ADVERTISEMENT

CONCACAF Gold Cup starts tonight

Kbee3

Hall of Famer
Aug 23, 2002
9:30 vs. Honduras
Can the men's team follow the lead of the women's team and bring home the cup ?

They will certainly be favored to do that, especially since Chicharito is out with a broken clavicle.

But, god knows, it will be painful to watch our back line after getting to see an excellent group of US defenders (Krieger, Johnston, Klingenberg, Sauerbrun) shut teams down.

Reactions: ron313
Looking forward to watching the US in the Gold Cup, and very proud of the US women, especially Carli, but Johnston was like a deer in the headlights against Germany and Japan.

Looking forward to watching the US in the Gold Cup, and very proud of the US women, especially Carli, but Johnston was like a deer in the headlights against Germany and Japan.
I don't know much about soccer but I feel they kept singling here out as being excellent.

I thought Johnston played very well. She had a few notable mishaps, including the own goal which really is just bad luck. Beyond that and the penalty against Germany, she was exceptional.

What is nice is she can handle the ball and great on set pieces when they push up.

Reactions: Bagarocks
At the highest level, soccer is normally a game of few goals. Johnston's primary role is defending. The foul she committed against Germany to give up a penalty, literally putting her hand on the woman's shoulder in a scoreless game, was unforgivable. She knew it too, as she was in tears afterwards. If Sasic didn't miss the first penalty kick in Germany's women's world cup history, Carli might not have had a chance for her heroics. In the final, Johnston was pretty much a disaster. She was badly burned on the first Japanese goal and headed the second one into her own net. I didn't notice her much in the earlier rounds which is probably a sign that she was playing OK. Maybe giving up the penalty messed with her head a little bit.

The final is in Philadelphia which makes it a great day trip. I think the US has a great shot to win it. The Ticos are without Navas thats gonna hurt their chances. Should be a fun tournament.

USA defense was great. Carli did not touch the ball the first few games but after that she dominated the offense.

The best thing that happened to the US was Rapinoe and Holliday picking up second yellow cards in the Columbia game. That forced Ellis to tinker with her tactics and push Carli more forward in the China game. As Alexi pointed out in the final, you had to wonder why they didn't have Carli playing in a more advanced position earlier. But, to give Ellis some credit, she finally did realize what was working and went all-in with the formation change and confirmation of Carli's more attacking role for the Germany and Japan games. Carli basically carried the team on her back through the knockout stages. It was incredibly wonderful to watch.

Sorry about hijacking the thread with the women's discussion, I'm still pumped up and it's fun to have a serious exchange about soccer. Getting back to the Gold Cup, I think the US brought a pretty strong team and has an excellent chance to win. I didn't realize the final was in Philly.

I was in Germany and in the stands in Koln to watch the USMNT beat the German Nat'l team. I'm pumped for this squad.

Also still pumped about the ladies.

Reactions: scarlet night
VERY excited for the Gold Cup. Hoping to see Yedlin and Zardes get some playing time. Those two are fun to watch.

The big key will be Bradley. If he plays the way he's been playing for the past two months or so the tournament should be ours. He's been totally world class lately.

I was in Germany and in the stands in Koln to watch the USMNT beat the German Nat'l team. I'm pumped for this squad.

Also still pumped about the ladies.

That's great JERSEYROOTS, it must have been fun. I was in the stands in Nuremberg during the 2006 World Cup when the US played Ghana. The result wasn't so great that day, but taking part in the U-S-A chants with a sizable American contingent in a foreign country was an amazing experience.

BTW, I think you still need to have one of the approved cable providers (the same way ESPN3 works) but you can also watch Fox Sports 1 with the Fox Sports Go app.

The Gold Cup is significant since if we win, we will be in the 2017 Confederation Cup. I believe that if we do not win, we (as winner in 2013) will play this years winner in a 1 game playoff for the spot.

As far as the women - Johnson was excellent but her play dipped in the last 2 games. But all in all a very good tournament for her.

The best thing that happened to the US was Rapinoe and Holliday picking up second yellow cards in the Columbia game. That forced Ellis to tinker with her tactics and push Carli more forward in the China game. As Alexi pointed out in the final, you had to wonder why they didn't have Carli playing in a more advanced position earlier. But, to give Ellis some credit, she finally did realize what was working and went all-in with the formation change and confirmation of Carli's more attacking role for the Germany and Japan games. Carli basically carried the team on her back through the knockout stages. It was incredibly wonderful to watch.

I wonder is the strategy was to have Wambach start the earlier games knowing that when she was in, that she would be the focal point of the offense. If the coach felt that we could advance using this strategy, then switch to Lloyd as the main offensive weapon in the knockout stage, other teams would be caught unprepared. With Wambach in there, the other team has to defend against the header.Lloyd showed the ability to score from anywhere on the pitch. Teams could not defend the 2 players the same way.

