ADVERTISEMENT

Darian Dailey arrested in Sarasota, FL

So if he is innocent he isn't FAMILY anymore ?????
He embarrassed the program. It is a privilege to play football at Rutgers and go to class for free. He no longer should be associated with the program.

If you are talking about family what about the family responsibility of the player to not embarrass the program? (????)

Like it or not this has made the Philly news. Just reported on CBS Channel 3

Pellet gun and he was a full participant. All for $20. Justin Francis used a fake gun. His was more clowning around in a dumbass way. He grew up from the incident and became a solid citizen. I think Dailey's incident was different and far worse.

Didn't Dailey just have an awesome spring and win an award for being the most improved defensive player or something like that during the Spring Game?
No he got "MOST-STUPIT" award
WHAT HE JUST BLOW ~$80,000 TO $100,000 IN A FREE EDUCATION
How much did the biker have on him $25-$100?
Do the math Darian! call you stupid is a complement

In Florida we have a 10 year mandatory minimum prison sentence for conviction of a crime with a gun. Armed robbery falls under that category. The decision about whether this kid ever plays again is probably not in Flood's hands but the hands of the prosecutor. Even if charges are dropped to a misdemeanor the best he can hope for under the mandatory minimum sentencing is 6 years probation which I assume would knock him immediately off the team. He better hope the charges are dropped completely or he is screwed.

Figure that Flood & JH have already had extensive dialog with the key RU legal / compliance/ admin teams & they are working against an agreed upon decision tree analysis - probably need only a few more verifications and then action will be taken.

Since it is now reported that; (a.) a black pellet gun (with out a red tip) was used & recovered from the car - and (b.) that $20 was stolen - this is looking terribly grim for Dailey.

Surprised that we have not heard them say that the police have confiscated the car - since it is probably being considered as having been used in the commission of a felony.

If true. I hope this wasted opportunity for him is enough to straighten out his head and change him for the better. He had a great future set for himself whether in football or not.

Now, hold on, this happened in Florida? Maybe the guy on the bicycle was wearing a hood, and Darian was simply "standing his ground."

Kid is too stupid to be in college; athlete or not. Ya gotta choose your friends wisely if you want to make something out of yourself.

If there is any truth to this, he's gotta go. I don't want him representing RU if he was involved even if he ends up not found criminally liable.

If you are stupid enough to throw your life away, at least go big. Hit a bank, not a guy that can't afford a car.

He is done at Rutgers. Good riddance.

Now imagine this... that pellet gun was taken for a "real" gun.. which it is.. it can permanently blind someone.. penetrate and nick an artery, etc. Imagine that the cops responding were on edge for some reason and they saw a furtive movement as a threat.. knowing the vehicle was reported as being involved in an armed robbery.

We could have a dead football player and/or idiot thug and a community in protest and rioting over the death of another young black man who only had a pellet gun.

Now imagine this... that pellet gun was taken for a "real" gun.. which it is.. it can permanently blind someone.. penetrate and nick an artery, etc. Imagine that the cops responding were on edge for some reason and they saw a furtive movement as a threat.. knowing the vehicle was reported as being involved in an armed robbery.

We could have a dead football player and/or idiot thug and a community in protest and rioting over the death of another young black man who only had a pellet gun.

Cute, but you're drawing parallels to events that never happened.

Reactions: FanuSanu52
20 DOLLARS?? this is like #1 on this list of stupid criminals

This is almost as stupid as the guy robbing the liquor store who told the clerk he wanted some whiskey on the way out. The cleark asked to see his I.D. to see if he was 21, and the police were at the thieves house minutes later.

$20 Darien, how could you risk losing a full education and possible NFL career to Bikejack someone for a few dollars? This is really disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rokodesh
"Don't rush to judgement" is an ironic statement coming from those who call FSU, Alabama, etc. "loose cannon" programs for doing what these posters are suggesting that RU do. Also ironic, considering these posters were calling Jamies Winston a thug before the trial.

If Rutgers football wants to be the program that its fans are convinced that it is, he has to go immediately.

We criticize other programs when the penalties do not fit the crime, not that did not act immediately.

Kid has stupid written all over him. The bike was probably worth more than the $20 cash they got, and they rolled up on the biker with the license plate viewable and the car was registered to his momma. They can't even do a robbery correctly. Hope the $10 was worth the 10 years in prison.

No direction from Julie yet or her superiors? This should not be a Flood decision alone. He coaches football not criminal law. He can kick him off the team just in fear of what would happen if some players cell phone is missing. What about the entire Campus community being at risk? Does it get much worse than face to face life threatening assault? Shouldn't the big shots take responsibility and not push this down to a football coach. Waiting to see.

No direction from Julie yet or her superiors? This should not be a Flood decision alone. He coaches football not criminal law. He can kick him off the team just in fear of what would happen if some players cell phone is missing. What about the entire Campus community being at risk? Does it get much worse than face to face life threatening assault? Shouldn't the big shots take responsibility and not push this down to a football coach. Waiting to see.

hey, why call anyone out on this? Its a situation that can be handled or not handled in many different ways. I have no problem with an athletic director staying out of this. It is simply your preference for JH to comment. I honestly don't remember ever hearing or wanting to hear from a program's athletic director over a player's arrest.

I strongly suspect that there are multiple "high ranking" minds participating in the managing of this process (some of them very familiar with criminal law ) . Keep in mind that so far, there has not been a lot of information for the public beyond the basic content of the police report. The basic information does leave the impression that this is cut & dried - and if that is the reality - then Dailey is most assuredly gone. But, if the basic information is slightly 'enriched' for any number of reasons & if the ultimate charges against Dailey end up being reduced dramatically to say, a "disorderly person" charge, there may be a slim chance for Dailey to survive.

hey, why call anyone out on this? Its a situation that can be handled or not handled in many different ways. I have no problem with an athletic director staying out of this. It is simply your preference for JH to comment. I honestly don't remember ever hearing or wanting to hear from a program's athletic director over a player's arrest.

Seizing an opportunity to show leadership and sending that message to the University community as a whole is what I am suggesting. This being not just about football is my opinion. Flood issues a statement, it's about football, Julie does it, it is about all student athletes, someone above her does, it is a message to all students and the community at large. We have a code of conduct that reaches off campus and policies regarding safety and respectful behavior in our community. It is their decision. If it sounds like the message is only to football players, it is an opportunity lost, in my opinion. Who releases the statement, or is at least named as responsible for the decision, no matter how detailed or benign, makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Seizing an opportunity to show leadership and sending that message to the University community as a whole is what I am suggesting. This being not just about football is my opinion. Flood issues a statement, it's about football, Julie does it, it is about all student athletes, someone above her does, it is a message to all students and the community at large. We have a code of conduct that reaches off campus and policies regarding safety and respectful behavior in our community. It is their decision. If it sounds like the message is only to football players, it is an opportunity lost, in my opinion. Who releases the statement, or is at least named as responsible for the decision, no matter how detailed or benign, makes all the difference.

If Flood and/or Julie made a quick decision before all the information is available, they would get reamed through the coals by the media , claiming they ignored the fact that all accused are considered innocent until proven guilty. Also many of the RU fanbase would be complaining about acting to quickly, citing all the information hasn't been released and .the kid's future shouldn't be jeopardized because RU chose protect itself instead of treating Dailey fairly
Another thing, Flood should be the face of any decision made, Julie should stay in the background but have it known she supports the decision Kyle made and was consulted before he made it.

There is enough time before a permanent decision needs to be made, but for now suspending would be the prudent course of action , but only
after enough info is released by the authorities so a rush to judgement claim can't be put on Flood or RU.
I expect that RU will announce his suspension in a couple of days after looking at all the available information they receive about Dailey's arrest from the Sarasota (Fla.) County Sheriff's Office.

Reactions: Blueblood4eva
If Flood and/or Julie made a quick decision before all the information is available, they would get reamed through the coals by the media , claiming they ignored the fact that all accused are considered innocent until proven guilty. Also many of the RU fanbase would be complaining about acting to quickly, citing all the information hasn't been released and .the kid's future shouldn't be jeopardized because RU chose protect itself instead of treating Dailey fairly
Another thing, Flood should be the face of any decision made, Julie should stay in the background but have it known she supports the decision Kyle made and was consulted before he made it.

There is enough time before a permanent decision needs to be made, but for now suspending would be the prudent course of action , but only
after enough info is released by the authorities so a rush to judgement claim can't be put on Flood or RU.
I expect that RU will announce his suspension in a couple of days after looking at all the available information they receive about Dailey's arrest from the Sarasota (Fla.) County Sheriff's Office.

Has Flood suspended Dailey yet ? I'm wondering why something hasn't been done by RU yet. Aren't the players reporting back to campus to start Summer school and begin the pre Summer camp conditioning program ?

At this time is Dailey welcomed back to report to campus ? I'm surprised that Flood is still gathering facts at this point.

Reactions: JQRU91

Agree that suspension is most prudent, a couple of days from now is fine and just about everything you said, except I think it is the student that should be suspended and not just the football player from the team. I wouldn't care if the communications director released the statement, if it was announced as a joint decision. Preferably including someone with broader scope than the AD.

Has Flood suspended Dailey yet ? I'm wondering why something hasn't been done by RU yet. Aren't the players reporting back to campus to start Summer school and begin the pre Summer camp conditioning program ?

At this time is Dailey welcomed back to report to campus ? I'm surprised that Flood is still gathering facts at this point.

Facts are still coming out about this case and I wouldn't be surprised if Flood announces his decision by Monday.
Dailey probably won't be on campus before announcement is made.
I believe he should be suspended, but it's been less than a week ( 4 days) since the arrest, so a few days gathering facts seems the wisest course of action and then make a decision based on the facts available..
Maybe it's not a suspension in the works , but scholarship revoked and that isn't something that should be rushed without getting legal advise.
Suspending the kid from team activities then revoking his schollie a couple of days later might just look worse than waiting 7 days to make a decision .

I expect the kid gone and not just suspended when announcement is made, that's why gathering all the facts that can be obtained is more important than rushing to announce a temporary punishment to appease those wanting to see the punishment handed out quickly .

No they wouldnt. They media isnt very forgiving of miscreants. Ive never heard the media complain that a student athlete who acted up didng get a fair shake.

No they wouldnt. They media isnt very forgiving of miscreants. Ive never heard the media complain that a student athlete who acted up didng get a fair shake.

The kid from Penn State who beat up the Jersey City (?) cop.

Thinking of the Liar who never misses an opportunity to knock RU for any and every move made.
Fair or foul, the Star Liar will use it against RU and being only 4 days since the arrest, time shouldn't have expired on when the decision should be made.
I feel after one week enough info should have been made available about the arrest and involvement , for RU to announce what they intend to do and I think Monday he will be off the team.

The kid from Penn State who beat up the Jersey City (?) cop.

Rashard Casey
And he didn't just beat him up. He and two other guys pummeled the cop(white) for having the audacity to be in the bar with a black woman. After he fell to the ground,Casey kept kicking the guy as he lay there.
Hudson County justice.....charges dropped for the local hero and PSU quarterback.

Rashard Casey
And he didn't just beat him up. He and two other guys pummeled the cop(white) for having the audacity to be in the bar with a black woman. After he fell to the ground,Casey kept kicking the guy as he lay there.
Hudson County justice.....charges dropped for the local hero and PSU quarterback.

Right - thank you.

My recollection of the press coverage at the time was that it was mostly about being sympathetic to Joe Paterno's whining.

Casey was never indicted and he sued the Hoboken police department for slander and received a settlement.

Julie is busy preparing her apology to bicyclists.

Casey was never indicted and he sued the Hoboken police department for slander and received a settlement.

That's great. But one of my best friends....was at my wedding in Jamaica...was bartending that night right there.
He saw the whole thing. And he said those three guys pummeled that cop until he fell and then continued to kick the crap out of him while he laid there. And my friend knows virtually nothing about football and could give two shits about Hoboken football, Pedd State football, or Rashard Casey. He only knew who the guy was 'cause other people standing there told him it was Big, Bad PSU qb Rashard Casey.
Now I know it's hard to believe, given Hoboken's awesome judicial system. But my friend has zero reason to make any of this up. It happened.

The Casey incident might be a little different, but shows rushing to judgement before a week is out , might not be the prudent thing to do.
But waiting the time it takes to see if Dailey is indited by the Sarasota (Fla.) County Grand Jury might not be a wise move either.
Rutgers must weigh the info on hand and decide to suspend Dailey or cut ties wiyth him, before this weekend is out.

Places like Penn St that is given media protection can get away with letting someone charged with a major crime go undisciplined untill they are indited or charges dropped. Rutgers doesn't have the same options of schools that protect their criminal element.
The media would crucify RU, while giving schools like Penn St leeway for letting a player arrested for a major crime stay on the roster until indited or charges dismissed.

Heck some of the RU fanbase refuses to support the RU AD and uses every opportunity they find to put her down.
Either way Flood goes on this , Julie will be made to look like she was doing something wrong.:chairshot:

ADVERTISEMENT