2007 Rutgers 8–5 3–4 T–5th W International
2008 Rutgers 8–5 5–2 T–2nd W Papajohns.com
2009 Rutgers 9–4 3–4 T–4th W St. Petersburg
2010 Rutgers 4–8 1–6 8th
2011 Rutgers 9–4 4–3 T–4th W Pinstripe

Last edited:
I don't think you will average 9 wins but more like 8 which includes a bowl game. Fans might be unhappy but your AD will keep him. 9 or 8 would be a real failure because that would be 4 or 5 losses every year which means 4-5th in the Big Ten East, for that huge coaches salaries.

yes...8-5/9-4 seasons with 4th/5th place finishes in the Big Ten East is not what PSU paid for.......especially in year 3-4. nobody will argue that.

If Flood consistently won 8-9 games and finished 4th-5th in the Big Ten East....he'd received a 10 year extension, as he should.

though, i'm pretty sure none of us can predict the future.....so we shall see.

yes...8-5/9-4 seasons with 4th/5th place finishes in the Big Ten East is not what PSU paid for.......especially in year 3-4. nobody will argue that.

If Flood consistently won 8-9 games and finished 4th-5th in the Big Ten East....he'd received a 10 year extension, as he should.

though, i'm pretty sure none of us can predict the future.....so we shall see.
That consultant you just hired, the former NFL Head coach, has to be paid more than $1 million a year that's more than Flood's salary.

Schiano averaged 9 wins 6 out of his last 7 seasons, 2005-2011, and Rutgers fans still wanted him fired and said he's not a game coach. No titles means a loser to many and 9 wins doesn't get you anything.

2010 Rutgers 4–8 1–6 8th

Most fans were not calling for Schiano to be fired. A vocal minority on a message board doesn't really represent the fans.

Not knocking Schiano here, he was the right coach at the right time. Repping NJ, and getting recruits to believe and built the program from being a laughingstock to respectable. He as a good man who cared about academics and didn't tolerate the "boys will be boys" attitude that most major college head coaches do. I will always be grateful to Greg for what he accomplished.

Having said that, we were not getting better after 2006. We were not beating good teams, we had bad records in conference and against other BCS teams, so the 9 wins Schiano was getting was a little misleading as we all know.

I don't think it was so much that people were calling for Schiano's head, just getting antsy that we never won the conference or went to a BCS bowl.

We are all hoping Flood succeeds. But, in any event, there is simply no money to replace him in the next couple of years with a high quality alternative so even 5-win seasons the next year or two, in my view, would not be a cause for his dismissal.

6-7 wins is all we are asking for Flood with only 1-2 Big Ten wins. Your expectation for Schiano would be like Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State for Penn State, good teams. So if Penn State doesn't beat those teams, he's a failure.

Rephrase this, don't understand your point. Who is the "we" and what expectations for Schiano are you talking about. thanks!

2010 Rutgers 4–8 1–6 8th

I will gladly admit that after the Insight loss at the end of the 2005 season, I felt that Schiano had given all he had to give for the program. I wanted him gone. And then I would never have witnessed the best live sporting event that I've attended. After that year, I've been real good about letting other people make the coaching hire/fire decisions because I'm clearly an idiot.

what type of 15-21 would be acceptable?

None of us as fans would be happy with 15-21, but there just isn't the $$$ and/or political climate right now to hire a high profile replacement... A distinction should be made between "acceptable" and "not significantly bad enough to get him fired".

Flood isn't going anywhere. Rutgers doesn't have big money to make a change and why take a chance on a complete unknown.

Flood isn't going anywhere. Rutgers doesn't have big money to make a change and why take a chance on a complete unknown.
And with the money for a new HC RU would be willing to spend , after letting Kyle go: " a complete unknown" is who they would hire,if not someone already on Flood's staff.

And with the money for a new HC RU would be willing to spend , after letting Kyle go: " a complete unknown" is who they would hire,if not someone already on Flood's staff.
There will be a time where Rutgers will have money for an up and coming if Flood fails. But under the current budget why make a change?

Rephrase this, don't understand your point. Who is the "we" and what expectations for Schiano are you talking about. thanks!
Schiano did average the 9 wins but to say it was against easy teams OCC or never beating West Virginia or winning the conference isn't fair. Almost every win for Flood will be easy OOC teams with only 1-2 big Ten wins and none of them being the powerhouse teams in the Big Ten.

There will be a time where Rutgers will have money for an up and coming if Flood fails. But under the current budget why make a change?

When the budget allows changing HCs if necessary, Flood will go or stay on his own merits and not for financial reasons.
Hopefully Kyle will have proven by then ,he can take RU to the next level and make it one of the top B1G programs.
I don't expect that to happen this season, but hope the road to success becomes clearer because of the way RU plays in 2015 against the top programs.

When the budget allows changing HCs if necessary, Flood will go or stay on his own merits and not for financial reasons.
Hopefully Kyle will have proven by then ,he can take RU to the next level and make it one of the top B1G programs.
I don't expect that to happen this season, but hope the road to success becomes clearer because of the way RU plays in 2015 against the top programs.
Huh. What??? Flood will stay for the next few years on financial reasons and will have no say when he is let go. It's not like LSU is looking to hire him away.

Huh. What??? Flood will stay for the next few years on financial reasons and will have no say when he is let go. It's not like LSU is looking to hire him away.

If Flood doesn't produce, RU won't want to spend what it takes to buy him out before his contract expires and hire a replacement
That's the financial reasons and Flood won't have a say in that decision. His teams performance will have the most say once RU feels it either has to extend him because they like the way he's running the show, or hire someone they think ( hope) will do a better job . Right now I feel Kyle has until the 2017 season ends , to prove he is the one that can make RU competitive with any of the programs they face in conference or out of it and the type of program that gets invited to the major bowl games .

If Kyle brings RU FB into the top tier of the B1G, you never know who will come calling, offering big bucks to coach there.
Right now Floods stock isn't high , but let RU do better than it did last season and look like a program on the rise, who knows if he'll be the next hot item sought after by top programs seeking a change .

I hope Flood is successful enough that Rutgers has to fight off other programs to keep him as the RU FB HC.

ADVERTISEMENT