I wonder is the strategy was to have Wambach start the earlier games knowing that when she was in, that she would be the focal point of the offense. If the coach felt that we could advance using this strategy, then switch to Lloyd as the main offensive weapon in the knockout stage, other teams would be caught unprepared. With Wambach in there, the other team has to defend against the header.Lloyd showed the ability to score from anywhere on the pitch. Teams could not defend the 2 players the same way.

That's an interesting idea BigLou, if you're right it worked brilliantly.

I thought Johnston played well throughout the tournament, though she was really at the top of her game early on and faded a bit at the end. The US allowed just 1 goal prior to the final and shut out a Germany team that had scored 20 goals prior to our game. The play of Johnston and Sauerbrunn were a big reason for that, since Solo really didn't have many shots she was called on to defend. The penalty was a bad error - first she got beat, then she compounded it by pulling down the striker - but she had a good tournament otherwise, throughout. She was even on the shortlist for the Golden Ball.

Julie Johnston was one of the best players in the tournament until the last game. She has a terrible championship game but besides that was a shutdown defender and also played a very big role in the attack. I have no idea what some of you were watching.

Pumped for tonight.

Johnson had an overall excellent tournament. Holiday retiring is a big loss.
Yes Holliday was a solid player, but I don't think I'd say her retirement is a big loss. Morgan Brian looked great for being the youngest player in the tournament - very calm and poised on the ball and just played well beyond her years. Her and Carli should be able to hold down the central midfield for the next few years at least (though Carli is definitely getting up there in age). Once Carli retires I could see us moving to a 4-3-3 with Leroux, Morgan, and Press up top...Scary speed. In the midfield you could have Rapinoe, Brian, and Heath or someone else out wide. I think that would be a great option to get our best players on the field, as long as they are instructed well on how to play the formation.

As far as the men's game, I'm watching! Like the starting lineup - some guys that I'd like to see sub in would be Diskerud and Johannsen at some point.

Honduras is looking very sharp on both ends of the field. US unable or unwilling to maintain possession.

Also, the ref appears like he's not in control of this match at all.

Besides the big names like Bradley, Dempsey, and Altidore who are the top players? Beckerman and Brooks I know. Who else?

Right now, Beckerman is the player of the match for US. Least polished player on the field, but he's all over the place getting the job done.

Besides the big names like Bradley, Dempsey, and Altidore who are the top players? Beckerman and Brooks I know. Who else?
Fabian Johnson and Timmy Chandler started at the outside back spots at the last world cup and are in their prime. Yedlin and Brooks are young guys that played as well at the World Cup and will be playing a lot in the future. Zardes is a bright attacking player. Alvarado is young and was kind of thrown into the fire during the Germany/Netherlands friendlies - didn't really impress me but hasn't been terrible. Diskerud and Johannsen are young guys that I'd like to see off the bench.

I think Bradley, Dempsey and Altidore are the top players in addition to being the "name" players. Plenty of good players besides them, but the chemistry is all wrong right now.

You can go here and view the roster (along with where the players play their club ball). (Roster)

Edit: You might have to click the "roster" tab depending on what browser/Javascript settings you have.

Right now, Beckerman is the player of the match for US. Least polished player on the field, but he's all over the place getting the job done.
For sure, Beckerman's been phenomenal. Everyone always cringes when he gets called in, but if Klinsmann could find someone that does the job better, he'd be there. Beckerman is perfectly suited for that position and just really knows what he's doing. Love Johnson getting forward as well. He's always dangerous and creating chances.

Beckerman flipped a switch during the World Cup and became an improbably decent DM. He's softened the blow of Jones getting way older.

For sure, Beckerman's been phenomenal. Everyone always cringes when he gets called in, but if Klinsmann could find someone that does the job better, he'd be there. Beckerman is perfectly suited for that position and just really knows what he's doing. Love Johnson getting forward as well. He's always dangerous and creating chances.

He has a phenomenal work rate and a knack for being disruptive on defense. He also makes these awkward plays in the attack where it looks like he's going to lose the ball but it magically turns into a great entry pass. Never has there been a US player that looks so damn bad while playing so damn well.

Having said all that, he's looking a bit shaky at the moment. A couple brain-farts on defense and he's looking a bit heavy footed on his passes.

He has a phenomenal work rate and a knack for being disruptive on defense. He also makes these awkward plays in the attack where it looks like he's going to lose the ball but it magically turns into a great entry pass. Never has there been a US player that looks so damn bad while playing so damn well.

Having said all that, he's looking a bit shaky at the moment. A couple brain-farts on defense and he's looking a bit heavy footed on his passes.
Mildone, your last paragraph describes almost all of our guys so far :p

Reactions: mildone
ADVERTISEMENT