ADVERTISEMENT

Etou transferring

Sorry, but Etou was one of the more solid players and to lose him is not good. I've given up on Eddie. What a waste of money on this guy.

Trust me on this . Etou's 's not the game changer we need at Rutgers in any sense of whatever that really is. Where do people think he showed this immense talent? He tanked it in many games. Perhaps some of this is on Eddie but more so on another player who thinks he deserves more opportunity.Eddie didn't pamper this child and so he 'll go to another team. Don't you think this is why he rode the pines at the end.

Perception loss only. Better to get Foreman, K Johnson and Laurent on the floor. Eddie's job is all about the '14 and '15 kids and who sign in November. The 15-16 record is virtually meaningless.

Etou cheated his way through international ball and hs ball by misremebering his age. Not exactly a high character endorsement. For the kid or the coaches who conveniently overlooked the deception.

Shaq and Lewis are going to have to play at the same time now. Not sure what Diallo will give us, I just forsee another "project". Foreman will need to do more dirty work rebounding the ball too. We are once again woefully thin up front.

This post was edited on 3/27 4:54 PM by S.W.A.I.N

Hate to lose the kid but if he doesn't want to be here...

c0209.gif

Not necessarily heart broken by the fact E2 is leaving, but really continues to make me scratch my head about EJ and staff.

Perhaps he was told he doesn't fit their system and shouldn't expect to be more that a 8pt / 7reb guy.

Just disheartening to see another transfer....

Yes, Eddie is the right coach. He's a tactician, he motivates, wins,
His players improve, he's an incredible recruiter, gets the fan base excited,
Shows up for important events, his team's continually get better, keeps players here, and there is hope for the future.

I hate to lose Etou too but there were games it appeared as if he didn't even care. If there was an age issue he will have to sit out a year and than play 2 years at another school. How old will he be when he is ready for any pro ball? Eddie praised him as a defensive player and he gets up and leaves. There were games that I wanted to see more of Foreman. He often was much more aggressive going for rebounds and taking it to the basket. Etou really doesn't seem to dribble too well and rarely ever drove hard to the basket. He settled for jumpers, too often too far from the basket and when under the basket for put backs. As a few others have stated, if he doesn't want to be at RU just let him go.

1) Not good to have ANOTHER transfer. no way to spin that

2) He isn't/wasn't very good anyway so I'm not sure that this hurts the team all that badly

3) Another in a long line of Rutgers players with poor offensive skills and who chips the orange paint off the rims

4) We will miss his rebounding which was Ok

5) would be nice if we could stop the revolving door though

6) Another scholarship is not a bad thing. however we MUST STOP GIVING SCHOLARSHIPS TO PLAYERS THAT SIMPLY TAKE UP SPACE ON THE FLOOR. This practice has gone on for FAR too long (this dates back to our last SIX coaches)

7) Now I'm sure someone is going to tell me how he was highly rated from HS. Yeah well if that's you tempted to say that just use your eyes as to what happened on the court this year. Unless he made the rare 3 or grabbed 2 rebounds in a row, most of the time you barely knew he was playing.

This post was edited on 3/27 5:22 PM by PatrickRU92

Nothing to add. Junior decided it was time to move on.

I wish him nothing but the best, as I do all the kids that have left RU.

Just makes me appreciate even more those that choose to stay...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It sounds crazy at 10-22 to be talking about a logjam at any position, but the reality is Etou can be replaced.

If you can get a Freeman (perhaps still a possibility) or a comparable player matched with Diallo, then there are minutes there. What you arent replacing is Etou's strength, rebounding and upside.....thought EJ didnt cater to Etou like perhaps he could have but even if he did at the expense of Mack & Jack, there is no guarantee this would not have happened anyway.....I think the staff knew Etou was going to bolt and therefore featured Jack and Mack, vs rewarding someone deemed as more valuable, just because he was an "Eddie recruit" and had 2 more seasons in his back pocket.

This is an overhaul that if it's executed properly (the two weekend visitors fit that bill or high IQ athletes with upside and team concepts), then this is not a loss....Can Eddie pull off BOTH is the question while considering to continue the pursuit of Freeman as Jack's and/or Etou's replacement.

Diallo softens this blow considerably but only if you land pieces now that offer that same athleticism and upside. Let's play out this spring and summer and see what the final roster looks like before going off the deep end.

Minland and Laurent offer more potential (to me) than earlier signings of Goode and Kejuan Johnson....Freeman is the ultimate wild card.

Foreman will get major minutes. needs to get in weight room and improve his shot. Etou seemed like he was a moody kid.

I didn't think that much of Etou either but when he's your best returning player on a team
With no B1G talent, it's a big deal

Originally posted by RUonBrain:
Not an effort guy
Wasted potential
See ya
one of the few guys on this team that moved on O without the ball

kid will do well at his next stop, bet on it !

what a shite show this program is

OnBrain,

Agreed. He held us hostage all last summer, according to a few very dialed into the program, and did the same all season this year. This could be addition by subtraction. Chemisty is an incredible (and fragile) thing. See Lance STEVENSON. Eddie shouldn't have let him come back after last summer. That being said, this WAS Eddie's first recruit, and there is no question it looks bad, especially to the masses.

Can't blame him. He certainly didn't get any better while he was here.
Who knows how much of that was his own fault. I think the right coach will develop him.

Well if you had confidence that EJ was in tight with some quality replacements then perhaps this would not seem so bad. Freeman would help but I think we are fall back option at best there. The reality is that getting a player with Etou's talent to come in at this point is unlikely. Yes he may have looked lost and not always had the best attitude but that entire team looked lost much of the time. I don't see how you can spin this positively. EJ and staff better be busting their butts looking for talent because right now the sum of what he has will require a coaching job beyond what he seems capable of to be competitive in many games.

Reasonable minds may differ on Etou's upside. I happen to think it's pretty high. But there is no debate that the routine of RU losing starters to transfer after their sophomore year is KILLING this program. And, I agree with those who say this one is a bad reflection on Eddie.

Lol...the oldtimers are numb to the pain...after Waters was canned my skin has a hard callous when it comes to bad news. Wtou woyld have came and left with no post season and maybe no records above 500 if he stayed

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Listen if you dont think Eddie is the right guy this is one step closer to him leaving after next year.
That's what I was thinking.
We all should know RU isn't going to eat Jordan's contract because Etou left and his leaving was talked about on this board during the season.
I don't blame Eddie, transfers happen to every program and RU is no exception.

Juniors potential might be hard to replace and his D as well, but he didn't play last season like he was irreplaceable
and some had complained about his play.
Let's see how Junior's replacement does next season before we clain the sky is falling and RU can't win without Etou

Originally posted by ImBadRU:
We know he will blossom some where else. He is big, strong, and can bound the ball. Masiello would make a player of him.
Like Gil did at Rhode Island
question.r191677.gif

Did Danny make a better player out of Biruta after he transferred to URI.
As for Masiello making a better player out of him , is just speculation and when Junior's eligible to play Steve might be moving upwards..
Also the quality of competition has something to do with how some players look like they are improving, or regressing.

So you might know, but I'm unsure and since Junior is leaving , just hope he graduates .
What he does or doesn't do as a player I really don't care, except hope he stays injury free.

This post was edited on 3/27 6:57 PM by MADHAT1

The Etou transfer is a fitting end to a season marked by a 15 game losing streak and a 2- 16 league record.Many fans previously stated that next season could even be worse not knowing about the Etou decision.Jordan faces a near impossible task where the competition is too strong,the squad is too weak and the backing by Rutgers Administrators isn't strong enough.

like E2 or not, he was our leading rebounder last year, with mack, jack and now E2 leaving it makes a bad team even worse

It was because of the "is anybody transferring?" thread from about 10 days ago. Apparently the jinx applies to transfers.

Not totally surprised as this was hinted at. This is on Eddie and doesn't make his job easier although really was a nonfactor...the good news is that it opens up another scholorship
Haha scholarship for who? a lightly recruited partial qualifier?

No..it really isn't.

Etou didn't want to be here. Nothing I can do about it, not losing sleep over it, and won't stop me in any way from supporting the guys still wearing the R.

Please stop trying to drag me into this drama filled world in which you live my man...don't need it
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by MozRU:
I feel sorry for you basketball fans.
I am a Rutgers fan. I feel bad for any sports at Rutgers not succeeding. I hope I don't go another 25 years before sniffing the NCAA dance.

THis hurts, he was a piece, not a difference maker, had every opportunity to be a difference maker, just didn't seem like he cared or was tough enough. I wish him well though.

Now lets see if Eddie can use the scholly to upgrade the position. That is really the big question now.

He was one of our better talents, but you don't win with guys like Etou. Serviceable talent, no heart, questionable head.

Rationalize this all you want. This progam is in much worse shape than it was in 2012-2013. And there is no chance the current coach will fix it. Disaster. And all this for 1.2 million a year.

Originally posted by 1984:
Listen do you really think the kid was goibg to be a difference maker...I didnt....we need far better talent and mentally tougher players here than Etou to move things forward
would have to agree. Appeared to be more part of the problem than part of the solution. Just wish he had turned on and kept on that switch inside him.
+1

Come crunch time he usually disappeared. Often looked like the last place on earth he wanted to be was on the basketball court.

Everybody just needs to relax. Just wait until Eddie gets his guys , then things will turn around. What, Etou was one of Eddie's guys! Spin doctors, please chime in.

ADVERTISEMENT