ADVERTISEMENT

Ferren Mall site (w/ renderings)

Originally posted by Cofifa:
Ok before you all get hysterical this is a rendering put together to represent scale for a number of presentations . We are actually in engaged in discussions with tenants that could take over 1/2 million sf of commercial space including office and research in the bio tech , life science , financial services , and technology sectors. We also assume that there will be at least 500 residential units and 100,000sf of retail space.
THERE is NO design.....we need to continue to master plan the site to include parking, connectivity, public spaces etc. this preliminary plan shows platform extension and bridge connection which is currently under design and fully funded .
There will be no wall....but we assume the buildings will connected at upper levels . Parking will be underground. [/B]
But....this is the scale some of these building will be very tall...we will keep you updated
If any of you have constructive suggestions....great examples of other 4 acre sites, or can recommend a name please post or send to me at cpaladino@devco.org or call me at 732-249-2220 .....
If you don't have constructive recomendations I will take aloof, wtf, bad, stupid as general critiques
Hallelujah. Underground parking is a significant investment but well worth it in the long run.

My concern with underground parking is the water table. I assume we're talking at least 2 or 3 subterranean floors. And the site is also 3 blocks from the Raritan. Projects upstream designed at stemming floodwaters from affecting Bound Brook and South Bound Brook will inevitably affect areas downstream, notably NB.

You dont have to worry about a water table. That's what engineers are paid to do. ;)

Besides, the apartments along the river have underground parking and so does johnson and johnson.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We have successfully built underground DRY parking at a two level depth....can't go to three however

Actually Matt the design we are working with (KPF is our master planner) includes a public promenade of over 80 feet wide and traverses the site which forms the retail district and in addition we include a landscaped park much like the one you feature ....we use lower scare buildings 4-5 stories to frame the public spaces withe the taller buildings on the corners. The lower scale buildings will most likely be housing over retail and hospitality

Originally posted by Cofifa:
Actually Matt the design we are working with (KPF is our master planner) includes a public promenade of over 80 feet wide and traverses the site which forms the retail district and in addition we include a landscaped park much like the one you feature ....we use lower scare buildings 4-5 stories to frame the public spaces withe the taller buildings on the corners. The lower scale buildings will most likely be housing over retail and hospitality
That sounds good. Will look forward to renderings.

Durham...

Although Duke proper is a solid 10-15 minutes to the resurgence. But Durham is turning into Williamsburg south. Vibrant, eclectic food, live music, art scenes. Farmers market every weekend 40+ weeks of the year. Booming "locally" sourced economy. Developers and business people are rehabbing old historic structures like crazy. Gentrification taking place all over. New mid to high end housing stock being built on the periphery. Enough medical, academia and high tech jobs within 30 minute commute to create long term sustainability.

Might not be "the" model for New Brunswick, but can be "a" model. Both probably have similar low income populations number wise. New Brunswick would actually have an advantage in public transportation, high end entertainment (although Durham not all that far behind) and access to financial sector jobs (NYC, Jersey City and PNC tower on 18).

Raleigh and NB are really nothing alike. For one, Raleigh is HUGE geographically. Second, it has region best in class museum and theater, whereas NB has best in state--point being, we probably don't get people from southern CT, Eastern PA or Philly coming to the State Theater all that often, where Raleigh does get people from VA coming to some of the cultural destinations.) Second, it has several high end neighborhoods--at least 3 of them--which NB could only dream about right now. Fourth, whereas RU-CAC anchors NB in many ways geographically, NC State is on the edge of town. Unless you live in the one gentrified neighborhood down there or otherwise had business on NC State campus, you have no reason to be there. There is like 1 restaurant within walking distance of NCSU that anyone over 30 would patronize on a regular basis by going out of their way.

Raleigh also has all the economic benefits of being the state capital, having the convention center and the pro hockey team, in addition to 2 or 3 Fortune 500ish companies located downtown.

NB isn't going to draw people from as far because those people have closer options. NYC is closer for someone from CT, and it has the most options in America in terms of culture. In the South, everything is way more spread out- Raleigh is the closest culture for a very spread out group.

Hipsters are increasingly everywhere now...basically anywhere where there a professional opportunities and restaurants and bars that appeal to people under 35, you will see them...New Brunswick and most of our smaller cities in this area included. Traveling the country I've seen them in the South, Midwest, Texas, West Coast...just not as obnoxious as Williamsburg. The Austin ones are the most absurd though.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
NB isn't going to draw people from as far because those people have closer options. NYC is closer for someone from CT, and it has the most options in America in terms of culture. In the South, everything is way more spread out- Raleigh is the closest culture for a very spread out group.

Hipsters are increasingly everywhere now...basically anywhere where there a professional opportunities and restaurants and bars that appeal to people under 35, you will see them...New Brunswick and most of our smaller cities in this area included. Traveling the country I've seen them in the South, Midwest, Texas, West Coast...just not as obnoxious as Williamsburg. The Austin ones are the most absurd though.
Yeah the reasons are obvious and had nothing to do with the central point of my post. I simply offered it as a point of explanation for those that might not be familiar with the region.

Originally posted by Korbermeister:
This is what may replace the ferren mall... New Brunswick Today posted about it here
http://newbrunswicktoday.com/article/devco-releases-new-design-potential-skyscrapers-replace-abandoned-ferren-mall
I like this rendering a lot more than the earlier one. Much more sleek and modern, and it appears as if there's some sort of open communal space in the middle of the buildings which is essential IMO.

Still surprised (in a good way) at the proposed scale of these buildings. If that building on the far left of the picture is Spring Street the larger buildings would be approaching 30 stories.

Originally posted by DosCoreys:

This is what may replace the ferren mall... New Brunswick Today posted about it here
http://newbrunswicktoday.com/article/devco-releases-new-design-potential-skyscrapers-replace-abandoned-ferren-mall
I like this rendering a lot more than the earlier one. Much more sleek and modern, and it appears as if there's some sort of open communal space in the middle of the buildings which is essential IMO.

Still surprised (in a good way) at the proposed scale of these buildings. If that building on the far left of the picture is Spring Street the larger buildings would be approaching 30 stories.
This rendering is certainly an improvement. Gotta get street level right. Otherwise the place becomes a cold monstrosity. I would want to see plentiful outdoor seating (both public and cafe/restaurant), for one thing.

Wow! That's intense. Even though the aesthetics do not fit well with the Rutgers campus nearby, This still may turn out to be great for New Brunswick by attracting a lot of major firms having a satellite office between NYC, Philly and Washington DC. And having these nearby companies could help with job recruiting for graduating seniors.

Originally posted by RU MAN:
Wow! That's intense. Even though the aesthetics do not fit well with the Rutgers campus nearby, This still may turn out to be great for New Brunswick by attracting a lot of major firms having a satellite office between NYC, Philly and Washington DC. And having these nearby companies could help with job recruiting for graduating seniors.
Lets hope NB, Middlesex County and NJ think the same thing.

Doesn't seem much different than the other rendering we saw. Where is the public space?

I hope this isn't the final design. Reminded me of Metro Park or those boring buildings near the baseball stadium in Trenton.

mpbqn9wyzsphfdiy25nq.png

If you look closely, you can see an opening near the red art installation thing that I assume is the entrance to the public space. Hopefully they will make the building layout available

Originally posted by e5fdny:
Originally posted by RU MAN:
Lets hope NB, Middlesex County and NJ think the same thing.
Very true.

Originally posted by Scarlet Craig:
Doesn't seem much different than the other rendering we saw. Where is the public space?

I hope this isn't the final design. Reminded me of Metro Park or those boring buildings near the baseball stadium in Trenton.
This needs to be more than an office park. This should NOT be NB's version of the Gateway Center in Newark.

It's great to attract new business to New Brunswick. However, it is better to do that AND create a project that improves the actual experience of being in New Brunswick. To do that, you've gotta gotta get the public space and ground floor usage/tenants correct.

Here's a larger shot of that first rendering and a second one from a different angle from the NY Yimby blog. The language quoted from the DEVCO press release is comically hyperbolic with its mentions of Paris and Florence, but I do think the renderings have some promise. The second one in particular seems to show an array of pedestrian passages and public space. Obviously lawmatt is right that a lot hinges on what kind of ground floor retail tenants end up being there.

This post was edited on 12/9 10:36 AM by DosCoreys

http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/12/new-look-kpf-designing-the-hub-in-new-brunswick.html#.VIWx-YQeG_o.facebook

I have always disliked renderings from the perspective of someone above the proposed building. I think they hide the actual on-the-ground impact of the proposed building. And, as in this case, they give no sense of public space.

The site takes "cues from a few of its predecessors - the Uffizi
pedestrian street in Florence, the street-side cafés of Paris, and
Spanish canopied courtyards."

Ha. But I do like that they are breaking up the site, allowing people to walk through it.

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:
I have always disliked renderings from the perspective of someone above the proposed building. I think they hide the actual on-the-ground impact of the proposed building. And, as in this case, they give no sense of public space.
Agree. A project like this should always have a rendering that shows the pedestrian experience/perspective.

Originally posted by lawmatt78:
Originally posted by camdenlawprof:
Agree. A project like this should always have a rendering that shows the pedestrian experience/perspective.
a college roommate, an architecture student, taught me long ago that in the context of a dispute over a building proposed to be built along the Bay shoreline in San Francisco. The building was never built. Thanks to Allan Feuer, wherever he is.

Thanks for posting the site plan . We are working on pedestrian level renderings

This is nice and all, but are they ever going to either restore or build a new train station? If New Brunswick is going to call itself the Hub City, it should probably start with the one place where most people are going to see first. I understand it's an old building, but something has to be done about both it's exterior and interior. The inside is dirty and outdated while the outside looks run down and unsightly. A new, beautiful station would be great for New Brunswick.

Originally posted by sct1111:
This is nice and all, but are they ever going to either restore or build a new train station? If New Brunswick is going to call itself the Hub City, it should probably start with the one place where most people are going to see first. I understand it's an old building, but something has to be done about both it's exterior and interior. The inside is dirty and outdated while the outside looks run down and unsightly. A new, beautiful station would be great for New Brunswick.

NJ Transit knows it is old and needs rehab work. Here is a a list of upcoming Capitol NB station projects:

NEW BRUNSWICK RAIL STATION ELEVATOR

Project Scope:
The project will construct a new passenger elevator at the southwest corner of the main station building, providing access to both the first floor of the station and to the eastbound platform from street level.

Project Cost:
Approximately $2,500,000

Schedule:
Anticipated completion - Winter 2015
Benefits:
The new elevator will make the first floor station building accessible for riders with special mobility needs; and, provide an additional means of access to the eastbound platform.

NEW BRUNSWICK STATION PLATFORMS

Project Scope:
Construction of an extension to the existing high level platform.

Schedule:
Design underway
Advertise construction contract winter 2016

Benefits:
A longer platform will improve passenger loading, reduce dwell time and help reduce crowding.

NEW BRUNSWICK STATION REPAIRS

Project Scope:
Brick re-pointing and repair; paint steel and wood replace platform stair; new platform tactile edge and surfacing; and, sidewalk and plaster repairs.

Schedule:
Design underway
Advertise construction contract winter 2015
Benefits:
State-of-good repair maintenance.

I believe that the building is owned by New Brunswick and not by NJT or Amtrak and is listed on the National and
State Historical Registeries
so i assume that alterations to the building have to go thru a lengthy vetting process.
IMHO the main issues with th NBTS is the configuration and interior design of the ground floor with the DD and the flower shop. I've slowly come to the conclusion that the entirety of the ground floor should have been rented out and the entrance to the station relegated to the side doors facing easton ave. As of now, the Albany st. entrance is a dark, dingy passageway that is mostly populated by homeless when the station is closed and because of this, using the atm therein feels unsafe.

I believe that the building is owned by New Brunswick and not by NJT or Amtrak and is listed on the National and
State Historical Registeries
so i assume that alterations to the building have to go thru a lengthy vetting process.
IMHO the main issues with th NBTS is the configuration and interior design of the ground floor with the DD and the flower shop. I've slowly come to the conclusion that the entirety of the ground floor should have been rented out and the entrance to the station relegated to the side doors facing easton ave. As of now, the Albany st. entrance is a dark, dingy passageway that is mostly populated by homeless when the station is closed and because of this, using the atm therein feels unsafe.
Agreed. It's definitely not a pleasant way to enter New Brunswick. I'm glad they built the gateway on the other side, but for anyone using the train to get to these new Devco buildings, the Albany Street entrance is awful. I really hope they spruce it up because it needs to be restored. The waiting room upstairs is pretty bad too. For a historic place, its not very well kept.

Thanks for posting the link lawmatt. Cofifa, are larger versions of the renderings available? I can't seem to make out much from the pictures posted in the linked article.

Interesting stuff. Personally, I like the look of the renderings, and wouldn't be too sad if the business on Paterson St. got bulldozed. Most of the buildings are old houses converted to lawyers offices, and IMO the only redeeming architectural quality any of them have is the location of Clydz that makes it feel like a speakeasy (and thats a big part of their ambiance).

The only things I've ever been worried with about this project is the potential loss of Clydz and the Court Tavern, other then that I wish shovels were already in the ground.

Originally posted by HPNJRUfan:

The only things I've ever been worried with about this project is the potential loss of Clydz and the Court Tavern, other then that I wish shovels were already in the ground.
This was my concern as well. Clydz obviously doesn't look like much from the outside but their interior is probably the most unique and charming of any establishment in NB. It would be a shame to lose it. And the notion of them "relocating" into some sterile retail spot in the new development is a bit depressing.

I can recall reading plans for redevelopment in other cities, NJIT's redevelopment plan in Newark comes to mind, that emphasized the importance of working new construction around buildings that were worth keeping around. Would it really be that difficult to carve a small little corner out for those buildings at the corner of Paterson and Spring to remain?

Clyde gets first shot at picking a new location within the project....outdoor seating ....whatever works for the,....they have become a New Brunswick institution. We are getting new street level renderings shortly. If anyone would like them please send me a note with address at cplaladino@devco.org and I will mail or email them to you when they are available

ADVERTISEMENT