ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Advisory Board Members

Scarlet16E

All American
Nov 22, 2005
Stoddard, NH
I know you've already had your last meeting of the summer, but I had an idea that I think deserves some attention. If you agree please forward this idea to your contacts in the Athletic Dept.

Rutgers should paint a scarlet line along the sidewalks, pathways, and streets that make up the most direct walking route between the RAC and the Stadium. Signs and announcements could simply say "Follow the Scarlet line to the RAC after the game", etc. If desired, it could also be painted along the preferred pedestrian route from the stadium to College Avenue.

This would be similar to the blue line that NYC paints along the marathon route, except that it would stick to pedestrian friendly paths and sidewalks, only crossing streets where necessary.

This would be something that makes it much easier for visitors and others who are not familiar with the campus layout to find their way. It also would not cost very much at all.

That, my friend, is a solid idea. They have consistently expressed concerns about how to manage the unmanageable RAC situation.

Put a red line from the north exit all the way to the RAC. You could even write the distance to go a few times along the way.

I know you've already had your last meeting of the summer, but I had an idea that I think deserves some attention. If you agree please forward this idea to your contacts in the Athletic Dept.

Rutgers should paint a scarlet line along the sidewalks, pathways, and streets that make up the most direct walking route between the RAC and the Stadium. Signs and announcements could simply say "Follow the Scarlet line to the RAC after the game", etc. If desired, it could also be painted along the preferred pedestrian route from the stadium to College Avenue.

This would be similar to the blue line that NYC paints along the marathon route, except that it would stick to pedestrian friendly paths and sidewalks, only crossing streets where necessary.

This would be something that makes it much easier for visitors and others who are not familiar with the campus layout to find their way. It also would not cost very much at all.

As an upcoming visitor to your campus soon, I like this idea!

It won't happen in time to help me, so I am going to depend on the kindness of the Rutgers fan base.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
I feel like as long as the only route from the stadium to the RAC is relatively indirect and, at least partially, involves heavily trafficked roads the school isn't going to go out of its way to encourage people to walk.

That is a great idea. I hate when people come up with great ideas that I should have thought of. Lol. Football helmets or footballs stenciled on the ground leading to the stadium. Nets or basketballs stenciled on the ground leading to the RAC. Damn what a great yet simple thing to do.

The only problem I envision is how do you see the line in a mass of people? Perhaps combining it with route signs would help.

Sounds like what they have atladdingtin station for the heathrrow express

It is a great idea bc you can never get lost

I feel like as long as the only route from the stadium to the RAC is relatively indirect and, at least partially, involves heavily trafficked roads the school isn't going to go out of its way to encourage people to walk.
Well they did put out a map of the walking route. Trouble is that few visitors will have downloaded and printed the map. The painted line is there even for those who have done no planning or preparation.

I really don't picture that many people walking.... but RU made this map already for this season.

04-30_RAC-to-Stadium-Walking-Route-01.jpg

That's a very good idea. Rather than having an Advisory Board member take all the credit, you should email Ryan Pisarri (Julie's chief of staff) directly. His email is rpisarri at scarletknights.com

Reactions: mkollar
replace Line with Block Rs... that read correctly when walking TOWARD the Stadium. Follow the RRRRRRRs

I feel like people are overestimating the number of people that would do this walk. It's very far to get to the stadium . Some people might do it in perfect weather if traffic is god awful (which they should make the buses their own lane if they don't already )

I feel like people are overestimating the number of people that would do this walk. It's very far to get to the stadium . Some people might do it in perfect weather if traffic is god awful (which they should make the buses their own lane if they don't already )
It's approximately the same distance as High Street is from Ohio State's Stadium. 50,000 OSU fans don't seem to have a problem with the distance.

It's probably unrealistic, but it would be cool if Piscataway zoned some bars & restaurants for Davidson Rd next to the apartments. Heck, even putting a fraternity row there would make it seem like it's a much shorter walk.

I was recently in Memphis and there are blue tiger paws all over the streets near he campus of Memphis State -not necessarily directional but a nice touch - the idea for something like this at RU is excellent.

ADVERTISEMENT