ADVERTISEMENT

Darian Dailey arrested in Sarasota, FL

Totally agree that if he did what the article says he did.... then Dailey deserves to get booted off the team and also he deserves to get in some serious legal trouble as we just cannot have people feeling afraid to go on bike rides because somebody might pull over and put a gun in their face.

BUT and this is a big BUT...

This is America and you are innocent until proven guilty. I disagree that would should suspend him now, figure out everything, and then decide if he is innocent or guilty. I disagree with this course of action because this is essentially finding him guilty and punishing him(i.e kicking him off the team) before we even know all of the facts in the case.

Flood doesn't have the option of waiting too long. He has to get as much information he can in the next few days, talk to Daily, and make some kind of decision. At best, sounds like he was there, as he was identified by the victim, so unless he has an airtight alibi, sounds like he is in real trouble.

Totally agree that if he did what the article says he did.... then Dailey deserves to get booted off the team and also he deserves to get in some serious legal trouble as we just cannot have people feeling afraid to go on bike rides because somebody might pull over and put a gun in their face.

This is America and you are innocent until proven guilty. I disagree that would should suspend him now, figure out everything, and then decide if he is innocent or guilty. I disagree with this course of action because this is essentially finding him guilty and punishing him(i.e kicking him off the team) before we even know all of the facts in the case.

it's not Floods job to decide if he's guilty, Nelson got in a bar fight and was kicked off, this is armed robbery. He's gone

Based on the way Rutgers has handled situations like this in the past, I think that Dailey IS going to be suspended..... but I still am not sure it is the best way to handle these situations.

What if this kid is innocent? You have just punished a kid for something he did not do.

If the kid is innocent then he will be re-instated. You can't keep kids who have been charged with felonies on the roster.

Flood doesn't have the option of waiting too long. He has to get as much information he can in the next few days, talk to Daily, and make some kind of decision. At best, sounds like he was there, as he was identified by the victim, so unless he has an airtight alibi, sounds like he is in real trouble.

Flood does have time. Dailey will not be enrolling for the summer session that starts on Tuesday. It not like it happened in October when he was enrolled in school and taking part in team activities.

If this kid was a walk on DB not on the depth chart would we be lobbying for letting the criminal case play out before kicking him off the team ? The 4.35 forty is blinding the judgment of some of our fans. And some are saying that armed robbery is just a mistake by a 19 year old kid ?

Already identified in a police lineup by the victim ? Buh bye Darian Dailey.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
If this kid was a walk on DB not on the depth chart would we be lobbying for letting the criminal case play out before kicking him off the team ? The 4.35 forty is blinding the judgment of some of our fans. And some are saying that armed robbery is just a mistake by a 19 year old kid ?

Already identified in a police lineup by the victim ? Buh bye Darian Dailey.

It has been less than 24 hours, let KF and the administration get the facts before making a decision. It has nothing to do with his status on the team.

Tha said, it does not look good Dailey.

Reactions: MikeRU1766
it's not Floods job to decide if he's guilty, Nelson got in a bar fight and was kicked off, this is armed robbery. He's gone

You hit the nail right on the head when you say it is not Flood's job to decide if he is guilty (This is the legal system's job). BUT if Flood kicks him off the team that is exactly what he is doing..... he has now punished the kid thereby insinuating guilt.

All I am saying is that let's not jump to conclusions and just assume the kid is guilty. This is America and he is assumed INNOCENT. And until he is proven to be guilty IN A COURT OF LAW... I find it kind of unfair that a player can be punished for something while there is still a chance of him being completely innocent of the charges!

Jurisprudence counts in courtrooms. It doesn't count anywhere else. It's not up to Flood to wait for a determination of innocence or guilt, nor does he need to occupy himself with a presumption of innocence. The kid was ID'd, along with his friend, as the perpetrators of a felony involving a firearm. He's done.

Apologize if this is insincere, but the kids is 19. He should no right from wrong at this age.

Kick him off the team. I don't want a portion of my season ticket money giving this kid a free education. Sorry.

If it turns out he's innocent, I apologize.

Agreed. Innocent until proven guilty but that does not apply to a football opportunity. Hope he straightens himself out elsewhere.

Yeah all I am thinking is that we all should slow down a little bit when it comes to making life altering decisions for a player's future. Like the one previous poster said.... it hasn't even been 24 hours since this incident has been reported.

Yeah all I am thinking is that we all should slow down a little bit when it comes to making life altering decisions for a player's future. Like the one previous poster said.... it hasn't even been 24 hours since this incident has been reported.

Why?

Life is simple - if you don't want to run the risk of getting your gig jammed up, then don't put yourself in that position.

Absent a case of mistaken identity - which seems very unlikely since the cops aren't going to charge somebody who has a legitimate alibi - it's pretty certain that Dailey put himself in a position to get charged.

Put simply, he didn't respect the opportunity he was given here at Rutgers.

Ergo, he isn't the kind of person we want on the team.

As @RUScrew85 said, I hope he gets his act together. But it won't be here.

Flood does have time. Dailey will not be enrolling for the summer session that starts on Tuesday. It not like it happened in October when he was enrolled in school and taking part in team activities.

He as identified at the scene of an armed robbery, how long do you think FLood is going to wait?

Do anything that brings this kind of negative attention to the Rutgers name.. you're gone.. and should be.

Student athletes have more demands on them.. they should know that being out at 2AM and hanging around with a thug (assuming he had the gun only as a "best case" scenario) is not what Student Athletes should be doing whether or not they end up committing a crime.

Nothing good happens after midnight that couldn't have happened earlier. Go home.. go to bed and read about your buddy's arrest the next morning in the paper.

He as identified at the scene of an armed robbery, how long do you think FLood is going to wait?

Seriously, he was one trigger pull away from murder. Robbing someone with a gun is no small matter. Later kid. Good luck elsewhere.

Unless you guys are OK with running a program like UNC, FSU or PSU the kid's gotta go.

His Rutgers status is the least of his worries. He's been positively identified and Florida has a 10-20-life rule. Brandish a gun in the commission of a felony and it's 10 years minimum. He's screwed.

His Rutgers status is the least of his worries. He's been positively identified and Florida has a 10-20-life rule. Brandish a gun in the commission of a felony and it's 10 years minimum. He's screwed.

You would think with laws so strong people would use their brain and just not break them. It's not hard to avoid committing armed robbery, at least it wasn't a home invasion where much worse could've happened.

He should be suspended from the team ,which is an extra curricular activity and subject to the same rules and regulations every RU student has to adhere to.
Suspended from team doesn't mean he's losing his scholarship, for now, but not allowed to represent RU until this matter is settled or enough information is obtained in order for Flood to maker a permanent decision.

Also Darian might be subject to RU's student code of conduct about this armed robbery issue , which might have an impact on whether he will continue as a student or not.
But Flood and RU have every right to pull any student/athlete's scholarship if that player gets arrested for a serious crime like armed robbery.

Exactly. Happens everywhere. Just in the SEC a lot more :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All programs have these issues, but not all programs handle them the right way. We have been firm in our handling of off the field issues - which is what happens when you have good people in your program.

Its really tough for any program to make sure all of their kids stay out of trouble.

Reactions: KT71
Kid is gone. Just being there is bad enough. When you are a scholarship athlete you need to be held to higher standards. If he participated or not, he put himself in a situation where he needed to be above it

I never understood how some of these athletes could make such dumb decisions. You have a full ride to play football. Why are you robbing someone with a gun? Doesn't something go off in your head that says this is a bad idea? Wtf?!? I get how a guy might get in a fight in the heat of the moment type thing. But this had to be planned out. He had time leading up to it in which he could have bailed, and realize what he was doing was wrong. But he didn't.

I just don't get it. Why does our name need to be in the headline? What about the other kid. Why not a headline with his current status? It's a Florida paper. I could almost see if it happened in NJ but it is fk'in Florida. It's like we have this media black cloud. I guess it is what it is.

You have to remember that HS and College Football in Sarasota/Bradenton area is HUGE...so its not surprising when a former local star gets arrested that it would make headlines.

It is Memorial Day weekend - so give him at least one business day - suspect that the essential initial phone conferences have already happened - just need legal to get official documentation from FL & administration to dot i's and cross t's and will bet that by 2:00pm on Tuesday an official statement will come out.

It sounds like a train wreck no matter how the truth turns out - even if it is a case where they are over blowing the case against Dailey in an effort to get him to spill his guts - it sounds like he is so tangled up in this that he will not be leaving the state of Florida for a long time.

You hit the nail right on the head when you say it is not Flood's job to decide if he is guilty (This is the legal system's job). BUT if Flood kicks him off the team that is exactly what he is doing..... he has now punished the kid thereby insinuating guilt.

All I am saying is that let's not jump to conclusions and just assume the kid is guilty. This is America and he is assumed INNOCENT. And until he is proven to be guilty IN A COURT OF LAW... I find it kind of unfair that a player can be punished for something while there is still a chance of him being completely innocent of the charges :cry::cry::cry:

I have no idea whether the young man has a "thug-like" personality or is just an "impulsive dumb-ass". It was obviously pretty stupid to rob someone in this manner without trying to hide his identity and then to drive off without even imagining the victim might be able to ID the car and take down the license plate. In a way, they were lucky the victim did not try to resist, because it isn't hard to imagine the gun going off with deadly assault then being the charge.

I would think a serious criminal-type personality would choose a more lucrative venue and be far more stealthy about it., but maybe it is just me giving the young man the benefit of the doubt. Young people do know right from wrong, but lots of otherwise moral young people do stupid, illegal stuff just to impress their friends.

I am not going to judge the young man, but he is going to have to suffer the consequences of his actions, whether the actions were vicious or stupid or both.
I doubt he will ever play ball at RU, but I have to hope he can get his life back in order at some point. No one will benefit if he becomes a society outcast after this.

I have no idea whether the young man has a "thug-like" personality or is just an "impulsive dumb-ass". It was obviously pretty stupid to rob someone in this manner without trying to hide his identity and then to drive off without even imagining the victim might be able to ID the car and take down the license plate. In a way, they were lucky the victim did not try to resist, because it isn't hard to imagine the gun going off with deadly assault then being the charge.

I would think a serious criminal-type personality would choose a more lucrative venue and be far more stealthy about it., but maybe it is just me giving the young man the benefit of the doubt. Young people do know right from wrong, but lots of otherwise moral young people do stupid, illegal stuff just to impress their friends.

I am not going to judge the young man, but he is going to have to suffer the consequences of his actions, whether the actions were vicious or stupid or both.
I doubt he will ever play ball at RU, but I have to hope he can get his life back in order at some point. No one will benefit if he becomes a society outcast after this.

I agree with this poster's last sentence... nobody benefits if this player has to leave Rutgers and go home and possibly never obtain his college degree and will possibly have to struggle the rest of his life.

For this reason I think we have to truly understand the gravity of this situation and just be patient and not rush to any decisions.

OF COURSE if he is guilty of putting a gun to somebody and robbing them then he has to go and also he has to face some sort of legal punishment because we just CANNOT have this sort of thing happening.

BUT what if the situation was not as bad for him specifically as it might seem at first glance...

Hypothetically what if him and his friends had been hanging out all night and he was getting a ride home from his buddy. While sitting in the passenger seat, his buddy who is driving him home all of a sudden stops the car in front of a bike rider and pulls a gun out from under the driver's seat and goes and robs the bike rider before Dailey even knows what is happening. Now the biker is obviously able to see the gunman as well as Dailey, but in reality Dailey had no control over the situation.*** Again the previous little story I just wrote is TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL! I only wrote it to show how somebody could be caught up in an unfortunate situation like this, but still be innocent. (Small probability I know, I know, but still being in the wrong place at the wrong time like this DOES HAPPEN)

So yeah all in all I just think we should be patient with this and I hope Flood does not make a rash decision based on initial news reports. But if it does comes out that he did do it then by all means he deserves to be kicked off the team, kicked out of the college, and do some jail time. But hopefully we do not rush into making that decision as it is obviously a LIFE CHANGER for not only Dailey, but also his family.

So if he is innocent he isn't FAMILY anymore ?????

EXACTLY! This kid wears the Scarlet, White, and Black and sacrifices his time and body so that we all can go and enjoy winning some football games. The kid makes major sacrifices and I am just saying the least we can do for him as part of our F.A.M.I.L.Y as well as just a fellow human being is to all take a step back and be patient and let all of the facts play out before making a life altering decision that will will affect this young man and his family FOREVER.

I agree with this poster's last sentence... nobody benefits if this player has to leave Rutgers and go home and possibly never obtain his college degree and will possibly have to struggle the rest of his life.

For this reason I think we have to truly understand the gravity of this situation and just be patient and not rush to any decisions.

OF COURSE if he is guilty of putting a gun to somebody and robbing them then he has to go and also he has to face some sort of legal punishment because we just CANNOT have this sort of thing happening.

BUT what if the situation was not as bad for him specifically as it might seem at first glance...

Hypothetically what if him and his friends had been hanging out all night and he was getting a ride home from his buddy. While sitting in the passenger seat, his buddy who is driving him home all of a sudden stops the car in front of a bike rider and pulls a gun out from under the driver's seat and goes and robs the bike rider before Dailey even knows what is happening. Now the biker is obviously able to see the gunman as well as Dailey, but in reality Dailey had no control over the situation.*** Again the previous little story I just wrote is TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL! I only wrote it to show how somebody could be caught up in an unfortunate situation like this, but still be innocent. (Small probability I know, I know, but still being in the wrong place at the wrong time like this DOES HAPPEN)

So yeah all in all I just think we should be patient with this and I hope Flood does not make a rash decision based on initial news reports. But if it does comes out that he did do it then by all means he deserves to be kicked off the team, kicked out of the college, and do some jail time. But hopefully we do not rush into making that decision as it is obviously a LIFE CHANGER for not only Dailey, but also his family.

Except that's not what happened. They got out of the car and confronted the cyclist. If Dailey wanted to not participate in the robbery he would have stayed in the car.

Or chosen not to hang out at 2 in the morning with a guy who carries a handgun.

"Hypothetically " they could have been short of cash and seen what they thought to be an easy mark and decided to rob that person..
I don't know if that's true , but just as likely as being an innocent bystander dragged down by the hardened criminal he accepted a ride home from
The kid might have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, or made that place himself by deciding to rob what he and his friend considered easy prey.
There's no need to judge Dailey now, but a need to take action to protect the integrity of RU FB and act accordingly.
Darian was identified as an armed robber and though innocent until proven guilty, he is in a situation that requires action by Flood and
not an issue that can be ignored for long.
Suspending him until enough info comes out that will show he deserves to be on the RU FB team or kicked off of it is the only way to
handle Dailey's arrest.

Innocent or guilty, Darian was arrested for a major crime and that must be the main consideration , not speculating what might or might not have happened leading up to the arrest and a players being accused and arrested for being involved in a major crime is the only thing that matters when Flood decides what RU's course of action should be, until the kid gets his day in court..

The victim gave the police the license plate number of the car driven by the suspects and then Darian was positively identified by the victim. And we're talking armed robbery here.

Heck, it probably wouldn't even matter if Flood kicked him off the team (which he obviously will). Sounds like Darian may very well spend he's redshirt freshman year on the bench ... of a prison cell.

"Don't rush to judgement" is an ironic statement coming from those who call FSU, Alabama, etc. "loose cannon" programs for doing what these posters are suggesting that RU do. Also ironic, considering these posters were calling Jamies Winston a thug before the trial.

If Rutgers football wants to be the program that its fans are convinced that it is, he has to go immediately.

Reactions: Knight_Light
There are some strange loose ends with all of this - or just wild mega-stupidity.
Very strong chance that the kid is gone from the program in the next 24 - 48 hours because it is hard to imagine a scenario that places him in a dramatically different light... dramatic enough to save him (basically, the victim would have to step up and swear that he made it all up )

Key Questions:
(1.) was the reported handgun recovered & is it in the hands of the police? - or is the existence of the handgun entirely based upon the victim's recounting of events?
(2.) was there any prior acquaintance (or connections) between the victim & Darin Dailey .... or between the victim & Trazelle A. Johnson
(3.) How much money was reported to be stolen? was it recovered?
(4.) What had they been up to in the 6 hours prior to the 2:00 AM incident?
(5.) What is the story on Trazelle A. Johnson - history of arrests? or clean record?
(6.) What is the story on Darin - is he a kid with a sketchy history with local law enforcement? or is he squeaky clean?

strange? - or stupid to the max?-
- Who robs some random guy riding on a bicycle ... on a bicycle ? .... at 2:00 AM ?
- Why would you think that a guy riding a bicycle at 2:00 AM would have any money ? .... unless you had an idea who he was ... and knew he was carrying cash
- Why would you drive up to him in your car - wave a gun around , take his money & then just drive away with your license plate on display ( really mega stupid)

Just from the general sense of things - it would seem that Darin Dailey is unlikely to remain on the RU roster - Remember, playing football & having a scholarship are earned 'honors' - they are not 'inalienable rights' - it is made very clear to players that it is their responsibility to make sure that they do not put themselves in highly questionable situations. Players often get suspended or dropped from teams when they are in a major situation - and they can be reinstated if it turns out that they were not responsible for / involved in the situation - or it was a fabrication.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Except that's not what happened. They got out of the car and confronted the cyclist. If Dailey wanted to not participate in the robbery he would have stayed in the car.

Or chosen not to hang out at 2 in the morning with a guy who carries a handgun.

See all I am saying is there is no reason to try to rush this incredibly important decision.

And for example in the last line you say that he should have chosen to not hang out at 2 in the morning with a guy who carries a handgun...

Well how do you know Dailey knew he had a handgun? It is small little stuff like this that makes a big difference when it comes to guilt and intent and all that in the courtroom. That is the only reason I am saying we should slow down and not just assume we know exactly what happened from an initial little half page news blurb.

And I am not saying Rutgers won't get rid of this kid. I am just saying as the public and as a fan base lets not just jump to conclusions before we have definite facts.

They are definitely running out of things to say about Daily. Each article is a copy of the next except for a sentence or two.

1. Dailey arrested
2. Flood Gathering Facts
3. How did Dailey end up at Rutgers? ( Ahhhh....we recruited him?)
4. 5 things you need to know about Dailey.

The next headlines each day will be........

5. What does Dailey study at Rutgers?
6. What does Dailey eat for lunch and dinner?
7. Does Dailey wear boxers or briefs?
8. What are them 5 most popular things Dailey's HS teacher say about him?
9. Does Dailey like chicken fingers
10. Has Dailey ever been to subway?

They really are running out of material, but that won't stop Hacksaw from coming up with something.

They are definitely running out of things to say about Daily. Each article is a copy of the next except for a sentence or two.

1. Dailey arrested
2. Flood Gathering Facts
3. How did Dailey end up at Rutgers? ( Ahhhh....we recruited him?)
4. 5 things you need to know about Dailey.

The next headlines each day will be........

5. What does Dailey study at Rutgers?
6. What does Dailey eat for lunch and dinner?
7. Does Dailey wear boxers or briefs?
8. What are them 5 most popular things Dailey's HS teacher say about him?
9. Does Dailey like chicken fingers
10. Has Dailey ever been to subway?

They really are running out of material, but that won't stop Hacksaw from coming up with something.

Maybe we should call it those headlines : the Rutgers Dailey news

Reactions: MikeRU1766

It is not about talent, it is about life this how these things go down. Btw Rob Ennis Jr set to announce this week. Charges were dropped, he did lose his offer to Purdue. Again, he wasn't acquitted, charges were dropped.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT