ADVERTISEMENT

Demise of SiriusXM Channel 91 (College Sports)?

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
Over the last few years SiriusXM Channel 91 has replaced Paul Finebaum, Bill King, and (after this week) Tim Brando with ham-and-eggers. Is the channel being undone by the SEC and BTN networks? The drop-off in the listenability and knowledge and personality of radio host is steep. The replacements are amateurs.

I stopped listening a while ago. The main reason was that they had SO many commercials. It seemed like they would spend half the airtime in a commercial break.

Bloomberg and Wharton Business channels are far more interesting.

Dropping Bill King was puzzling - he was the best listen. The guys replacing him are unlistenable - are frequent posters would do a better job.

I was HUGE fan of the SiriusXM Channel 91 - College Football radio. We're talking years I listened religiously. Once they dropped Paul Finebaum and Bill King I NEVER tune in. A couple of guys are ok. But "ok" doesn't get me to tune in.

Fools.

They used to have Bill King followed by Chris Childers in the morning. That was a great block of radio. Don't really listen anymore.

I basically stopped listening once Bill King was dropped. Replaced by McElroy (former Alabama and Jets QB) and another guy. More talk, less call-ins. Finebaum left on his own, I believe, and has a show on the SEC Network in the afternoons. Not a good listen anymore.

During the season, Eric LeGrand had a regular weekly spot on the evening show. I believe he appeared on Monday's. Can't remember the name of host.

I liked King & Brando. King tweeted that he returns to radio 5/4 but didn't mention where.

Finebaum & his show make my ears bleed. I'm not sure how anyone outside of SEC country likes him.

They used to have Bill King followed by Chris Childers in the morning. That was a great block of radio. Don't really listen anymore.

Agree ! King and Childers was terrific. Childers still with the channel I think. Not a big fan of Jack Arute, but when he's paired with Rick Neuheisel it's better. I have Sirius and Finebaum still comes on at 3pm on another channel in the 90s. My subscription just ran out, and with college FB being dead for a few months i probably won't renew until lat July. Hopefully a better intro rate by then.

My subscription just ran out, and with college FB being dead for a few months i probably won't renew until lat July. Hopefully a better intro rate by then.

They're super eager to cut you a deal. No one should ever pay the sticker price of like $20 a month. Just call and bargain with them - I got them down to about $7 a month. I'm locked in for like 3 years but that's fine with me because I love their programming.

For the most part, I will listen no matter who is talking. I really loved the channel during the season, particularly as they were looking at the playoff picture.

As for Brando, according to an article I found, it looks like he is leaving on his own accord:

“Retiring the show is something I felt I needed to do,” Brando said. “The success at Fox in general is the primary reason. It’s been 14 years, and I think it’s time to concentrate on what I feel I’m best at and have one full-time job instead of two.”

Brando did the play by play for our Wash St game last season, I listened from Costa Rica while on vacation. He was extremely well prepared, knew all the players on both teams, coaches styles and backgrounds, and even all the player background. This past BB season he was the voice of Big East Hoops. The guy is also a big rock music fan. And a good sense of humor.

Have never been a Chris Childers fan. The guy is enthusiastic and very happy to be on-the-air, but lots of noise and shallow/little substance. Not insightful enough. And talks too much about Notre Dinero. Billy Packer's son is not awful, but too glib, like Childers. I did love Packer's broadcasts that included Noo Yawker Bobby Cremins and those that included Phillipsburg, NJ-native/ex-Div III FDU-Madison head baseball & basketball coach/ex-Vermont coach Tom Brennan who has a lot of Bill Rafftery in him.

I agree completely about replacing Bill King with "The First Team". Taylor Sarza (sp?) is unlistenable. McElroy is getting better. He was awful when he first started.
Tim Brando is leaving them to focus on play by play gigs (says he can't continue with both and do both well), so that's not their fault. Childers is taking over his time slot and I am a big fan of his. Love his enthusiasm and he is knowledgeable. My only complaint with him is that he fell under James Franklin's spell when Franklin was at Vandy (Childers lives in Nashville).

I always threaten to cancel and get their standard $20 for 5 months deal. Have been getting the "promo" rate since the expiration of the first year I had it when Howard signed up. Just keep telling them no...or cancel and they email you right away with that deal. Its a pain to call every 5 months but I'm not paying normal rates.

They're super eager to cut you a deal. No one should ever pay the sticker price of like $20 a month. Just call and bargain with them - I got them down to about $7 a month. I'm locked in for like 3 years but that's fine with me because I love their programming.

I also enjoyed listened to Channel 91 ( Finebaum , King and Brando) but am not a Chris Childers fan. He's a type A personality with very little insight on the games. He belabors the obvious.

Terrible shame to lose Bill King , so now I am back to Howard, Zarzer and McElroy are amateurs.

Chris Childers is replacing Brando. Losing Bill King was a big blow to the channel.

I also enjoyed listened to Channel 91 ( Finebaum , King and Brando) but am not a Chris Childers fan. He's a type A personality with very little insight on the games. He belabors the obvious.
Agree. Childers blathers.

ADVERTISEMENT