ADVERTISEMENT

Etou transferring

He'll be 23 this coming June, sits out a year for the transfer, plays again when he's 24 and grads at age 25, almost 26. Makes you wonder if he'd stick around for a senior year. It'll be interesting to see which schools now recruit him and where he lands.

This post was edited on 3/27 9:45 PM by RC85

I always liked Etou..always rooted hard for him...but like many have said, he played disinterested at times and it seemed like he did not fit in with his teammates...

Saw Etou at a FB game with Diallo and thought they would click but during the BB season, Etou appeared to be somewhat of a loner with no close friends on the team....this is just pure presumption on my part..

It's a loss as I was counting on Etou to be the leader of the team next year but hopefully EJ can use the available scholarship to his / our maximum advantage......

It's a loss as I was counting on Etou to be the leader of the team next year but hopefully EJ can use the available scholarship to his / our maximum advantage......
--------------
Well ok

Originally posted by Caliknight:

He was one of our better talents, but you don't win with guys like Etou. Serviceable talent, no heart, questionable head.
Bingo

If you don't want to play, then quit.
And that is what he did.
Quitter and not a team guy based on his actions on the court last season.
I think there was 1 game all year when I said, He played a good game with effort all game.
Just did not happen.

Etou was an 11th hour signing at a time when we were lucky to even fill out a roster. With his controversial pre college career, the real shock would've been that he lasted more than the 2 years he did. This was inevitable. To say that we don't need him is ludicrous despite his frequent disappearing acts.

Let's just wait until Eddie gets his guys here....oops.

Eddie's best recruit and talent is gone.

March 27, 2015 the basketball program has hit rock bottom.

Eddie Jordan is an absolute joke.

We will suck next year with or without Etou.

Now we're just going to suck a little more. Not a lot more, just a little more.

Maybe two years from now we'll suck a little less. But I'm not putting money on it.

Originally posted by ColonelRutgers:
Etou was an 11th hour signing at a time when we were lucky to even fill out a roster. With his controversial pre college career, the real shock would've been that he lasted more than the 2 years he did. This was inevitable. To say that we don't need him is ludicrous despite his frequent disappearing acts.
Put him with Campbell and Brown, only a little better.
Jordan had to fill out the roster and pulled in Craig & D'Von . also took a chance that Junior would be eligible.
Now with Etou gone, no roster fillers left
Junior leaving hurts worse then Craig and D'Von transferring out, but not the end of the world the way Etou played
last season.
His potential was there, but no one can say if he'll reach his potential elsewhere .

Some players have all the potential in the world and never reach it for one reason or another.
Even if they transfer, some just never reach the talent level they are supposed to have.
That's why Etou leaving isn't a big deal ( to me) , he wasn't the player he was supposed to be when he came to RU .

Next man up, last one gone.

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Lol...the oldtimers are numb to the pain...after Waters was canned my skin has a hard callous when it comes to bad news. Wtou woyld have came and left with no post season and maybe no records above 500 if he stayed
Being an RU hoops fan is reminiscent of those old skull and cross bone black T-shirts they used to sell at the Boardwalk that said: "the beatings will continue until morale improves."

Et tu, Etou ?
This one isn't transferring to Florida or Duke.
I don't think he brought much to the table, I didn't see the potential that some here claim to have seen, and we could have finished last this past season just as easily without him.
I wish him luck in the future, but we need better players. He was part of the problem, not part of the solution.
Let's move on.

Frustrating - not a superstar, but definitely a role player we could have used. Nothing has shown me that this NEW available scholarship will yield anything to be excited about. Going down the same road we've been on for a very long time.

I am hearing there are more.......possible transfers, although they are being misguided. One is a very good younger player. Hope you can keep him somehow.

This post was edited on 3/28 8:32 AM by Fzacsattac

Originally posted by Raritan83:

Listen do you really think the kid was goibg to be a difference maker...I didnt....we need far better talent and mentally tougher players here than Etou to move things forward
Difference maker? No but a piece, yes. At some point we just need to keep filling the roster with solid pieces to compete. Was never lighting the scoreboard but could defend and rebound. You need those two things. We weren't going to win next year but now it will be even less.
Every team needs building blocks, many times, non-flashy players doing dirty work...and Etou seemed like one of those players, as experience is sometimes hard to replace.

During his Fresh/Soph seasons, he started 51 out of his 58 games played (including all 31 this year), as he was the 3rd leading rebounder as a true Freshmen....and lead the team in rebounds this year...while averaging almost 30 mins played per game.

In regards to the late April signing period (actually, its the "normal" signing period with Nov signing period called the "early" period, when most top players sign these days), thats when some recently discovered JUCO players pop up on the radar screen for coaches looking for immediate help...and maybe a similar player can be found to replace him.

Originally posted by BKIn118:
No..it really isn't.

Etou didn't want to be here. Nothing I can do about it, not losing sleep over it, and won't stop me in any way from supporting the guys still wearing the R.

Please stop trying to drag me into this drama filled world in which you live my man...don't need it

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Is there a chance you would expand on this part a bit more if you know and able to share .. as in why?

