ADVERTISEMENT

Few thoughts re: RU vs Nebraska

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
Thought Rachel Holivay played very well.

B. Laney's motor was on overdrive. Just tenacious on D.

Tyler can be very careless with her passing. Thought she looked gassed at end of game. May have contributed to missed free throws.

Thought refs called several fanthom fouls on our gals, ie Scaife, Canty, Laney, Holivay, Cooper. Missed some on our gals getting hacked.

CV going to press late, disrupted momentum & rythym Huskers were starting to build.

Overall D was just tough. Playing such a running offense & really agressive D may take a bit of a toll on some of our gals late. Still believe it is the way to go. Love our running O. Have never seen it from CV.

At one point late in the first half, I remarked to my wife that the Nebraska players are much better than ours at working the refs, and started to think of them as the Cornfloppers (especially the player who got two quick fouls called on Hollivay). It seemed to improve in the second half.

The starkest example was probably when Laney accidentally hit a girl in the face and the refs went to the monitors.... but then a few plays later, Laney gets an elbow to the jaw that forces her to stagger back three steps and the refs just ignore it. Lesson in that is that she needs to fall down and hold her face (Laney did play up a later foul a bit and got the call). I've largely cut back on complaining about bad refs for being bad, we need to adapt to bad refs and get the bad/questionable calls to go our way more often.

Nebraska's #23, Cady I believe, elbowed her way down the lane to the hoop over and over again. Must more aggregious than some of the touch fouls they called on Hollivay and Canty. I hate to see a ton of fouls called, but gotta call it consistently either way.

Very good recap. I think we have to realize that when we play hard nose man defense, it takes a lot out of the players.
That was probably why, (tired legs) we saw so many missed shot at the end of the game. We sacrificed or offense for defense.
Nebraska is a very good team and there was no way we were going to run over them. Plus give the other coach some credit, she made some very good counter moves.

Hurry back Coach Tasha Pointer, we miss your comments on the post game show. Can't believe how the post game analysis glossed over the 17 turnovers. Coach Pointer would emphasize that the goal is to be "under 10 turnovers". Why the need for those NFL-style long passes that don't connect? Surely this must drive CVS crazy. How about those 10-point leads that fade away with all the turnovers? And, can we survive, long-term, shooting 30% from the floor?

17 turnovers was not acceptable. But give some credit to the tough defense the corn dogs were playing. We had few fast break attempts because Neb was getting back on defense. Long passes that were there in other games were denied by Neb, They took our fast break offense away from us.

Originally posted by rimsky:

And, can we survive, long-term, shooting 30% from the floor?
No. But the season average is 43.7%.

And here are the shooting stats for the last five games:

Penn State 38.8%
Purdue 43.6%
Minnesota 42.9%
Wisconsin 38.0%
Maryland 41.8%

So last night was an aberration. In fact, it looks like it was the 2nd-lowest shooting percentage of the year. (Tennessee was slightly worse.)

FWIW, free throw shooting was unusually bad last night, too. The team shot 53.3%, and averages 70.3%. In this game, that's probably 3-5 points they lost (considering the impact of missing front ends of 1-and-1s).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT