ADVERTISEMENT

Flood said there will be many commits in June ....

Regardless if any rules were broken, given his recent history in this arena I would prefer if Flood would just take the high road at this point and zip it. I'm not a public Flood basher, but nothing good can come out of that quote; especially if it doesn't come to fruition.

It is just a very general comment. I did not see the video, so I do not know the context, it could have been in response to a question about recruiting.

If he said something over the top like we are going to have the best class in the B1G, I could understand people not being happy with this. I want my coach being positive and upbeat out in public.

I would say 75% of the board is either in the "Flood is worse than Shea" or "Flood is better than Saban" camp and anyone who comes somewhere in the middle will be attacked for anything perceived to differ from those lines by the same people. The polarization is frustrating and baffling. I do feel that more reasonable discussion was had in the GS days.

Come on. NO ONE has ever said Flood is better than Saban. Hopefully no one has ever said he's worse than Shea. Let's at least post honestly.

I like Flood a lot. I think he gets the best out of what he has but anyone can see he's got major recruiting issues, not all his doing but he's the guy in charge.

Reactions: geoman
I would say 75% of the board is either in the "Flood is worse than Shea" or "Flood is better than Saban" camp and anyone who comes somewhere in the middle will be attacked for anything perceived to differ from those lines by the same people. The polarization is frustrating and baffling. I do feel that more reasonable discussion was had in the GS days.
I'd say a good number of the pro-Flood group are there because 1) he is not Schiano (who had his strengths but definitely weaknesses as well) and/or 2) recognize the financial situation we are in, understand he is here and he will be here for at least another few years, so they support him and hope for the best

I am just as happy with the hidden gems that come on board in June as I am with the 4 star guys. Anybody the staff gets to sign this early is almost certainly someone who they believe will be a big contributor IMO. Is that living in reality? I don't give a crap.

IMO White Bus is so angry, it is humorous to read his posts.
Another reading comprehension challenged poster. My, my. Can you even tie your own shoes anymore. You are one of those that go ape ship when someone speaks the truth and not your delusional views

Whitebus- question specifically for you. Are you happy with our recruiting this year? Only this year?

Come on. NO ONE has ever said Flood is better than Saban. Hopefully no one has ever said he's worse than Shea. Let's at least post honestly.
I haven't seen anybody say he was WORSE than Shea. But I have seen people liken his recruiting to Shea, and say that it is currently at Shea levels.

I haven't seen anybody say he was WORSE than Shea. But I have seen people liken his recruiting to Shea, and say that it is currently at Shea levels.

Wow. They need to go back and look at Shea's recruiting.
Shea couldn't successfully recruit his own son.

I like Flood a lot. I think he gets the best out of what he has but anyone can see he's got major recruiting issues, not all his doing but he's the guy in charge.

I'm using hyperbole, because both the pro and anti Flood crowd does. Anyone who has never second guessed some Flood's choices in recruiting, assistants, or game day decisions is fooling themselves, but those who think Flood needs to get every top NJ player, or who refuse to credit some better recruiting and assistant decisions, are also fooling themselves.

The problem is that for someone like me, who will be very happy about Flood getting some diamond in the rough players, but who will also wonder why we went for it from our two against Nebraska but not midfield against ND, will get pummeled from both camps who refuse to allow reasonable discussion.

I don't normally agree with WhiteBus but he has a point that some people take any Flood criticisims as a personal attack or attack on the University, which never hppened in the GS days.

I'm using hyperbole, because both the pro and anti Flood crowd does. Anyone who has never second guessed some Flood's choices in recruiting, assistants, or game day decisions is fooling themselves, but those who think Flood needs to get every top NJ player, or who refuse to credit some better recruiting and assistant decisions, are also fooling themselves.

The problem is that for someone like me, who will be very happy about Flood getting some diamond in the rough players, but who will also wonder why we went for it from our two against Nebraska but not midfield against ND, will get pummeled from both camps who refuse to allow reasonable discussion.

I don't normally agree with WhiteBus but he has a point that some people take any Flood criticisims as a personal attack or attack on the University, which never hppened in the GS days.

"which never hppened in the GS days"
45dadbd9551fa0faa1b84d1023b0b038279608fd1274725f104df76ddd7ce5e7.jpg

Not the same way it does now it didn't. I don't recall posters asking the mods to ban people for criticizing GS too much.

NIOH- even those of us that really like Flood, do not have a blind eye to some of his early failures. His choice of some assistants were a joke or in some cases, just the wrong person. He F'd up big time in playing such hardball with some recruits and again, the assistants HE hired, just were lazy on the recruiting trail.

I, like many others who support Flood very strongly, would have had Zero problem if he was let go after the 2013 season. I would have still preferred to give him a chance because I do know what kind of man and coach he is and can be but I would have understood the change. With the caveat that it was done the right way and he was replaced with the right guy.

He wasn't let go and all indications is that he is really growing into this job. The reason some get blasted by us is because you have the same group of guys that bring nothing new to the table or any thought, they just want to fire him fire him fire him.

Don't forget we should not have hired Patridge because of the massive "pipeline" we were building to the north jersey catholics. We didn't want to anger any of those coaches. Some good that is doing right now....

Another reading comprehension challenged poster. My, my. Can you even tie your own shoes anymore. You are one of those that go ape ship when someone speaks the truth and not your delusional views

Keep up the good work on the clever insults. You really nailed it. Due to vertigo I was having trouble tying my own shoes. It took several months of therapy, hard work, and good fortune; but I have almost completely overcome it. Thanks for your concern.

I find your version of "the truth " to be fascinating, so keep it coming. Maybe it will wash away my delusions and substitute yours instead?

Reactions: RU Husky
NIOH- even those of us that really like Flood, do not have a blind eye to some of his early failures. His choice of some assistants were a joke or in some cases, just the wrong person. He F'd up big time in playing such hardball with some recruits and again, the assistants HE hired, just were lazy on the recruiting trail.

I, like many others who support Flood very strongly, would have had Zero problem if he was let go after the 2013 season. I would have still preferred to give him a chance because I do know what kind of man and coach he is and can be but I would have understood the change. With the caveat that it was done the right way and he was replaced with the right guy.

He wasn't let go and all indications is that he is really growing into this job. The reason some get blasted by us is because you have the same group of guys that bring nothing new to the table or any thought, they just want to fire him fire him fire him.

Once again the voice of reason.

That's fair but I do see it as even in terms of both sides never willing to either critique or concede any positives. Hopefully that starts to change.

I'm on the fence about Flood, like others have said, he is a good guy, runs a clean program, and he does seem to be learning and getting better.

The problem for us is this was the wrong type of coach to hire at this point in the program. Everything about the program was on an upward trajectory...perception, expectations, and even recruiting was looking up. That trajectory didn't change until after Flood got thru his first season and hasn't been anywhere near were it was when he took over. Flood has everything he needs to be successful, yet he is still struggling to sell the program. Like it or not, the most critical thing he has to be able to sell is himself as the HC. He can talk about all the positives that Rutgers can offer athletically and academically until he is blue in the face but if he can't sell his vision and his ability to actually lead this program to championships then he will probably continue to struggle in recruiting.

The fact is, Flood always talks about first impressions. You only get one chance to make a first impression and it better be a good one. Well Flood's first impression as a head coach hasn't been spectacular. Yeah, we were in a 4 way tie for the BE championship but we had arguably the most talented team in our history that was picked to play in a BCS game. Then we go 6-7 in a WEAK AAC, we were again picked to win the conference but fell way short. Because of those first two seasons under Flood expectations were drastically reduced for our first B1G season. The perception changed to, if Rutgers can't win in those two weak conferences, how can they possibly compete in the B1G?

I give Flood credit for exceeding expectations last season but you have to accept the fact that he was the reason those expectations were lowered in the first place. So if fans and analysts lowered their expectations for Rutgers over the past 3 years, then why wouldn't recruits and HS coaches? IMO, Flood dug himself into a hole by underachieving early in his tenure. He needed to have big success early because he was basically unknown...no resume, no track record, and no experience. Flood established an identity early on as a head coach and IMO he is still trying to improve if not change that impression. As he says, first impressions are everything.

Kj- I can easily say that Greg Schiano may not have done any better these last 3 years on the field. I will say that Greg's recruiting classes would have been better by ranking.
I wish people would stop with the 2012 team being so good. The defense was that good and they played like it but, the offense was not going to be good regardless of the coach and ST's were horrendous. That was not a great team. You need to be good in all 3 areas to be great. I think a Schiano D stops Ville but not sure a Schiano O could have been in that game.
And was Flood the perfect choice to replace Schiano, even I say he wasn't ready. But we were paying pennies and Greg left us in a very bad position. I don't see a single coach that was mentioned back then that I would want here now.

Reactions: ssstevem
Too bad he couldn't predict how many DBs we would lose by June. First there was Dailey and now tweets are bouncing around that grades have knocked out Barnwell. Austin better be ready to start...

yesrutgers01, I hear what you're saying. Although I disagree, I respect your opinion. In fairness to Schiano he spent the early years here trying to build a program. We all hated it but he talked a lot about the process, building a foundation, and saying the program was too young to be judged by wins and losses, etc. But he earned a reputation as a good evaluator of talent and a great teacher of technique and fundamentals. That's why the Patriots got involved with so many of our players. Everyone says that Belicheck loves Rutgers players, I think a better analysis is that he loves Schiano's players.

I remember in one interview Schiano stated that one of his most important jobs was to be able to coach the coaches effectively. He knew it was important to ensure that every coach was coaching the players the right way and to the standard he expected. Over the years, GS made small statements like that that gave you confidence that he knew what he was doing. More importantly his budget for assistants was probably lower than Flood's but he was able to go out and identify good young coaches that he could develope. My point is that you could buy what Schiano was selling. A lot of people may not have liked the way he did things or his personality but he knew what he was doing. With that said, whether Schiano would've done better in wins/losses over the last 3 years, well that's all speculation and opinion but I personally believe that a Schiano coached team would've definitely beaten Vtech in the bowl game.

My post in this thread wasn't intended to be a GS v KF type of post. In fact, I don't think I mentioned GS at all. The point I was trying to make is that while many are speculating what Flood needs to make him a better or more effective recruiter, I would suggest that he had more when he took over than any other coach in our history, yet some believe he needs more?

IMO, Schiano didn't leave Rutgers in a bind. He did what was best for himself and his family. Rutgers was unprepared for his departure and when it came to make a hire, they did what they always do, they went cheap. Nothing says CHAMPIONSHIP like hiring a lifetime position coach for $350,000 a year to be your head coach. The reason why you didn't hear of any decent candidates is because not many decent coaches would accept that.

Too bad he couldn't predict how many DBs we would lose by June. First there was Dailey and now tweets are bouncing around that grades have knocked out Barnwell. Austin better be ready to start...
Barnwell what?
tumblr_m9l304sW3X1qg4c28.gif

There's a difference between stupid and wrong.

I was wrong. The comment, if he made it, was stupid.

And you're just a dick. So... I think I still pretty much come out ahead.
Wow, you are a grade-A douche. You are wrong about what Flood said or didn't say & Flood can absolutely comment about recruiting generally, so he comment is not stupid. You just come off a total d!ck so often that I wonder if something is wrong with you. I know mental illness run in your family so I wonder if you have some type of delusion disorder.

Wow. They need to go back and look at Shea's recruiting.
Shea couldn't successfully recruit his own son.
As somebody who was on the beat at the time, I agree wholeheartedly with your point. With all due respect to any players who suited up for Rutgers during that era, of course, but they're just not comparable.

Why are they waiting until June? If they are set to commit, there is no advantage in waiting.

Why are they waiting until June? If they are set to commit, there is no advantage in waiting.
Check out who else is committing to the program or taking the last of your visits , to make sure you really want to go to that school.
Nothing wrong with waiting, even if you made up your mind.
These are kids that might just want to make sure their decision is the right one.
Nothing wrong with waiting, even if you feel you know where you want to go.

Flood can talks about commits but not individual players. So saying "commits will happen in June" is not a problem. Keep in mind that the coaches do not want kids making a commit and then changing their minds. So coaches are telling kids not to commit until the are sure RU is where they want to play.
Barnwell I believe is premium information. And he has the summer to get his grades in order so I'm not sure why that needed to be put out here.

I almost spit my coffee out. These kids will not be able to take an official visit for another couple of months. There are only a handful of kids that get the "free" unofficial visits with the red carpets rolled out. The others have earned the right to take their 5 free vacations.

I almost spit my coffee out. These kids will not be able to take an official visit for another couple of months. There are only a handful of kids that get the "free" unofficial visits with the red carpets rolled out. The others have earned the right to take their 5 free vacations.

Again, why have they waitied until June?? The OP said there will "many commits in June". If they announce whether in June or before they still won't be able to take OV, so I asked why did they wait until June.

Continue with your spitting of coffee.

Again, why have they waitied until June?? The OP said there will "many commits in June". If they announce whether in June or before they still won't be able to take OV, so I asked why did they wait until June.

Don't know if we are going to get commitments or not in June, but the OP was only repeating what FLood said. Here is his quote: " there will be a lot of commitments in June I can't talk about that people are going to be very excited about. "

Thats when the camps are, you get commits during camps.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Thats when the camps are, you get commits during camps.

I thought the quote from Flood was talking about specific commits (especially when he said he couldn't talk names), not commits in general.

OK, now understand he was talking that historically commits can be expected this month.

I thought the quote from Flood was talking about specific commits (especially when he said he couldn't talk names), not commits in general.
QUOTE]

I'm not sure if Flood specifically said "he couldn't name names," I believe that was pointed out by a poster who knows what he's talking about; yes there are some of those on this board. A coach can make general comments such as "I'm very pleased with the way recruiting is going." No names, just generalities

Well, it looks like Flood was right about June commits.

ADVERTISEMENT