ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Hurley watched Deshawn Freeman today.

knights1212

Heisman Winner
Sep 9, 2003
I just read this a few minutes ago that Danny and I guess an asst., Coach Murray watched Deshawn today.

Originally posted by knights1212:

I just read this a few minutes ago that Danny and I guess an asst., Coach Murray watched Deshawn today.
Where was he watching Freeman? I thought the season was over.

Would be something if they landed him over RU & ASU ( heard they offered)
Could be Danny was looking at him for URI and letting Bobby know what he thought of the kid if Deshawn wants to
go to a p-5 program.

It was stated on twitter today that Danny Hurley & Luke Murray were at Hutchison J.C. today to watch Deshawn Freeman. I would think if two Rhode Island coaches watched him today that they would be interested in him for their own team.

It was stated on twitter today that Danny Hurley & Luke Murray were at Hutchison J.C. today to watch Deshawn Freeman. I would think if two Rhode Island coaches watched him today that they would be interested in him for their own team.
I'm sure they were, but only thinking if they couldn't land him ,ASU might get a scouting report of what Danny saw and thought of Deshawn because of Bobby Hurley being ASU's HC.

A clear sign of how bad a reputation our program has if guys like Freeman (and I guess Butts) are selecting URI over us. ASU I get but URI? I guess a newer gym and a better coach go a long way.

Minutes, record, facilities. That seems to be what recruits are looking for. Oh, and a nike shoe deal. It's going to be hard to contend with the warm weather of asu and a winning program out in the cold uri.

If the staff pulls this one off, we should all take a trip to piscataway and congratulate them. This one seems to be a long shot.

Originally posted by rufeelinit:
A clear sign of how bad a reputation our program has if guys like Freeman (and I guess Butts) are selecting URI over us. ASU I get but URI? I guess a newer gym and a better coach go a long way.
It will take a lot of time and effort to make RU a destination.
Jordan needs more than the two years he has been here to make Rutgers considered a far better option than
some of the schools that should be considered lesser programs.
Also Eddie needs more support from the administration to make RU a better option
Upgrading the facilities would go a long way to show top talent ( or just below it) that RU is committed to
having a good MBB program.
Without that happening RU will fight to get mid level type of recruits from picking winning mid level programs over them and
JUCO players looking for a D-1A home

Rutgers has two scholarships available on a squad desperate for better talent.Its hard to believe that there aren't any talented players interested in playing in the B1G for a team that has lots of playing time to offer.We all know the reasons why but what will it take to change the status quo ?

I try not too caught up in our RAC house of horrors but threads like this make it even sadder to consider that, as incomplete as we are, we cannot get a guy like this to look at us and say "instant playing time I am in." ...
frown.r191677.gif

Did anyone mention to Danny that his brother was a better player, and now apparently a better coach than he is???

2 years on the job in Buffalo and Bobby's in a Power Conference already.

No reason a good coach can't get talent to RU. Facilitis make recruiting tougher but our staff is doing a lousy job. I hope they can turn things around but if 2016 recruiting g doesn't improve they need to be let go.

Rothstein reporting it. And for those short changing Buzz Williams because he is coaching Va Tech which is not an ACC powerhouse I would be careful. Guy is a proven coach who has a terrific first class coming in.

Originally posted by Th3Hype:
Hearing Freeman will "likely" commit on his visit to VTech this weekend.
Could happen, will beleive it "if and when it does".
ASU might still be in play and RU could sneak in there as far as I can tell..
But don't expect to see "Th3Hype "look for rRU to suceed in getting any recruit that other schools are trying to get too.

But that's just my opinion and won't claim I know more than "Th3Hype " because that would be a lie.
Just think "Th3Hype " is down on the RU MBB program and looks for the dark instead of seeing any brightness
where RU MBB is concerned . ( Think Hype isn't alone in that department ).

Never want to lose any recruit at the 11th hour, but Buzz Williams and JUCO's are typically what he has historically landed while at Marquette....I think VTech was considering some of the recent VCU decommits that are all up for grabs, once Shaka Smart left for Texas a couple of weeks ago, there were some intriguing kids that could land in Blacksburg.

I don't know but there appears to be more 5th year rental names popping up and transfer oportunities into Power 5 schools that are just hard to keep up with....ideally Freeman is here at RU but I think the number of available quick fixes is actually increasing vs decreasing, which makes the spring signing period more of a hot market than it is usually expected to be.

Sometimes being first in line and having everything nice and neat and wrapped up early, takes at lot of big name schools out of the market for these late signee possibilities. It also sends a questionable signal to the kids you have already signed in the fall, when you suddenly chase another similar target 5 months later, just because that kid decommits or a 5th year rental player becomes available and might be better than what you have as a freshman coming in the door. Coaching staffs are in a win-now mentality and if given a choice of a one-year rental vs praying that a freshman comes in on file, they'd take the 5th year senior each time.

Originally posted by RU_DIO:
No reason a good coach can't get talent to RU. Facilitis make recruiting tougher but our staff is doing a lousy job. I hope they can turn things around but if 2016 recruiting g doesn't improve they need to be let go.
Read your first sentence. Then read the first half of your second sentence. Then reread your first sentence.

Perhaps there is at least one reason. I'm not saying it can't be overcome but to say there is no reason when the last 4, arguably 5, coaches have struggled seems disingenuous.

A month ago I would have said RU on this one but don't believe so now from what I hear.

Originally posted by michstfr:

A month ago I would have said RU on this one but don't believe so now from what I hear.

mich, I told these guys a few weeks back Freeman could possibly end up at RU, but with VT swooping in and getting the visit doesn't bode well for RU. He will be a Hokie before its all said and done.

Originally posted by michstfr:

mich, I told these guys a few weeks back Freeman could possibly end up at RU, but with VT swooping in and getting the visit doesn't bode well for RU. He will be a Hokie before its all said and done.

Yes you said that in a reply to:

Originally posted by RUKeystone:
Wouldn't mind landing Freeman, Laurent
and Mineland. A guy can dream

------------------------------------------

Originally posted by higgins3:
Not a bad deal we have right now. My most
realistic dream would be minland and laurent. I might take another nap later on
today though.

--------------------

Your reply:

...keep dreaming....only one RU has a
remote shot with is Freeman.

Laurent committed, Mineland going Prep ( so claim you're right), but don't
call "RU has a remote shot with is Freeman. " a prediction he'll pick RU,but a backhand shot about RU's chances to land Freeman. Could possibly from remote chance is a stretch in my opinion.
Freeman might go to VT or not, but all isn't said and done and he might go where I hope he does.
I'm sure there are SN posters that might feel differently than me , but doubt any RU fan does.

All I can say about the way you (Hype) portray, in your messages on this board , the RU MBB program is : look for the negative, minimize the positive or ignore it..

Some of you guys just need to let it go. The man is just sharing his opinions and what he knows. Tell me you haven't been negatively down on hoops. I've been a member of this board since 1999. I'm freaking numb but, wish the best for RU bball but, I'll beleive it when I see it. Have a good one.

I guess the next time Danny or Bobby Hurley go to watch Freeman play it will be a Rutgers game....lol

Some of you guys just need to let it go. The man is just sharing his opinions and what he knows. Tell me you haven't been negatively down on hoops. I've been a member of this board since 1999. I'm freaking numb but, wish the best for RU bball but, I'll beleive it when I see it. Have a good one.
But when someone says "keep dreaming", that is more than just sharing his opinion. It is not what is said, but how that makes a huge difference on a message board.

Just goes to show you how fluid all recruiting is & that no one's sources are perfect. Nice get EJ.

ADVERTISEMENT