ADVERTISEMENT

Flood at Bergen Catholic camp today

RutgersRob,
Josh played on my nephews' National Champion AYF team a few years ago. I do NOT claim to be an expert on scouting talent. All I can tell you is that after watching thousands of kids play baseball,football, and basketball, I have never seen a kid playing on such a different level than everyone else. He had spins and moves that I just couldn't believe a kid his age could do. From what I could tell,he seems like a good kid and his Uncle seems like a guy who will really watch out for him as the coaches start lining up.

was there to see two incoming Freshman, two guys that were offered as 8th graders...Antonio Alfano who is huge and Josh McKenzie who will be starting safety at BC and is a stud wrestler as well...
Interesting because it would be an NCAA violation. It it outside of the two 15 day block they are allowed to participate in camps. It would also be a violation because it is outside the permissible evaluation period.

PSU Nut,
I am sure this is OK--no way that the Rutgers coaches would be at a camp at one of the most well-known high school programs in the country if it was not within NCAA rules.

Delete thread

Why because someone from PSU states there could be violations with no knowledge of the actual circumstances. Even if it were, I am sure a PSU fan could advise RU how to pretend nothing ever happened and get any sanctions reduced. We could then put up a statue to Flood in honor of his hard work today.

Interesting because it would be an NCAA violation. It it outside of the two 15 day block they are allowed to participate in camps. It would also be a violation because it is outside the permissible evaluation period.
It's not a HS camp, my understanding is it's a camp for kids held at a HS. For all we know his kids are attending.

http://www.crusaderfootballcamp.com/home.html

Reactions: Leonard23
Just remembered,I believe the head coach at Bergen Catholic is a brother or cousin to Rutgers wide receivers coach Anthony Campanile.

It doesn't matter. Coaches can only attend or participate if they fall within the two 15 day camp windows the school uses. Rutgers used their days in June. That is according to NCAA rule 13.12.1.1.4
So a college coach isn't allow to go watch his son practice at a local camp? Can he also not go watch his daughter HS recital if it falls during a dead period?

You know what's an NCAA violation? Harboring a pedophile for decades and covering it up to protect a football program. GTFOH.

It doesn't matter. Coaches can only attend or participate if they fall within the two 15 day camp windows the school uses. Rutgers used their days in June. That is according to NCAA rule 13.12.1.1.4

Dude, get a life and stop trying to concoct recruiting violations. I am impressed by your knowledge of the rules, not really.

Do you not have anything better to do than lurk on this site? You really need to find something meaningful to do in your life.

Last edited:
13.12.1.1.4 pertains to Basketball. I'm assuming you meant 13.12.1.1.3 which states:

====================================================================
Scheduling of Institutional Camps and Clinics 1.

FOOTBALL: An institution's football camp or clinic may only be conducted during two periods of 15 consecutive days in the months of June and July or any calendar week (Sunday through Saturday) that includes days of those months (e.g., May 28 - June 3) and must be conducted on the institution’s campus (PAC-12 SPR 5-5-a). The dates of the two 15-day periods must be on file in the office of the athletics director [NCAA Bylaw 13.12.1.1.3]. A football camp may not be conducted during the 14-day dead period that begins on the last Monday in June unless July 1 falls on a Monday. If July 1 falls on a Monday, the14-day dead period begins on July 1.

Seems to me 13.12.1.1.3 pertains to a university conducting a camp. Doesn't say anything here about a coach visiting one. But then again this looks pretty technical and I'm not a lawyer ... although I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Last edited:

FOOTBALL: An institution's football camp or clinic may only be conducted during two periods of 15 consecutive days in the months of June and July or any calendar week (Sunday through Saturday) that includes days of those months (e.g., May 28 - June 3) and must be conducted on the institution’s campus (PAC-12 SPR 5-5-a). The dates of the two 15-day periods must be on file in the office of the athletics director [NCAA Bylaw 13.12.1.1.3]. A football camp may not be conducted during the 14-day dead period that begins on the last Monday in June unless July 1 falls on a Monday. If July 1 falls on a Monday, the14-day dead period begins on July 1.

Seems to me 13.12.1.1.3 pertains to a university conducting a camp. Doesn't say anything here about a coach visiting one. But then again this looks pretty technical and I'm not a lawyer ... although I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
agree AND remember, this wasn't a HS camp. It was for little kids……...

I think the problem was with the OP started this thread. This is a recruiting quiet period so if Flood was there to evaluate student-athletes as the OP suggested that would be a violation but if like others have said he was there to watch his son compete then it's probably fine. I believe it falls under incidental contact caveats. Those happen all the time.

No legs. Rutgers can't run a camp. Just like schools can no longer run out of state camps. You are free to attend if someone else is running it.

13.12.1.1.4 pertains to Basketball. I'm assuming you meant 13.12.1.1.3 which states:

Sorry I had the wrong one. The window is defined in the previous rule.

Noninstitutional Camps and Clinics

•Football:

•FBS: Limited to two periods of 15 consecutive days in the months of June and July or any calendar week that includes those months.

•FCS: Limited to June, July and August or any calendar week that includes those months.

Bylaws 13.12.2.3.2 and 13.12.2.3.3

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f... and Tryouts-Advanced Application ONLINE.pptx

Sorry I had the wrong one. The window is defined in the previous rule.

Noninstitutional Camps and Clinics

•Football:

•FBS: Limited to two periods of 15 consecutive days in the months of June and July or any calendar week that includes those months.

•FCS: Limited to June, July and August or any calendar week that includes those months.

Bylaws 13.12.2.3.2 and 13.12.2.3.3

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/DI Recruiting Camps, Clinics and Tryouts-Advanced Application ONLINE.pptx
You know it's a pee wee /pop warner camp ages 8-14. This kind of youth camp is not covered by any NCAA reg

You know it's a pee wee /pop warner camp ages 8-14. This kind of youth camp is not covered by any NCAA reg

Again, I think it comes down to the way the OP presented the info. According to the OP, Flood went to see kids that have scholarship offers as 8th graders and will be incoming freshman this fall. The fact that its a camp or not means little as the quiet period prohibits face-to-face contact of student-athletes. What others have suggested and much more likely is Flood had incidental contact with the student-athletes because of another reason for being at this event. Whether Flood had a kid at the camp or is a relative of someone running the camp or whatever, his primary purpose for attending was probably not to get face time with those two kids.

And how crazy is it that 8th graders can be offered scholarships to college. That's really something the NCAA should address.

Again, I think it comes down to the way the OP presented the info. According to the OP, Flood went to see kids that have scholarship offers as 8th graders and will be incoming freshman this fall. The fact that its a camp or not means little as the quiet period prohibits face-to-face contact of student-athletes. What others have suggested and much more likely is Flood had incidental contact with the student-athletes because of another reason for being at this event. Whether Flood had a kid at the camp or is a relative of someone running the camp or whatever, his primary purpose for attending was probably not to get face time with those two kids.

And how crazy is it that 8th graders can be offered scholarships to college. That's really something the NCAA should address.

Psu fans seem to the experts on youth camps and what can and can not occur at these camps.....oh the irony.....move folks, and focus on what goes on at PSU youth camps....please.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT