ADVERTISEMENT

Family blasts Rutgers for letting historic mansion 'rot'

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
When the family sold the 18th century house to Rutgers University for $1.2 million, the children said they were happy to hear the school planned to turn the historic property into a new house for the university's president.
But, 12 years later, Rutgers is now selling the dilapidated propertyand the Miller family is accusing the state university of letting the historic house 'rot' due to neglect.

http://www.nj.com/education/2015/10/family_blasts_rutgers_for_letting_historic_mansion.html

This is typical of Rutgers but it has a lot to do with budget cuts due to lack of state funding. There were so many historic buildings around campus that were demolished. The buildings that used to occupy the grease trucks lot were gorgeous.

Reactions: RU22
This is typical of Rutgers but it has a lot to do with budget cuts due to lack of state funding. There were so many historic buildings around campus that were demolished. The buildings that used to occupy the grease trucks lot were gorgeous.
Blame our State government, not Rutgers.

Reactions: RU22
Were they forced to sell it to Rutgers?

If the answer was "no" ... my opinion would be that they need to shut up.

Sad? Yes. Historic? Yes. Their property and their business? No.

Part of the problem that I have is Rutgers should have either planned better in the first place so to not waste that money buying it, or they should have sold it once they realized they had no use for it any more.

Exactly, the family was well compensated for the property. They have no right to dictate what is done with the property.

If it bothers them so much, but it back and fix it up.

I think I'm with Daneman. If the family had wanted, it could have insisted on restrictions in the deed or for the property to automatically return to the family if the University didn't maintain it properly. But that would have meant the University would not have been willing to pay so much for the property.

I think I'm with Daneman. If the family had wanted, it could have insisted on restrictions in the deed or for the property to automatically return to the family if the University didn't maintain it properly. But that would have meant the University would not have been willing to pay so much for the property.
Pretty sure NYC has something similar with regard to the land a firehouse is on.

True and the family specifically did not try to get historic designation while they owned it because they didn't want the restrictions that came with it. They wanted it preserved and maintained but by someone else. Now they're sad their family home is probably going to be bought and demolished. I understand why they're upset from a sentimental perspective but pointing fingers at Rutgers just makes them feel better by trying to relieve themselves of any part in its demise.

I love history and old buildings. I hope this home is restored and I wish Rutgers had done so but the economics didn't work. It was actually a very responsible decision at the time not to invest all that money in a new house for the President. It wasn't a smart use of dollars and the press would have killed Rutgers for doing it. The question of the building's decay under their watch isn't something I can speak to but I know it wasn't in great shape when they bought it.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
296144153_10229470514737437_6125868101747399340_n.jpg

296236190_10229470514497431_3667164745130363378_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT