ADVERTISEMENT

Football Five named to 2023 All-Big Ten Offensive Teams

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
Last edited:
Is this a joke? How in the world is Monangai not on one of the all-conference teams, and not just honorable mention? First in total rushign yards, just behind Henderson in yards per game, playing on a team with a worse OL than Henderson, Corum, or Braelon Allen (the other three near the top in yards per game). Henderson missed three games, Allen missed one. In no universe should KM be lower than 2nd team if you put two of the others on the first team.

Reactions: newell138
Is this a joke? How in the world is Monangai not on one of the all-conference teams, and not just honorable mention? First in total rushign yards, just behind Henderson in yards per game, playing on a team with a worse OL than Henderson, Corum, or Braelon Allen (the other three near the top in yards per game). Henderson missed three games, Allen missed one. In no universe should KM be lower than 2nd team if you put two of the others on the first team.

Is there a list of the full teams anywhere? I keep seeing just team specific posts (similar to TKR article above).

Reactions: RUDead
Reactions: NickRU714
From the Rutgers article linked.

Rutgers Football All-Big Ten Honors
Second Team (coaches): RB Kyle Monangai
Second Team (media): RB Kyle Monangai

Correct. The OP is wrong. 2nd Team not HM.
From the Big Ten (coaches and media) themselves.

1st Team:
RB Blake Corum (Michigan)
RB TreVeyon Henderson (Ohio State)

2nd Team:
RB Kyle Monangai

Offense Honorable Mention: Hollin Pierce (both), Bryan Felter (media), Gus Zilinskas (media), Langan (media)

https://bigten.org/documents/2023/11/29//2023_All_Big_Ten_FB_Teams.pdf?id=9533

My apologies he made second team, I misread the email.

I knew Monangai would be 2nd team because we're not part of the good-ol'-boys network. Michigan's entire OL made 1st or 2nd team, Yet Corum had a lower yards-per-carry average than Monangai. Henderson had almost 250 yards less than Monangai. And look at the passing attack both Ohio State and Michigan had: they both benefited from that.

I knew Monangai would be 2nd team because we're not part of the good-ol'-boys network. Michigan's entire OL made 1st or 2nd team, Yet Corum had a lower yards-per-carry average than Monangai. Henderson had almost 250 yards less than Monangai. And look at the passing attack both Ohio State and Michigan had: they both benefited from that.

2nd might be worth of discussion/disagreement but is not a travesty.

Not having a red zone offense is part of problem.
Michigan 1st teamers include: QB; TE; G; OT; C - practically the whole OL wins something.
That's how one guy gets 22 TDs and another gets 7
Michigan on goal is practically a lock for TD instead of FGs

My first reaction was how the hell did Monangai only make 2nd team?
But looking at Blake Corum (Michigan) further - I can see the argument.

22TDs v. 7 TDs is a big number when most other numbers are pretty close.
Monangai should have at least 5 more touchdowns. He would get us down there for Wimsatt to take the one-yard plunge. He's our Wendal Brown to Schiano's Coach Bud Kilmer. I had to laugh when Schiano pointed to the fact that Wimsatt accountant for 18 TD's this season and how could you not like that or criticize him.

Monangai making second team is exactly where I thought he'd land (obviously, behind Corum). There's just no way that coaches/media would allow the conference's rushing leader to make 1st team if there's a Michigan or OSU player out there that hasn't already been selected for the honor.

Regardless, congrats to Kyle. Fantastic accomplishment this season!

Sorry Michigan has a better line. A joke and their OOC schedule was a joke.

Last edited:
Monangai should have at least 5 more touchdowns. He would get us down there for Wimsatt to take the one-yard plunge. He's our Wendal Brown to Schiano's Coach Bud Kilmer. I had to laugh when Schiano pointed to the fact that Wimsatt accountant for 18 TD's this season and how could you not like that or criticize him.
GW had 4 1 yd TDs. The other 5 were from 5+ yds out. Don’t think that would get him into the 1st team.

ALL-BIG TEN SECOND TEAM (COACHES & MEDIA)

— RB Kyle Monangai

ALL-BIG TEN HONORABLE MENTION (COACHES & MEDIA)
— OL Hollin Pierce

ALL-BIG TEN HONORABLE MENTION (MEDIA)
— TE Johnny Langan
— OL Bryan Felter
— OL Gus Zilinskas

BIG TEN SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD
— DL Mayan Ahanotu
From where they were in 2022, having 3 OL as HM is crazy. Shows who was the best hire we have had here in years.

We could be B1G champs and Ohio and Mich would have 4 each on O and D B1G teams.
they are the Big Ten ask anyone.

Not the preferred flavor of the day by the media and not on pre season picks. How this player is not first team is a F…ing tragedy.

Reactions: shields
TDs really shouldn't be a major differentiator, as that's much more of an "opportunity" stat based on how good one's offense is and not how good the RB is, and one could argue that KM ought to get even more credit for leading the B1G in rushing, given that he was on a largely one dimensional offense where he was the primary option, as opposed to Corum, whose offense had a wealth of talent, including probably the best QB in the B1G. KM ought to be first team.

TDs really shouldn't be a major differentiator, as that's much more of an "opportunity" stat based on how good one's offense is and not how good the RB is, and one could argue that KM ought to get even more credit for leading the B1G in rushing, given that he was on a largely one dimensional offense where he was the primary option, as opposed to Corum, whose offense had a wealth of talent, including probably the best QB in the B1G. KM ought to be first team.
Also a premier blocker a much needed skill by an all around RB. Kyle literally got screwed and it should be noted.

Reactions: RU848789
Michigan would feed Corum when inside the 5. Great finisher, but to point at all those TDs he rolled up...c'mon now. Just reading stat lines versus watching the games.

They also do not have to play themselves (against their own defenses).

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I believed he would end up 2nd team. And it is most likely fair. He had a few games that he was just a non factor...you just cant have that and expect to be first team.

Yeah. Mostly I think the newbies get treated okay and were welcomed into the conference, but we do still get shafted on these all-star teams.

LOL, Maryland quarterback leads in almost every category, and became the all-time conference leader in yardage, while Michigan's quarterback was barely trusted to throw a pass by the end of the season (and wasn't great head to head against Maryland) but makes first team. LOL.

Monangai should have been first team. Case closed.

(edited to correct spelling, sorry about that)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
The offensive line must be pretty good with three listed. Why did Al mention that we didn’t give GW good protection?

The offensive line be pretty good with three listed. Why did Al mention that we didn’t give GW good protection?
The guys on the OL most likely graded out super well in the run game. Also, keep in mind, GW did not get sacked much- but much of that was because of him and not so much, the pass blocking. But the lack of sacks also helps our OL grades.

When it comes to these Conference awards- I take them with a gain of salt. Even back in the BE days- explain how Forst was on mult Conference awards and yet, Haslam never even got an HM on his way to the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT