ADVERTISEMENT

Does Mike Rice deserve a second chance?

higgins3

All American
Dec 15, 2012
A lot of us have expressed our feelings for rice, the poor image he gave our program,etc. I just watched an interview with him. It seems like he has tried to improve himself and bring his intensity down a notch.

Truth is, I was very mad with what happened. At school, videocameras were everywhere that week. It just gave us a bad image for a while.

Now,after seeing that video, I think I would hope he would get a job some place else. Why?Because he has a family to support, and doesn't seem to know that much besides Basketball.

What our program becomes from here on out is not greatly effected by Mike Rice. Did he give us a poor image for a little?Yes, but EJ has corrected that image.Kudos to EJ. Still, what we become from here on out depeneds on how well EJ can coach this team and how good the players become. Mike Rice no longer has a huge scar on this program. I don't think people will remember MR for that much longer. We will be judged on our win loss column, how well EJ and co do, and if we can become respected in this league. If we win games, people won't mention Rice. If we lose a lot of games, people will just see us as Rutgers-the bball program that continues to be very mediocre. The option is up to the players and EJ, not Rice.

What do you folks think?

Reactions: treauRU
Mike Rice is getting a 2nd chance....he is a high profile guy who was successful and is in the public's eye right now. From accounts from people on the message board he is blowing his 2nd chance.

Mike Rice is getting a 2nd chance....he is a high profile guy who was successful and is in the public's eye right now. From accounts from people on the message board he is blowing his 2nd chance.

Wha do you mean?Can he make a living teach AAU?

Absolutely yes!

Also think he should get another chance. He has shown remorse for his past actions and has vowed to act more appropriately in the future.

The man can coach basketball. I hope that he gets a chance soon.

I believe so,too. Especially after Bk mentioned all he did for the court club.

Yes, he didn't commit any crimes, should get a 2nd chance. I just hope he keeps his intensity but uses it for coaching points, not berating.

Mike Rice deserves a second chance as long as he understands and corrected what got him in trouble in the first place.
From what I've seen posted on this board, seems like he understands what he did wrong and has made an honest effort to correct that type of behavior.
Hopefully a lower level school will give him that chance or a major program will hire him as an assistant.

I firmly believe Mike deserves a second chance. I think he has learned from his mistakes. Mike is really a great guy who made mistakes because he wanted to win so bad. I hope he can at least become an assistant at a major school in the near future.

That isn't going to happen IMO.

Low level D-1 type school as an Assistant for a year or two will help him reinvent himself.

That isn't going to happen IMO.

Low level D-1 type school as an Assistant for a year or two will help him reinvent himself.
You could be right.
If Rice had more successful seasons as RU's HC, he would have been hired by a major program already as their HC.
I think he might be able to do better than :"Low level D-1 type school as an Assistant " and might be hired as the HC
at that type of school.
In any case I hope Mike R gets a chance somewhere, even at the HS level.

Keep in mind that if Mike Rice is hired in any capacity at the college level, ESPN will drag out the videos and show them over and over. Also, our friends at the Star Ledger will have a field day with all the RU references.

The man deserves another shot; I just don't like the backlash at RU that will follow. Rough question for me .

Hey Bruce Pearl got a job after sitting out two years.

But all he did was cheat and then lie about it.

Yes he should get a second chance. Everyone deserves one.....

People deserve second/third chances depending on the severity of their crime. I think a lot of us would agree on that.

Question-was it said this was a couple of practices or did this type of berating go on a lot?I think I heard this was only one of a few.

When you have a resume like Rice you make your own chances. The door is open. As I said before he has a 2nd chance. It is up to him.

Deserve - probably Will he get it ?- unclear

Is he unconditionally committed to the pursuit of a second chance - totally regardless of the associated hardship / difficulty ? - unclear

Part of what made Mike Rice who he was - was the intensity, the feistiness, the endless tenacity ... and a very, very low tolerance for mistakes and sloppiness. He never was and never will be Father Flanagan of Boys Town ... So Mike Rice would need to have effectively come to grips with himself and he would need to have figured out how he can make personal behavior course corrections while being able to still productively & positively harness his inherent skills and tendencies - this can be tough - and - can take time ...

Is he willing to start all over at the bottom? go anywhere - truly ANY backwater, Podunk location ? is he willing to take on a D3 team? or a Jr College team for 3-4 years (and with the risk that it might take 4 x longer than he might like) to demonstrate that he has the patience, perseverance, sincerity and commitment that will be necessary for any person in a hiring position at a D1 school to consider him again? ... or is he more focused on holding out hope that a lesser, very needy D1 might surprisingly turn to him and give him a shot - - - who knows.

I would like to see him get a second chance at a small rural Indiana high school.
Seriously he was out of line, but not that far. He should get a shot as an assistant somewhere and he would work his tail off.

You should see how many parents pay him to berate their children at the hoops group in Neptune. What they realize is he will make their kids a better player.

You should see how many parents pay him to berate their children at the hoops group in Neptune. What they realize is he will make their kids a better player.

Well, if he does what you're implying: his chances for a second chance will be slim if it gets out Mike Rice is berating childrenat the hoops group.
The type of criticism about their game given by Mike Rice to the kids , is something Rice has to be very careful about, if he wants that second chance at any college level or HS.

Well, if he does what you're implying: his chances for a second chance will be slim if it gets out Mike Rice is berating childrenat the hoops group.
The type of criticism about their game given by Mike Rice to the kids , is something Rice has to be very careful about, if he wants that second chance at any college level or HS.
When I say Children, let me be clear, high school boys. Hey you know what, you are who you are. Mike is intense and will let you know when your being soft. Not a trophy for everyone type of guy. Not for everyone, but right for some.

When I say Children, let me be clear, high school boys. Hey you know what, you are who you are. Mike is intense and will let you know when your being soft. Not a trophy for everyone type of guy. Not for everyone, but right for some.

Glad you cleared that up, big difference from the young kids between 10 & 14 ( I thought) to HS kids.
But intense or not, Rice needs to be careful how he instructs those HS kids.

wow. He embarassed our school to the max, bullied our kids and alienated good players from coming to RU....and you guys think he deserves to coach again. Unbelievable.

We are into second chances in our country, and what Mike did was blown out of proportion by a bored and bloodthirsty media. Prior to having seen the video but having heard about it, many folks from around the country had thought it was going to be horrendous and commented how it was nothing that didn't happen in their high school practices, let alone their college practices.

I always like Rice though he was just too intense on the sidelines.

Hope he lands a 2nd gig and becomes successful.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Rice deserves a second chance - 25 years ago what he did wouldnt have even been a blip on the radar, but in this day and age of the p*ssification of america it doesn't stand.

I firmly believe Mike deserves a second chance. I think he has learned from his mistakes. Mike is really a great guy who made mistakes because he wanted to win so bad. I hope he can at least become an assistant at a major school in the near future.
IF MURDOCK TRY TO EXHORT MONEY FROM RUTGERS AND BLOW UP THE PROGRAM RICE WOULD STILL BE HERE AND WE WOULD HAVE A WINNING RECORD BY NOW.

You know he's going to get a second chance (and I agree that he should), most likely at a lower level school which he will then take to the NCAAs like he did with Robert Morris. I put him in an HC job in three years and the NCAAs in six.

A lot of us have expressed our feelings for rice, the poor image he gave our program,etc. I just watched an interview with him. It seems like he has tried to improve himself and bring his intensity down a notch.

Truth is, I was very mad with what happened. At school, videocameras were everywhere that week. It just gave us a bad image for a while.

Now,after seeing that video, I think I would hope he would get a job some place else. Why?Because he has a family to support, and doesn't seem to know that much besides Basketball.

What our program becomes from here on out is not greatly effected by Mike Rice. Did he give us a poor image for a little?Yes, but EJ has corrected that image.Kudos to EJ. Still, what we become from here on out depeneds on how well EJ can coach this team and how good the players become. Mike Rice no longer has a huge scar on this program. I don't think people will remember MR for that much longer. We will be judged on our win loss column, how well EJ and co do, and if we can become respected in this league. If we win games, people won't mention Rice. If we lose a lot of games, people will just see us as Rutgers-the bball program that continues to be very mediocre. The option is up to the players and EJ, not Rice.

What do you folks think?
You know he's going to get a second chance (and I agree that he should), most likely at a lower level school which he will then take to the NCAAs like he did with Robert Morris. I put him in an HC job in three years and the NCAAs in six.
Agree for the 2nd chance

ADVERTISEMENT