ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Sanders ESPN dunk over 7'6" friend

Wow, that was great.
eek.r191677.gif

Maybe I am in the minority here......

I am getting sick of seeing highlight videos. Rutgers basketball does not get turned around by cross over dribbles and dunks. It certainly doesn't get turned around by individual offensive play.

Show me a video of a player boxing out and getting a defensive rebound OR a player getting over a high screen and staying in front of his defender. This is how Rutgers basketball gets turned around.

I really hope Sanders doesn't go down the same road as previous highly rated recruits. As a Rutgers fan it is hard not to ask yourself why other schools didn't go after Rosario, Chandler, and Sanders hard when you know they have ability.

There is no I in team, Sanders will show boat his handles and dunking ability when he gets a chance to improve his own stock but will he make the team better on the court? Might be the reason more schools were not involved in his recruitment, college coaches know that their performance is judged on wins and losses on the court. At Rutgers there is not as much pressure to win games as the last two seasons are good examples.

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:

I am getting sick of seeing highlight videos. Rutgers basketball does not get turned around by cross over dribbles and dunks. It certainly doesn't get turned around by individual offensive play.

Show me a video of a player boxing out and getting a defensive rebound OR a player getting over a high screen and staying in front of his defender. This is how Rutgers basketball gets turned around.

I really hope Sanders doesn't go down the same road as previous highly rated recruits. As a Rutgers fan it is hard not to ask yourself why other schools didn't go after Rosario, Chandler, and Sanders hard when you know they have ability.
it was a dunk contest...

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
Same camp as you,fig.

Dunks don't translate well to the college game. All these AAU dunk videos, no one is playing defense and the lane is as open as the garden state park way at 2 in the morning. Wally judge, Bishop Daniels- dunk videos.

Corey Sanders is an awesome kid, a great player, but this big ten league is going to take something else. There won't be as many turnovers for transition dunks, and the lane won't be the HOV.

Not to take away anything from Sanders,though. He has a nice pass, seems like a hell of a kid(really, better than most we've got to come here), and is a tough guard that will be able to finish.

I just don't like dunk videos i guess. I don't see anything that translates really well to the college game.

Part of the problem is the basketball culture. All you see on youtube is SICK HIGHLIGHT VIDEO-DUNKS. SICK HANDLES.

The press doesn't get broken because of a SICK handle. All these handles are sometimes the reason we have 20 turnovers in a game. The game is putting emphasis on the wrong things.

Still, Sanders will come in here and play a decent game. I have realistic expectations for him. I do take into consideration what these AAU players are used to and what the big ten demands. It is a huge transition.

Grayson Allen won the McD's dunk contest last season and he was a pretty fundamentally sound player at Duke. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
when I hear about a Sanders winning a dunk contest I think about the one named Sam that got hurt doing it... please stop. We need a healthy team ..

I agree with those who say these highlights have nothing to do with RU winning, but it does look like Sanders will be a very good player.

THe athleticism is crazy though, his head was above the rim and it appeared his head hit the rim as well.

Jeez, I can't believe it. Is everything about every player we recruit and/or sign going to be hit-picked and complained about? To the point of we have no business giving the kid a scholarship. NEWSFLASH: The perfect BB player is not coming here. He won't even look at here. EVERY player is going to have some blemishes, maybe some warts. EVERY player we recruit isn't going to be the best shooter, rebounder, assist man, defender, leader, locker room presence, and coachable. We ain't getting a player who's ONE of these.

Be grateful a kid of his apparent talent is going to come here, who isn't a criminal, rapist, cheater, or overall a**hole. He's a 17 year old kid who hasn't grown up in a particularly good environment, with the best people around to influence him, who'll hopefully learn the skills to get by and compete in this world (besides bb). Maybe he's vaguely aware of this, but it's up to Eddie, the coaches, his teammates, et al to guide this kid. Yes, KID. And hopefully he will concurrently improve his bb skills. And we'll win some games, and then some more.

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:

First...Sanders is a pretty darn good HS player...but as we every good HS player...not all perform at a high level in college.

Highlight tapes are just that...highlight, i.e. show the best play(s) from games (sometimes practices/workouts, etc...), but every sharp coach in basketball (and football especially), normally asks for GAME TAPE...which are entire games...so coaches can watch what players do on both ends of the court...what they do without the ball...how they even interact during timeouts, time on the bench, with others, take to coaching, etc...but almost none of them gets posted online...as casual fans, who only want to spend 15-30-60 secs watching clips, WANT highlights that WOW them.

Sanders certainly has the tool to be a very good college player...and maybe by Year 2 or Year 3...he can be a major impact player for RU.

This post was edited on 4/14 8:59 AM by Knight_Light

Besides the dunking, there appear to be intangibles that Sanders possesses. A moxie, a cockiness. Infectious personality. I saw it in Phil Sellers years ago. The difference between him and Rosario and Chandler, is that Corey is a point guard. On a team devoid of one. Which puts him immediately in a position of leadership. And with Etou, Mack, and Jack gone, not a whole lot of veterans in the way. This could be his team from the get go. And I would think not a better Head Coach to guide him than Eddie.

Originally posted by DocRU:

Besides the dunking, there appear to be intangibles that Sanders possesses. A moxie, a cockiness. Infectious personality. I saw it in Phil Sellers years ago. The difference between him and Rosario and Chandler, is that Corey is a point guard. On a team devoid of one. Which puts him immediately in a position of leadership. And with Etou, Mack, and Jack gone, not a whole lot of veterans in the way. This could be his team from the get go. And I would think not a better Head Coach to guide him than Eddie.
Spot on.

ADVERTISEMENT