Originally posted by thomasfoolery:
I guess, except nobody else really wants to be here either. I'm not sure I want to be here anymore
Strong candidate for post of the week. Well played Sir !

My only question is why Etou didn't leave last year when we all expected him to.

And I wouldn't be surprised about more transfers at all. I'd rather completely revamp the roster.

The roster is replacable. It's not like we're Kentucky. Or even Seton Hall at this point in time. The only can't lose guy on the roster for next year is Sanders, and even then, who knows if he'll be here?

Eddie Jordan has been here for two years.

Forget everything about the past two years record wise, they are gone. I could care less.

The condition of the program and composition of this roster - going forward - is all we should be focused on.

And after two years, and close to two million dollars in salary, my opinion is that both the program and the roster are a disaster.

This post was edited on 3/28 10:45 AM by ruman

Can someone please identify what exactly Eddie is doing that brings any level of confidence that the ship is being righted?

The way to turn it around here..

The way to turn it around here..

Short version: Commit to Gonzaga's early approach and get lucky with a coaching hire.

1) Commit to using 5th year senior led teams.

- Gonzaga could not recruit with the bigs.. so they looked for program guys who would redshirt and end up playing as 5th year seniors.

2A) Hire a coach who can recruit this area and will commit to step 1.

2B) Hire a coach that plays a style that kids in this area will love... aka NOT the Princeton offense.

2C) Hire a coach that can DEVELOP talent. If you commit to using 5th year seniors.. they best get BETTER year by year.

I have nothing against Eddie. He is a good man to have taken on this challenge. But he needs a better plan than the one he has.

We can do ALL OF THE ABOVE without significant upgrades to the arena and practice facilities. It would be great to have both... but this is how you can completely change things here.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:

Originally posted by thomasfoolery:
I guess, except nobody else really wants to be here either. I'm not sure I want to be here anymore
Strong candidate for post of the week. Well played Sir !
Second +1, great post.

Originally posted by RU-ROCS:

Lol...the oldtimers are numb to the pain...after Waters was canned my skin has a hard callous when it comes to bad news. Wtou woyld have came and left with no post season and maybe no records above 500 if he stayed
Being an RU hoops fan is reminiscent of those old skull and cross bone black T-shirts they used to sell at the Boardwalk that said: "the beatings will continue until morale improves."
61D47%2BwtFYL._UL1500_.jpg

I have no idea what drove the Etou transfer, and we can debate all day about wanting to be here, not wanting to be here, but this program first and foremost needs stability, you can't have a never ending revolving door. the program is toxic in the NY/NJ geo area, EJ ties to the DC area seem to have evaporated, now our primary recruiting area is Florida? RU is the state University of NJ, like the other big Ten Teams we need to have a presence in our state. The tournament rosters are filled with NJ kids, not all of them were/are 4's and 5's. I am not saying there isn't room to recruit other geo's, but we need to re-establish stability and work/build our local relationships admittedly not easy or quick, but necessary.

Not too surprising. The only thing that did surprise me this season was how ineffective Etou was and how disinterested he seemed on the court. Good luck to the young man.

How many times did he make you cringe when he stepped to the free throw line ?
He was part of the problem not part of the solution.

We finished last in the B1G with Etou in the starting lineup this season. We won't lose any ground this season with him gone, especially with a less than winning attitude on his part. Sayonara baby.

Honestly I thought he underachieved the last 2 years given his size and physical abilities. Will be surprised if he finds success in the future against equivalent competition in college.

Another in a long line of guys who regressed over their careers regardless of the coach. .I am shooting for the class of 2022 in Jersey. I hear there care some fabulous 5th graders out there......
ohwell.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Fzacsattac:
I am hearing there are more.......possible transfers, although they are being misguided. One is a very good younger player. Hope you can keep him somehow.

This post was edited on 3/28 8:32 AM by Fzacsattac
We have a very good younger
player?

Originally posted by Knightmoves:
We finished last in the B1G with Etou in the starting lineup this season. We won't lose any ground this season with him gone, especially with a less than winning attitude on his part. Sayonara baby.
Players never develop/improve during their 4 year careers?

Etou was the 3rd leading rebounder as a Freshman....and was the #1 rebounder as a Soph.

He couldn't improve even more as a Junior and/or he can easily be replaced by an incoming Freshmen?

If you continue to think that way...it will be a revolving door and no one will ever be able to develop during their career.

This is a gigantic blow to our program that couldn't afford one. I didn't think it could get any worse. Looks like it will.

how is gigantic? The loss of Mack and Jack are far more gigantic in terms of what they provided. It hurts numberswise but Etou did not show anything his past two years that would indicate he was ready for a big leap up. He disappointed this year given the chance. He played major minutes both years and got plenty of experience but improvement wise it didn't seem to be coming. The team finished with 15 losses in a row and a 2-16 conference record, the loss of Etou does not change the fact that next year the team was facing the same scenario, so now perhaps they win 2 or 3 games less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT